XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

Whoopie Sling Question

OK, I'm trying to grasp the whole constriction idea of the adjustable end of the whoopie sling. I am making my own and I am having trouble getting my mind wrapped around the idea that the outside of the Amsteel is going to constrict on the buried Amsteel enough to keep it from slipping considering how slick this stuff is and also considering that I weigh 350 lbs. Yeah, I know, that's a lot. I read that the sheath portion that constricts should be about 10 inches. Since I weigh more than most should I do 18-20 inches? Forgive me if I don't have the "lingo" down properly I'm new and trying to learn. I hope to make up the slings tonight so any help is appreciated.
    David

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    OK, I'm trying to grasp the whole constriction idea of the adjustable end of the whoopie sling. I am making my own and I am having trouble getting my mind wrapped around the idea that the outside of the Amsteel is going to constrict on the buried Amsteel enough to keep it from slipping considering how slick this stuff is and also considering that I weigh 350 lbs. Yeah, I know, that's a lot. I read that the sheath portion that constricts should be about 10 inches. Since I weigh more than most should I do 18-20 inches? Forgive me if I don't have the "lingo" down properly I'm new and trying to learn. I hope to make up the slings tonight so any help is appreciated.
    David
    Because the length of the constrictor portion is shortened as it gets "fatter" to hold the buried portion, a 10" bury should probably be 13 or 14 inches (before bury) for you. 10 inch bury will hold...a lot! Also be advised that lengthening the bury/constrictor portion also means that the minimum hang distance is extended accordingly (since you can't get "shorter" than the constrictor.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Hi David, actually there isn't a need to have a longer bury. I am sure the details are on the site at some point, but here are the basics (as I remember it).

You want the bury to be about 70 times the diameter of the rope. 10 inches provides 80 1/8" diameters, so it is used as easy reference. It gives a little leeway. By the way, when I bury the amsteel, I usually mark on the outer shell the entry point and the exit point. However, it seems to lose about 20% in length with a bury inside. That is to say, mark a 10 inch section, pull the end through and the two marks will be about 8 inches apart. As such, I normally mark 12 inches and end up with about a 10 inch bury.

Also, a huge advantage to the bury over a knot, is that it does not significantly weaken the cord – only about 3%, I believe. The weak, point as I have been told, is the exit point of the bury, not the bury slipping.

So, given a 7/64th amsteel (rated at 1400 lbs.) with a 10 inch bury, it should be rated to hold upwards of 1350 pounds.

Needless to say I have not tested this myself. I am not interested in being an intimate witness to a failure with these weights involved.
    Last edited by Alamosa; 06-17-2011 at 15:12.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave, you absolutely, positively must learn the lingo if you expect a whoopie sling to work properly.

/s/ OK Dave
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks guys I appreciate the quick response. Not knowing that 1/8 would be suitable I ordered 3/16 so about a 13 inch bury should be good? Would that apply to the adjustable end that I attach to the tree straps? Sorry for so many questions but I'm that special kinda dumb you only read about in medical books. LOL.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 06-17-2011 at 15:20.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    hey dave, you anywhere near charleston? maybe if you are you can check out my whoopies made by a pro (not me) and see how they hold ya!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    hey dave, you anywhere near charleston? maybe if you are you can check out my whoopies made by a pro (not me) and see how they hold ya!
    I'm actually in Florence. Who makes em in Charleston?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks guys I appreciate the quick response. Not knowing that 1/8 would be suitable I order 3/16 so about a 13 inch bury should be good? Would that apply to the adjustable end that I attach to the tree straps? Sorry for so many questions but I'm that special kinda dumb you only read about in medical books. LOL.
    David
    Most people here use 7/64 to give you an idea how strong the stuff is. 1/8 would be plenty if you are not comfortable with 7/64.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Thanks guys I appreciate the quick response. Not knowing that 1/8 would be suitable I order 3/16 so about a 13 inch bury should be good? Would that apply to the adjustable end that I attach to the tree straps? Sorry for so many questions but I'm that special kinda dumb you only read about in medical books. LOL.
    David
    13 inches for 3/16 sounds about right for the finished size. I would suggest about a 16 inch mark on the line that will be the shell. It is the same length for the adjustable bury and the buried eye-splice.

FYI, the 3/16 is rated at 5400 lbs., so it is definitely overkill for our needs. Most people go with the 7/64 (just smaller than an 1/8). With a rating of 1400 lbs., it is sufficient for hammocking.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not to hijack the thread, but I noticed that the 8" Amsteel Blue rope has an average breaking strength of 6,156,000 lbs! It weighs about 1.47 lbs per foot, btw
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast