Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Just to help add to the reassurance, I know of at least one hanger at 340 pound range hanging on 1.8mm dynaglide rated to 1000 pounds and we have made 7/64th amsteel slings for hangers over 400 pounds. The great thing about constriction is that the more you weigh the tighter the line grips. The big thing with going up in size of line (like the others have mentioned) is that you will need to go up in size of the bury to get a good even grip.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks a lot for the info everyone. I'm gonna give it a try tonight! Hope I do it right, if not I'll post some pics of any trauma.
    David

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Alright, I finished making my tree straps and whoopie slings tonight. I'll test it out tomorrow. Hope I did em right!

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Well I rigged everything up adjusted my homemade whoopie slings and slowly weighted the hammock chair. I have never been more pleased! I fully expected the amsteel to slip out of itself but it worked great. Thanks to everyone for all of the information and advise. Now this as got me wanting to make a hammock!
    David

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Just to help add to the reassurance, I know of at least one hanger at 340 pound range hanging on 1.8mm dynaglide rated to 1000 pounds and we have made 7/64th amsteel slings for hangers over 400 pounds. The great thing about constriction is that the more you weigh the tighter the line grips. The big thing with going up in size of line (like the others have mentioned) is that you will need to go up in size of the bury to get a good even grip.
    The manufacturers are the best source of engineering advice on splicing and knotting. We see the tiniest fraction of experience.

But, I think Paul overstates in the last sentence where the constriction takes place. A good grip will still take place in the last inches. But if the load becomes relaxed, that grip can relax, absent some constriction right next to where it is tightest.
    The strands slide against one another, and the load becomes increasingly concentrated on the last bit of the constrictor, probably exponentially. I would not for a moment shorten the constrictor from the MFG recommendation. That recommendation furnishes an adequate source of strands, contributions made in diminishing quantity the further away from where the bury exits the constrictor nearest the load. Just as there are knots that need to be backed up, the length of the constrictor is largely backing up.

Belaboring this further, the simplest knot of all is a hell of a lot of wrapping of one line around another.or around an object. And it works. That is what the whoopie is doing.

As experienced line-handlers have commented, sometimes larger cord / rope is just easier to handle. Soft shackles made with 1/8 and larger cord just feel better in the hand.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The manufacturers are the best source of engineering advice on splicing and knotting. We see the tiniest fraction of experience.

But, I think Paul overstates in the last sentence where the constriction takes place. A good grip will still take place in the last inches. But if the load becomes relaxed, that grip can relax, absent some constriction right next to where it is tightest.
    The strands slide against one another, and the load becomes increasingly concentrated on the last bit of the constrictor, probably exponentially. I would not for a moment shorten the constrictor from the MFG recommendation. That recommendation furnishes an adequate source of strands, contributions made in diminishing quantity the further away from where the bury exits the constrictor nearest the load. Just as there are knots that need to be backed up, the length of the constrictor is largely backing up.

Belaboring this further, the simplest knot of all is a hell of a lot of wrapping of one line around another.or around an object. And it works. That is what the whoopie is doing.

As experienced line-handlers have commented, sometimes larger cord / rope is just easier to handle. Soft shackles made with 1/8 and larger cord just feel better in the hand.
    I used 3/16 amsteel, which I know now is overkill. The length of constriction was 15 inches which if I understand this correctly is maybe some overkill too, correct?
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 06-18-2011 at 14:16.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I used 3/16 amsteel, which I knoe now is overkill. The length of rope that I burried was 15 inches which if I understnad this correctly is maybe some overkill too, correct?
    David
    Yep!. Won't hurt, but it's overkill.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    A whoopie sling made per Sampson's instructions will retain about 80% of the lines rating. Samson says the weakest part of the sling is where the adjustable bury exits. The sling you made can support a car so sleep well knowing you won't be dropped.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    A whoopie sling made per Sampson's instructions will retain about 80% of the lines rating. Samson says the weakest part of the sling is where the adjustable bury exits. The sling you made can support a car so sleep well knowing you won't be dropped.
    lol, Thanks Ron, I appreciate it.
    David

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast