Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Stake Boom

Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Sorry, I meant cheap alternative to steel 'boom' stick.
    I don't know that I would call them "cheap", but the boomstakes tensa sells use titanium stakes. I've been whacking on my 40cm stakes and they are extremely sturdy and quite lightweight. For the length of the spikes, the reinforced boom construction and the convenient head design that works so well with booms, it's not an unfair deal at all, IMHO. Especially considering that even buying direct from China the 40cm spikes are going to run you $10 a pop. Different lengths are available though.... the shorter 24cm spikes being more in the $5 a pop range. Might be an option.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks like the boom is only to address the direction of pull. If that's the case, then it doesn't have to be strong. Or circular. So some PVC pipe or rectangular stick might work. As far and the knot slipping. It seems you could hitch (your hitch of choice) the line where you want it on the boom, then run a tail back to the ground stake. Because most the force will be distributed along the boom/stake combination, the shouldn't be much additional pull on the knot's tail. It has more of a keeper duty with the hitch on the boom doing the major holding.

If one needed to use this setup, I could imagine a set of light weight booms to go with your stakes. I'd think small diameter PVC pipe, that's still big enough to drill a hole for the angled stake, would work.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ....then it doesn't have to be strong. Or circular.
    I dunno. I don't know the math, but it seems like the greatest stress point is where the stake passes through the boom, so at least in that area it would make sense to have a fairly sturdy, or at least reinforced, connection point. Of course, it depends on what kind of load you're putting on it, but if you feel the need for boom stakes to begin with... it might make it safe to assume the load is more significant than a stake alone would handle(?)

I don't think circular is "critical", but it may be that load and friction is more evenly distributed on your cordage with a circular boom vs. square. Going square I would think you would want it to have a large enough opening to allow the stakes to be stored inside for "packability". I also have to wonder if a circular configuration might help distribute load in the boom material at the stake pass through point(?)

Just spit-balling and hopefully someone more learned in the mechanics will jump in.
    Last edited by Yarome; 02-14-2020 at 20:58.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I dunno. I don't know the math, but it seems like the greatest stress point is where the stake passes through the boom, so at least in that area it would make sense to have a fairly sturdy, or at least reinforced, connection point.
    Correct. That’s why our 7075 booms are reinforced at this point. They tear otherwise. Thicker-walled tubing would do as well, but be heavier; the extra wall thickness isn’t needed other than at the point of contact with the stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Doesn't the boom also have to be rigid enough so that it exerts the force in the proper direction? It would seem that a flimsy boom would essentially just be an extension of the guy line.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Doesn't the boom also have to be rigid ....
    It probably depends on what you're using them for. For tarp tie-outs and other fairly light loads I think you could probably get away with something lighter weight and less rigid like PVC or something similar, but it would still have to be able to take the entire load without flexing. For stand tie-outs or main hammock suspensions... not so much. After... oh... 40-ish setups over the past 3-1/2 months on the tensa boomstakes... a solid/rigid boom is certainly an integral part. Using them on something like the tensa solo or other pole type hammock suspension I would say it's an absolute must... and not just one.

I'm using 40cm spikes and have had my share of downpours this winter. I haven't had any pull-outs yet, but I've reset half a dozen or so boomstakes that were starting to look a bit "iffy". The stakes themselves though show hardly any signs of wear/distress.
    Last edited by Yarome; 02-15-2020 at 11:06.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Doesn't the boom also have to be rigid enough so that it exerts the force in the proper direction? It would seem that a flimsy boom would essentially just be an extension of the guy line.
    You are absolutely right. If the boom is not rigid enough it does not impart the mechanical advantage it is designed for.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don't understand the "flimsy" issue. I would if the forces were shifting direction and the boom was designed to keep them in line. But it seems the force is only from one direction and the boom is directing that force to the stake. I do see how it needs to be strong enough so the stake will not pull out of the pipe. And it's cool that the boom itself can be a storage container for one or more stakes.

Now I'm picturing that if by "flimsy" you mean the boom could bend upward. That would be a problem. I'd think a SHORT piece of PVC pipe would be strong (i.e. not flexible) enough as long as it was sufficiently strong at the stake end.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-15-2020 at 17:14.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Too short and the pipe totally negates the function of a boom stake.
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-15-2020 at 19:19.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    "Now I'm picturing that if by "flimsy" you mean the boom could bend upward."

That is how I interpreted it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast