Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    I attended a Camporee at Fort Ticonderoga over the weekend, what a great experience! The stake booms worked very well. I added the 11x15 tarps over the ends. I used tennis balls to cover the ends of the pipes to protect the tarp, see photo. The extra traps handled the wind with out issue. I did try out the setup in the rain at my house with no issues.

IMG_20190510_191606113_HDR.jpg IMG_20190511_190048902_HDR.jpg

Nice set up

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

is the conduit size its outside diameter or internal?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Special7195 View Post
    is the conduit size its outside diameter or internal?
    Never really thought about it because it is the 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", etc. size. Looking on the Home Depot site, it turns out it is neither the inside or outside diameter. The 3/4" EMT conduit is reported as having :

Nominal inside diameter (in.)

Nominal outside diameter (in.)
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    Superfly or Hammoc
    Insulation
    underquilt sleepin
    Suspension
    UHMP straps, whoop
    seems like some kind of stake and plate combo could also interface with the bottom of the poles holding both the staked guy lines and the bottom of the poles.

Just to bring new life into this thread yet again. I found it years ago, but got distracted by something shiny...

I'm planning to try and make work with a single side attached to my hitch using a "flag pole" attachment & the other end will have guy lines & boom stakes setup. The opening on the flag pole mount is around 1 1/8" ID and has two set screws to hold it in place. I'm thinking I will run a piece of black pipe all the way to the ground with a section of 2x4 or 2x6 for the base. I'd only tighten the set screws enough to remove play (if necessary) while allowing the forces to be freely directed down to the ground, and the hitch mount will take on the horizontal/angular forces that the guy lines & boom stakes are addressing on the free end.

Will add photos of the setup once I get all the pieces acquired and test the rig out.

51fs67unsVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I only skimmed most of the thread so apologies if I missed this, but does the tarp sag when you get in, and loosen the tarp a bit?

Were I to make one of these, I would use two foot sections of steel tubing with threads at each end, and put them together with couplers. All Low's and Home Depot stores sell these tubes and couplers, so no need to fuss.

I would also take a two one foot lenghts of pipe for the base, and put T-couplers eat each end, so as to raise the flat portion off the ground for those setups that the ground is a bit uneven (the couplers would act as 3/8" inch pads (aprox)) and then I would use a three way coupler in the middle to tie the posts into. The outside T-couplers would act to negate torsion, and could even have a short end of pipe installed to help with that in soft ground. I'd arange this three way to have the desired upwards angle (30 degrees or so) and then tack weld the middle part into a permanent position. That would make all easy to disassemble into small 2" 4" sections for stowing into the car. A set of holes drilled into the bottom stands would not hurt neither. Lastly, once this setup and distances appart were diealed in, I'd probably drill a set of holes in the uprights and put a threaded rod through crosswise, to mark where the straps go (two positions probably) so that I would not have to think about things except to measure out a distance appart, and so the straps could not slip down. That's just off the top of my head.

I may have to give this a try - thank you for the germination of the idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819