Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Question about genuine army hammocks..?

Are these type of hammocks similar to bridge hammocks? Are they gathered end hammocks? Kinda looks like a bar fits on the ends. I noticed they are only 30" wide. Are they typically comfortable to sleep in? Im looking for something I can leave hanging all summer behind the house that can handle the mildew and other weather related stresses.

http://militiasupply.com/zencart/ind...78e732f25539af

thanx, Bill

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I had one 30 years ago. Not a true bridge as we know it. Not a gathered end..more like a piece of fabric pulled tight between the trees, with the poles holding it open.
    Small by todays standard, both in width and length, and stability is an issue.
    Views are an issue, as the roof/tarp is really close to the mil-hammock.

Leaving any hammock or tarp out for extended exposure is ill-advised. Prolonged sun/weather will deteriorate the fabric and the suspension.

Still fun to play with, and the price is right.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "GI style" sounds questionable to me. Not sure what it means.

"Heavy cotton canvas floor" means mildew heaven.

http://militiasupply.com/zencart/ind...78e732f25539af
    Looks like the ropes hook to tabs. I'd pass. It looks like the worst of both worlds. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There are several variations on this. Dunno that OP's "Rothco" was Army spec or issue, even if it is in Army drab green. But, the price is lower than I have seen for a similar hammock with roof and bug-netted sides. -- go to ebay to see such.

Fixed spreader bar would make it tippy. The one I just sold had optional tie outs or tabs for such a bar. The other "design feature" was that the well-made channel for rope had a definite arc of a few inches. I've asked here before about the engineering and research behind such a feature. Maybe there was, since there were extensive specifications for the gov manufacturer. Sewing straight lines is cheaper.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I've had good luck with Rothco bdu's. I'd imagine that the hammock is well made, although I cant speak to the quality of the design. When I want to leave up my hammock for an extended period of time I put up my GG 12X12 tarp up on a diagnal. It provides plenty of shade for my hammock and since the tarp is only $20 I don't mind if it sun rots.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've got a genuine mil-issue vietnam era hammock that was my first attempt at hammock camping. It has no spreader bars or a place to put them. Like the photo on your link it has a series attachment points that run to a common point. It ends up behaving much like a gathered end hammock but very narrow. As a result, it's very hard to lie in diagonally and is very tippy (believe me I found out the hard way). I think that photo is a product of some photo trickery, or maybe their hammock does have some kind of spreaders.

Like most mil-surplus bargains you can expect them to be at best an 80% solution to your needs. It also means it was likely made by the lowest bidder and designed by someone who will never have to use it

If you just want a cheap, comfortable hammock for backyard lounging go with an ENO, Byer, or similar. They're not much more in price but alot better made and user friendly.

Good Luck...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    My "jungle hammock" was what made me start making hammocks. I hated it. Too many ropes to have it stable, on mine you slid in from one end (and simultaniously out of whatever you had to keep you warm), super fast rot in humid conditions, (hello...jungle hammock) and small and I couldn't reach out or jump out fast. I could go on, but just let me say that I would punch a jungle hammock in the face.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    During the early years, I had one of those...well actually 2 of them ( slow learner ) both times while in the woods they failed....once due to "jungle rot" and the other poor craftsmanship...absolutley junk IMHO.

Yes an ENO or such is light, easier to set up, and much more reliable....give it a try.

Jerry The Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

• + New Posts