Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Images

My bladder won't let me sleep for more than 2 hours

I have been sleeping exclusively in my hammock for about a month now. I am using an underquilt and a top quilt and I never feel cold at night. So why am I waking up three or more times a night having to pee so bad that I almost don't make it out of my hammock? As an experiment I slept two nights in a row in my recliner and did not have the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    are you sleeping diagonally? It could be an issue where pressure is being put on your bladder by not laying flat.

Pics of your setup would help. It could be an issue of insufficient sag in your hang: set the hammock lower, increasing the angle of the suspension ropes (relative to a horizontal line at the attachment point).

Best of luck! Hope this helps...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    are you sleeping diagonally? It could be an issue where pressure is being put on your bladder by not laying flat.

Pics of your setup would help. It could be an issue of insufficient sag in your hang: set the hammock lower, increasing the angle of the suspension ropes (relative to a horizontal line at the attachment point).

Best of luck! Hope this helps...
    what he said!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Could be one of several things. I once thought about a survey/poll on HF to try and determine if the brand/style of hammock had more of an effect on this problem, since I had the same issue, but not as many times as you.
    1) What hammock are you using? Could it be that you are more u-shaped/folded versus a flat lie? I have not had as much an issue since I switched to my WBBB.
    2) Are you too hot? too cold?? Not sure how body temp affects the kidneys but there may be something in that. Pretty sure there are others on HF who know the answer to this.
    3) Don't drink 2 or 3 hours before going to bed and empty just before bed. I found that helped.
    4) More personal here: have the prostate checked. BPH causes bladder issues. As a cancer survivor, it never hurts to know the status of your PSA anyway.
    Others may have more ideas.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I have always peed to much I have enlarged prostates , That being said I can go some nights without getting up and others on the hour and every hour. I try not to drink after 4 pm but if hot out forget it. I just suffer . I still feel more rested getting up than at my bed at home.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I really doubt that the brand of hammock has anything to do with peeing alot. Not a Doc and don't own a pocket protector but maybe diet, meds,last meal or drink, outside temp.,has more to do with it than the brand.......but if science shows it is due to brand.... I am gonna start selling custom hammock urinals and pee bags for all the other brands as an accesory.
    hmmmmmm a "Hammock Bladder Bag" in camo.......jus thinking......
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I'll chime in with the female perspective....... I'm the opposite. At home in bed, I'm up around 2-3am almost every night. In my hammock last weekend in the woods, I slept all the way through the night until 5-6am. I think I was just warm, cozy, and more relaxed out in the woods, so I slept better. I was more careful about fluid intake before bedtime.
    KJ

Images
    Many thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this one. JohnSawyer suggested that pics of my setup might help so I enlisted my lovely wife to help me get some photos.

Here they are, I'll explain each thumbnail.

This first image is the hammock with the UQ attached. The span is 130 inches, the suspension height is 75 inches and the ridgeline is 101 inches.

This is without the UQ attached

This is me in my hammock in my sleeping position. Most nights I go to sleep in this position and wake up in it. So there is no tossing and turning like I do in a bed.

This is the same position as above just taken from a closer perspective.

Again this is the same position just from a different angle. (I know this looks like I'm lying with my head downhill from my feet but that's just because the picture is being taken from uphill.)

And, finally, this is the second position I sometimes sleep in. But, again, if I go to sleep in this position, I wake up in it.

As you can see from these photos, I'm sleeping diagonally and I feel pretty flat. So, seeing all this, do you guys think I need to lengthen my suspension (as suggested above) or anything?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know what the others will think, but you could try raising either the head end or the foot end a little bit. Raise one end and go to sleep and if you wake up to pee, go back to sleep in the opposite direction and see if you wake up. Best of luck. Nice stand by the way.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Mikewithe: I wonder if hammock sleeping is such an unusual sensation, though luxurious, that bladders react to those differences with a shortened fuse, so to speak. IMHO, my nightly sleep is so much more comfortable full timing in the hammock that being awakened for frequent nature calls is not irritating to me because I know I will comfortably and quickly return to blissful slumber. That is a wonderful blessing after years of painful disturbed hours hoping to return to sleep after any disturbance.

However, early on in my full timing learning curve, I slept so deeply that my nature calls were the panic race you describe. Unlike you, I didn't think the calls were more frequent; I was sleeping significantly longer hours, so an extra call was reasonable. But I needed to react faster to realize where I was and what the need was. The simple newness of hammock sleeping required me to wake up more completely than I did for the trek from my bed. It was a while before my body got the rhythm of waking in a timely way, and exiting the hammock gracefully without entangling myself. Seems my knees improved, too. Now the nightly calls are non events.

I hope your sleep becomes more comfortable with time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast