banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post

Got a set ordered!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Pretty neat! I wonder if there is a value to be had in designing a lighter version optimized for hammock tarps?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Pretty neat! I wonder if there is a value to be had in designing a lighter version optimized for hammock tarps?
    I’ve wondered similar. Take standard light-duty ti shepherd’s hook style stake, put in vise and hammer a sharp bend in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Hey folks. Haven't posted on here for some time but I am trying to build a hammock stand that is at least passable for short hikes into the dessert. I love the boom stake idea but strong steel is just too heavy and I'm not seeing an alternative cheap, lightweight version that's viable (please correct me if I'm missing it). Been thinking on this for a bit and wanted to run this idea past you all to see if it passes the 'red face test'.

Setup:
    • Run a line from stake to bottom of hammock stand pole. (going to call this 'horizontal ground line')
    • Run your usual line from top of hammock stand pole but instead of attaching to stake, attach ~6" forward of the stake on the horizontal ground line. (calling this 'stake line')
    • Probably worth mentioning, I think this only works if the hammock stand pole is *spiked* into the earth.

Theoretical Effect:
    As you lay in the hammock and load the system, downward force is applied to the pole holding the 'horizontal ground line' and anchoring securely.
    This relies on the horizontal line being held firmly as close to the ground as possible. Even with some stretch, the angle of force should be significantly more forward than upward. Which should mean the stake is much more difficult to pull out.

I suppose you could increase the distance you attach the stake line from ~6" to something greater (and effectively moving your stake further out). I think at some point you'd hit diminishing returns because of stretch raising the horizontal line up too high.

At least that's how it's working in my head. Please feel free to shoot holes in the theory. I'm an EE not an ME so, I won't be offended. I have some new amsteel on order and will be ordering some 12" titanium stakes so might give this a try unless someone can talk me off the edge. Or show me that cheap, light alternative to the booms.

Soft Boom Stake.png

Oh wow! Is "this" where boomstakes came from? Back in 2011?? Friggin LOVE those things!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Oh wow! Is "this" where boomstakes came from? Back in 2011?? Friggin LOVE those things!
    Indeed. Whole future industries rest in ideas sprinkled casually through the archives of this forum.
    --

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > I love the boom stake idea but strong steel is just too heavy and I'm not seeing an alternative cheap, ...

Don't know about cheap, but Amsteel is a known substitute for steel cable. I was introduced to it at a jeep "toy" store. Instead of heavy - and dangerous if it snaps under load - steel cable, and alternative was thick Amsteel. It was much lighter and it it broke under load it wouldn't "snap" like metal cable.

You mentioned "stretch"; I don't think you will experience much stretch with Amsteel. It might experience a one time adjustment as the weave is pulled tight; but that's a little different dynamic from what I usually think of as stretch.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Sorry, I meant cheap alternative to steel 'boom' stick. I'm reading people are using steel because aluminum fails. I wondered about 7075 aluminum tube but I can't find any local source to test it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast