HH Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers

First Time Out

A couple of weeks ago, I got over to the Smoky Mountains and slept in my Hennessey for the first time. Below is a pic of the hang. That's an Ultralight Explorer A-Sym Zip with the upsized tarp. I used one of the bigger blue pads from Wal-Mart and my standard down bag. Wound up just using the bag more or less as a cover.

I want to do some overnighters out of a relatively small pack--the Maxpedition Falcon II, and I've just about got it down as far as gear. I was looking for a good, compact, summer weight bag, and I stumbled on the REI Travel Sack. This thing is great for warm weather, and with a compression sack, it gets down to 6" x 9". I also picked up a Thermarest Ridgerest SoLite pad with that new Trekker Roll Sack that protects the pad in transit and that can double as a pillow with clothing stuffed in. When I get a chance, I'll post up a picture of the pack with everything in/on it. I'm also thinking I should use the standard tarp in really hot weather, get more of a breeze, and carry one less pound.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Looks like a great rig. Good to see you get out there.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    you can check out hammock gear's new topquilt. its only 169.00 and is down filled and extremely comfy from what I hear
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers
    I'm assuming the topquilt would be good for cooler weather? Right now, lows here are in the 70s. The Travel Sack I mentioned is rated for 55 degrees and is more than enough. I like that it unzips to the point that it becomes just a blanket if you don't want to use it as a bag. The RidgeRest SoLite pad I ordered is supposed to have reflective aluminum on one side that raises body temp if need be. From what I read, you flip the reflective side down in hot weather, and you flip it up if you need to be a little warmer. We'll see how it works.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    I'm assuming the topquilt would be good for cooler weather? Right now, lows here are in the 70s. The Travel Sack I mentioned is rated for 55 degrees and is more than enough. I like that it unzips to the point that it becomes just a blanket if you don't want to use it as a bag. The RidgeRest SoLite pad I ordered is supposed to have reflective aluminum on one side that raises body temp if need be. From what I read, you flip the reflective side down in hot weather, and you flip it up if you need to be a little warmer. We'll see how it works.
    the new topquilt is rated for 45-50. They have topquilts that go low as 0 to negative 5 or so. but thats the highest temp rating ive seen for a summer quilt. its a good deal
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Hey Guyon - do you plan to join the E TN hang scheduled for 15-17 JUL?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest SoLite
    Suspension
    HH Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    the new topquilt is rated for 45-50. They have topquilts that go low as 0 to negative 5 or so. but thats the highest temp rating ive seen for a summer quilt. its a good deal
    Well, my Travel Sack was only $40, so I'm going to give it a go for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Hey Guyon - do you plan to join the E TN hang scheduled for 15-17 JUL?
    Doubt I can make it this year, but I'll keep my eyes open for future events.

• + New Posts