Hammock
    DD Travel hammock (2011)
    Tarp
    Nothing yet
    Suspension
    Webbing

Questions on whoopie sling suspension

Hi all,
    I am new in hammocking. After some reading I tend to select whoopie slings for my suspension. I understand the usual whoopie sling configuration is fixed eye end attached to the hammock, adjustable eye end attached to the tree hugger through a karabiner.

I have a couple of questions:

1. having my hammock under a tarp and when raining for long, I think this configuration will get my hammock wet, as the water will flow over the whoopie sling to end in the hammock. What is the way to prevent this?
    One way could be using drip lines as described in the DD hammock site http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/modifications
    but I have never tried it.
    Has anyone tried this? Or any other method to prevent the water end into the hammock?

2. The alternatives I found for a a tree hugger is either strap or a whoopie sling with both ends on fixed eye (so both are fixed length tree huggers). One concern I have is that if I find a good hanging spot with 2 thin trees (where the tree hugger does not need to be long) in small distance between each other (such that you need the minimum length of your whoopie sling and a tree hugger with the eye connecting to the whoopie sling as close to the tree as possible) , then this configuration (whoopie sling + tree hugger of non adjustable length) may not work.
    Is there a reason not to use a whoopie sling with a fixed eye and an adjustable eye as a tree hugger (instead of a fixed length tree hugger), so I can reduce (almost to 0) the distance between the fixed eye of the tree hugger and the tree? With the adjustable woopie sling as a tree hugger, I reduce the minimum distance on which two trees must be to hung the hammock.

FYI, I have a DD Travel Hammock.

Sorry for my long post. I hope I make sense.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    1. Drip lines work well for rain. Just tie a piece of string off the suspension under the tarp, before the hammock, and you will shed the water.

2. If you use a tree strap and a marlin spike hitch to attach to a whoopie sling you can tie the hitch very near the tree and reduce the distance between the sling and the tree to almost nothing. The benefit here is that you can also use the extra length from your straps if the trees are super far apart and the whoopie slings themselves are too short.

Look up Shug's videos for visuals. They're great.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    RE: preventing water from "draining" onto your hammock

I use a descender ring on a short "chain link" that is larks headed to the hammock. The fixed loop on the Whoopie Sling is then larks headed to the descender ring. Water can't soak in or pass the descender ring.

RE: connecting to tree hugger.

I tie a marlinspike hitch on the tree hugger strap about 1 foot from the tree. I simply slip the adjustable loop end of the sling over the marlinspike hitch. Remember, the sling goes on the knot, NOT the toggle!!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    1. Use a dripline.

2. I think you need to use a marlin spike hitch.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Tree straps are used to prevent damage to the trees. Something as thin as amsteel has more potential to damage the trees under the bark.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hei.......I did a video series on hammocks and such and cover a bit on Whoopies in part one. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516

Paras sinulle,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DD Travel hammock (2011)
    Tarp
    Nothing yet
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you all for your immediate and good responses! You all gave me valuable info.

One question about the marlin spike hitch:
    Do I necessarily need to buy a specialized (extra strong) toggle to do the marlin spike hitch?
    Or, for example, a solid wooden stick would do the job?
    As far as I understand, by placing the adjustable eye of the whoopie sling over the knot (and not over the toggle) the toggle does not really get a lot of tension, as it receives only the hug-ing force of the knot who is tied tightly on the toggle due to the push of the whoopie sling. I think the toggle does not really participate in the hanging tention, as it seems to be bypassed.
    Unless of course, the whoopee sling slips over the knot and ends to have direct contact with the toggle. Can this really happen?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elkatsa View Post
    Thank you all for your immediate and good responses! You all gave me valuable info.

One question about the marlin spike hitch:
    Do I necessarily need to buy a specialized (extra strong) toggle to do the marlin spike hitch?
    Or, for example, a solid wooden stick would do the job?
    A solid wooden stick will do the job. It is possible even to pick up a stick from the ground when you hang your hammock. I more typically have a 1-1.5 cm diameter, 8-10 cm long "dowel rod" (sold here in building supply stores) to my strap so that it is always there.

As far as I understand, by placing the adjustable eye of the whoopie sling over the knot (and not over the toggle) the toggle does not really get a lot of tension, as it receives only the hug-ing force of the knot who is tied tightly on the toggle due to the push of the whoopie sling. I think the toggle does not really participate in the hanging tention, as it seems to be bypassed.
    That is correct.
    Unless of course, the whoopee sling slips over the knot and ends to have direct contact with the toggle. Can this really happen?
    not so easily by accident. Can happen when people put up the hitch in error. Pull the tail of the webbing past the hitch through the fixed eye, helps to keep the fixed eye above the knot. After that it should not slide. Just need to watch what you're doing.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DD Travel hammock (2011)
    Tarp
    Nothing yet
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you GrizzlyAdams, you are clear and very informative!

I am confused only with your last point:

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...Pull the tail of the webbing past the hitch through the fixed eye, helps to keep the fixed eye above the knot...
    When you say “fixed eye”, do you refer to the eye at the loose tail of the strap hugger?
    If yes, then if understand well, do you say that I need to pass this eye through the knot, (before I get the toggle in the knot), so that the point at the knot will be more bulky and as such slippage of the adjustable eye of the whoopie sling over the knot point will not be allowed?

Isn’t what Shug describes in his video http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516 (part 1 at 04:00) enough? (without the extra work described above)

Thank you!

• + New Posts