Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Just another reason I like backpacking and wilderness areas!

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Thats the problem,lack of knowledge like was said they think of a rope net hammock held with chains and or nails.
    "We the people" need to educate thoes who dont know.So maybe next time they say no to hammocks just ask if you can demonstrate hoe its hung and emphasis that the webbing doesn't hurt the trees.
    There just trying to preserve the trees so there isn't a bunch of dying trees from bark being striped off of it.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Noseeum
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Strap Works
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Had planned on a weekend hang at Lake Lurleen State Park just outside Tuscaloosa, AL with some friends. I had heard from someone at the Walls of Jericho trip that father and his two sons had been asked to leave the park when they had attempted to use their hammocks. I called the park this morning to inquire if indeed you were not allowed to hang hammocks in the park. The lady told me that you could hang hammocks and that there was no rule against hanging hammocks in Alabama State Parks but you can not sleep in a hammock, you can not sleep under a fly or under the stars. You can only sleep in a "camping unit" (tent or camping RV/trailer). She said that hammocks are not camping units. I tried to explain that our type of hammock camping was actually like tent camping but just not on the ground. She suggested that I call the Park supervisor Monday and maybe she might allow me to come out and demo the setup but ultimately it would have to go through the Park office in Montgomery.

Maybe all of the hammock companies and other hammock accessories companies should change their names. We could have Hennessy Camping Units, Warbonet Camping Units, Speer Camping Unit Products, etc.

We will have to change the name of this forum to campingunitforumns.net.
    Somehow it just doesn't have the same ring.
    Tannehill State Park is just down the road.We were there a couple of weeks ago at a Traditional Archery shoot and there were several people camping in Hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Has anyone thought that Parks might want you camp in a particular place ( tent pad, RV parking area) as opposed to somewhere kind of close to your camp site?

I have also seen LEOs evicting a group of people trying to make a "camping unit" out of old lumber, plywood and blue tarps. Hammers and nails were involved in that incidence.

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    It amazes me that their are no pedestrians, and only three cars on the street, two of which seem to be parked. Strange, almost eery.
    Wow I'm getting on an old thread here but I was just reading up on rules for the Alabama State Parks and find this thread still quite relevant.

But I digress. When the photograph was taken there were probably plenty of cars going by and lots of people moving around. The way to make all that invisible, and only capture stationary objects in the photo, is to use a very dark neutral density filter coupled with a very long exposure (with the camera on a very good tripod), so that moving objects such as autos trucks people etc. don't show up in the final capture. Its a great technique to use for shots of public buildings, inside museums, and the like where the action never stops but you don't want people in the shot.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Old thread indeed, but had an interesting "positive" experience regarding hammocks not being camping units this weekend up at Desoto State Park. When I was checking in and getting out site, I told him there would be 4 "tents", as I had used hammocks before with no problems and did not really want to get into a discussion about how crazy I was to sleep in a hammock in 28 degree weather at that moment, so figured we would call them "tents" for now and move on. Anyway, the rule is 2 camping units per site, so I said I need 2 sites. As he was ringing things up, since for some reason he has to enter one site at a time in their system, we were making small talk...and I mentioned that at least 2 of us slept in hammocks. The ranger working the counter looked up and said "Hammocks, well those are not tents are they?" My first thought was "Crap, I am going to have trouble now". So, I say "Well, that's what I use as a tent, so I consider it my tent". His response was, "Well, if it don't look like that picture on the rule sheet of a tent, I ain't gonna charge you for it. If you only have 2 tents and 2 hammocks, then you only need one site for the weekend."

I was quite pleased with that outcome, saved me some money. Not sure all the rangers interpret the rules that way...but he did.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    That would have had me border line flipping out.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Old thread indeed, but had an interesting "positive" experience regarding hammocks not being camping units this weekend up at Desoto State Park. When I was checking in and getting out site, I told him there would be 4 "tents", as I had used hammocks before with no problems and did not really want to get into a discussion about how crazy I was to sleep in a hammock in 28 degree weather at that moment, so figured we would call them "tents" for now and move on. Anyway, the rule is 2 camping units per site, so I said I need 2 sites. As he was ringing things up, since for some reason he has to enter one site at a time in their system, we were making small talk...and I mentioned that at least 2 of us slept in hammocks. The ranger working the counter looked up and said "Hammocks, well those are not tents are they?" My first thought was "Crap, I am going to have trouble now". So, I say "Well, that's what I use as a tent, so I consider it my tent". His response was, "Well, if it don't look like that picture on the rule sheet of a tent, I ain't gonna charge you for it. If you only have 2 tents and 2 hammocks, then you only need one site for the weekend."

I was quite pleased with that outcome, saved me some money. Not sure all the rangers interpret the rules that way...but he did.
    Wow! That is awesome! That kind of treatment makes me much less concerned about planning a weekend in an Alabama state park.
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456