WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    i have a UL hammock but in the summer time or Bug season i don't use it
    my WBBB 1.1dbl is my Comfort item on the trail...i only allow myself 2...
    if your going to drop weight leave alot of the comfort items at home

my setup for summer is
    WBBB 1.1 dbl with Dynaglide WS 24.8oz
    OES Micro tarp 8.5oz with lines and hardware
    DIY UQ 11.3oz
    JRB Stealth 15oz (Also acts as my Parka on cold nights)

my base weight for summer is 7lbs 2.4oz so you can go UL with a WBBB
    just need to cut weight in other areas ....
    Couple quick questions for ya, and if you aren't sure, I'll take the proper time to go and figure it out. I'm sure the answers are buried somewhere in the archives of this website.

1. Any idea how much lighter the Dynaglide WS's are compared to both the stock strap and cinch buckle suspension that comes with a WBBB as well as 7/64th Amsteel Whoopies? I'm sure the latter is meere grams, but just curious.

2. OES Micro. If a heavy summer shower rolled in, how would you feel being under it? For me, the line is not between "comfortable" and "acceptable," but between "acceptable" and "why am I getting wet?" Hahaha. As long as it will keep me dry in a heavy rain (I'll take a little bit of wind blown rain if I have to, especially if it's summer and warm) then it sounds great to me.

3. That DIY UQ... IX? Down? Whatcha got? I'm thinking about making a summer UQ out of two layers of IX, and am curious as to what its finished weight will be like.

I've already got my summer base weight down to sub-8 pounds, but thats with a WBBB DL 1.0 (with stock straps) and a Sil WB Edge. (Total it's somewhere around 2.5 lbs.) At this point, I'm well within the realm of "acceptable" weight in my mind. If I were going on a trip with friends for a night or two, I'd definitely bring a few luxury items without feeling overburdened. The only reason I ask any of this is cause, like any decent gear head, I'm curious as to how far I can push it, and it still all "work."

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    tendertoe put this together:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...6&d=1298479053

1. you save quite a bit with dynaglide.

2. the micro offers great coverage for summer in my opinion. its a "cute" tarp
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    tendertoe put this together:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...6&d=1298479053

1. you save quite a bit with dynaglide.

2. the micro offers great coverage for summer in my opinion. its a "cute" tarp
    Awesome spread sheet! Thanks for passing it along. And yeah! 7/64th Amsteel is 3 times heavier per foot than Dynaglide! More than I expected, but it still only translates to two ounces. (My DIY 7/64th whoopies weigh 38 grams each.) Two ounces is better than nothing, but I'll trade out for my DIY WS's before I go out and buy/make Dynaglide WS's. I can cut much more weight in other places currently.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1. Any idea how much lighter the Dynaglide WS's are compared to both the stock strap and cinch buckle suspension that comes with a WBBB as well as 7/64th Amsteel Whoopies? I'm sure the latter is meere grams, but just curious.

well stock WBBB 1.1 Dbl is 27oz .... with Amsteel WS i got 25.5oz ... and with Dynaglide WS i got 24.8oz so you will save some .. not much but every little bit helps

2. OES Micro. If a heavy summer shower rolled in, how would you feel being under it? For me, the line is not between "comfortable" and "acceptable," but between "acceptable" and "why am I getting wet?" Hahaha. As long as it will keep me dry in a heavy rain (I'll take a little bit of wind blown rain if I have to, especially if it's summer and warm) then it sounds great to me.

the Micro covers the WBBB good.. it' just fits so it takes a few times of setting it up to get it just right... so far i only had it out in a summer shower ... nothing big but i was dry i also carry a Driducks poncho as my rain gear that has the Underquilt protector mod .. so that would get set up as well if it was raining that bad ... i used a HH tarp in heavy rain and was fine so i thing the Micro will be fine since it covers better then a stock HH tarp also location is key with a small tarp..

3. That DIY UQ... IX? Down? Whatcha got? I'm thinking about making a summer UQ out of two layers of IX, and am curious as to what its finished weight will be like.

Mine is made with 4oz of down it had 1 inch baffles with a Diff cut it's 46x40 and is good down to 35F but i like to use it for 40F and up .. anything under 40F and i go to my other quilt...

i think the weight your at is fine.... anything under 10lbs is good...
    i think a good weight for non UL guys is anything under 20lbs ...
    small tarps take time to get use to ... location is Key with a small tarp
    if your not sure about the micro go with the standard... it's alittle bigger and still very light .... my next tarp is a Cuben tarp for sure...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Sounds great, GLP! Thanks for the response.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    In an attempt to keep my summer gear light, I picked up a Jarbridge River from Paul at Arrowhead equipment. The Jarbridge River is a 7/8 length UQ (between a 3/4 and a full length). In addition, he made it with 3.0 oz Climashield instead of the usual 6.0 oz. Total weight is 11 oz. Not too bad for a synthetic. It keeps me plenty warm down to about 45°F.

My hammock is a Skeeter Beeter Pro. Not the lightest hammock, but big and roomy with mosquito netting. With whoopie slings/toggles and my custom full sized tarp, my summer weight my shelter/sleeping system is right at 5 lbs. Not ultralight, by any means, but this is my luxury item. It is many times more comfortable than my old tent/pads/sleeping bag, which weighted in at abotu 8.5 lbs, so I cannot complain.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123