Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

Got cold back when using a HH radiant pad

My brother n law used his HH radiant bubble pad and got a cold back. The low was 64* I thought it is supposed work around 40*. Any ideas and how could he make it work?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    which hammock was he using it in? was it snug against his body?
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    which hammock was he using it in? was it snug against his body?
    What Newton said. It seems to me like Sgt. Rock reported a similar problem, he was not warm enough at temperatures within its rating. He was much warmer when replacing it with a thin closed cell foam pad. I believe Sgt. rock is had similar problems with IX under quilts, not working as well for him as they have some others. So it may not be warm enough at those temperatures for your brother-in-law. But at the same time I'm sure several others have reported success at much colder temperatures with the HH bubble pad than in the 60s. So it will be helpful to learn if your brother-in-law was using it inside a DJ pad pocket or its equivalent, as it is designed to be used.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    He was using a HH Expedition Zip. He just placed it inside the hammock and jumped into a 20* sleeping bag.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    He was using a HH Expedition Zip. He just placed it inside the hammock and jumped into a 20* sleeping bag.
    I don't know, just guessing: I wonder if that bubble pad will compress some under full body weight? And if so, maybe it would not got 100% of body weight down in the double layer of the DJ? Maybe it won't work as good inside the hammock laying directly on it?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I would think it would compress pretty close to the same amount between the layers. Maybe he slipped off the pad during the night? Maybe he had it backwards and his shoulders were too wide for the foot end of the pad? It would really, really help if you posted a picture or 3 of his set-up. If everything was perfect, he is just a really cold sleeper. Or, maybe the sleeping bag created too much of a gap between the reflective layer for it to work well? Just guessing, until we see pics it's just a guessing game. It would be great if you could take the pictures with him or somebody in it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 06-22-2011 at 04:09.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Per the Hennesy web site the usage is acceptable so the pad should be about as compressible as closed cell foam. I wonder how much clothing was involved and how much Tom wears when he rates these things. I never agree with his ratings. All the pictures I see around here are heavy clothes to bed while I tend to be a Stephens Warmliite kind of person. Big difference in ratings.

My limited experience w/ the radiant pad was laying it in my bottom-entry hammock and sleeping on it for a couple of nights. It got chilly, but I can't say what the temps were. Try wearing some light clothing that wicks moisture. I found the same issue with closed cell: Body perspiration can be trapped against non-breathable layers. Adding wicking clothing allows the perspiration to evaporate from untrapped areas, so I cind that I feel warmer. Also, there may be areas that the pad doesn't cover. Be prepared to stuff something additional under cold spots. I used the coolie-style bubble hat Tom made for me at Trail Days a year ago. Worked great. A sit-pad of some sort would have done as well.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I am never really good at this type question because I am a lava hot sleeper. I sleep in 60 without insulation and thats weird to most people. but Id say he should try the underpad from hennessy. ive found that to be more comfy because its not in the hammock plus it would extend the temperature range of your bubble pad.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I sprung for the JRB Mt Washington 3 UQ. In a word, awesome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast