WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Freedom is having both options.
    The hard part is keeping the weight down and still be comfortable on the ground or in the air.

An underquilt doesn't cut it when your one the ground and a sleeping pad kinda sucks in the air.

I am currently trying a system using a UL sleeping pad(Klymit) with an underquilt combination, but the pad burst the first time I tried use it.

I guess I have to try a more durable(heavier) pad:-(

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I know this is an old thread but I was searching for options after being in a horrible storm on the AT. The wind was so strong it blew all my stakes out of the ground and almost flipped me and my hammock upside down in the middle of the night. The stakes all had big rocks on top of them. 2 men had helped me put up my tarp because it was such a parachute that I couldn't even get it set up by myself. The rocks were so heavy that I couldn't pick them up. That was some strong wind. Had I known how to "go to ground" with my kit, maybe I would've slept better but I was on a slope. I could've found a flatter patch of ground. That night has almost convinced me to go back to tenting. I was up in the middle of the night trying to figure out how to get my tarp back down. I couldn't find any of my stakes. I tied it down the best I could to nearby saplings but it still flapped around like crazy. Thankfully it had stopped raining at that point so my quilts stayed dry. If you go to ground how do you keep your quilts dry? Hammocking is starting to feel a little complicated. I noticed that my tenting friends put up their tents in a couple of minutes while I'm still wandering around looking for the right trees for my hammock. I sleep so good in my hammock or I'd just give it up and go buy a little tent. Oh, I have a WBBB and Superfly tarp.
    I jumped on the back of a butterfly
    We took off high into the sky
    We flipped, we flew, we turned, we fluttered
    "Enjoying yourself?" the butterfly uttered
    "Surely!" I said as we lit on a flower
    I truly believe in Butterfly Power ~ written by Shug

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    ...The wind was so strong it blew all my stakes out of the ground and almost flipped me and my hammock upside down in the middle of the night....
    I have had the experience you are talking about a few time, both on the ground and in a hammock.

It wasn't any better on the ground than in a hammock.

Experience and practice are the important things when dealing with gale force winds. You probably learned a lot from your experience.

It can also seem awkward using a hammock until you've had a lot of experience with it. Once you get comfortable, it is as easy or easier than going to ground.

It would be difficult for me to go into details with typing several pages, but here are some overly simplified tips:

1) Location is VERY important. Sometimes you need to spend some extra time and hike extra miles to get to a more protected area. Like the lee of a natural outcrop.

2) Sometimes you have to realize that you aren't going to sleep well. So if you get a few hours sleep and the wind is driving you crazy, hike some more until wind dies down or until you find better protection. You can then take a nap or sleep better the next night.

3) I have extra tie-outs attached on my tarp that I rarely use, but if the forecast is for strong winds, I use them all and I might even run two lines from some points to help spread the force out on stakes, rocks, branches, ... Mid panel ties hep reduce flapping and absorbs a lot of the force of the wind. Tie-outs can be added to your tarp, but I believe the Superfly already has a good amount of tie-outs.

Practice, study and become self sufficient and you will have a better time of it. But face strong winds suck in any shelter.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY hex cat
    Insulation
    Yeti/Alt Kelty SB
    So far I haven't been out in any severe storms, so this is still an objective fear for me. But I know that I will probably come to it eventually when I set out on the AT after graduation (fingers crossed). This is good info to have!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
    So far I haven't been out in any severe storms, so this is still an objective fear for me. But I know that I will probably come to it eventually when I set out on the AT after graduation (fingers crossed). This is good info to have!
    I highly recommend that anyone attempting a thru-hike intentionally spend some nights in extreme weather before your thru when you can. At least practice setting up your hammock/tarp in the back yard.

You don't want to be days from civilization not knowing what to expect when bad weather comes along. It can be extremely demoralizing and can even be dangerous, unless you have the experience.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123