BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles

General purpose bugnet

I am a newbe. I plan to travel in Central America and may sleep in hammocks (mine or other) or beds or maybe even the deck of a boat. Mostly this will be in hotels or hostels. I am assuming I will be mostly sleeping in places that supply mosquito nets if needed. I did get nailed pretty bad by sandflies on my last trip sleeping on a boat in (are you ready) Sandfly Bay at Bocas del Toro. I am thinking about buying a rectangular piece of mosquito or noseeum netting material and modifying it to use in various configurations. Maybe I can sew/glue on some tabs for tying and some small Velcro patches for closure. It will not be perfect, but I hope permethrin, DEET and R-326 will compensate.

I am sure there are a lot of hangers who have designed bug nets for hammocks. Has anyone tried to make a general purpose hammock-bed-and-beyond bug net? Thanks.

Hammock
    ENO Double/HH Ultra Explorer
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have used the mombasa Single Net with my ENO a few times. Seems to work pretty well. I tied a rope across and hung the head end of the net, and tucked extra fabric under me.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Look at this

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm

Then add a tab over your head and you will be able to use it in a bed, hung from a tack in the ceiling.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles
    Thanks!

I also found this on the permethrin thread:

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    As far as bug nets go, the solution I use most is just 3.5 yards of plain noseeum netting draped over my hammock ridgeline. I sheep bend a twig or small stone on the ends for weight to keep it from blowing off. Treat that with permethrin as well, and you'll have a quiet sleep. That solution usually costs about 12 bucks and weighs a around 3 ounces. I find that to be more flexible than attached bugnets at I can just pick up any part to get in or out of the hammock then just let it drape next to the hammock body. The permethrin treatment precludes the need for a complete seal.
    I am still trying to figure out the ultraquarterweight setup, mostly because I am noob and still unfamiliar with terms.

I am happy to see that it appears to be practical to make something that will work.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
    Thanks!

I also found this on the permethrin thread:

I am still trying to figure out the ultraquarterweight setup, mostly because I am noob and still unfamiliar with terms.

I am happy to see that it appears to be practical to make something that will work.
    For a hammock, a single piece of 60" wide bugnet works fine. If he's going to use it in beds as well, he might need a second piece to allow it to be suspended over the bed. If he treats it with permethrin, the bugs won't come through. One might use something as basic as five safety pins to attach the to pieces together for "bed mode" and just use the single piece for hammock mode.

If you are in areas that HOT, noseeum netting might be too warm. Noseeum netting is finer than plain mosquito netting and restricts airflow that much more. Perhaps one 3.5 yard piece of each?
    I'm not sure how to suspend it over a bed, but a ridgeline from a hammock works fine with just sheet bends and some ballast on the corners.

Hammock
    BIAS WW micro 11'
    Tarp
    JRB hex 11'
    Insulation
    warm weather only
    Suspension
    DIY portable poles
    One might use something as basic as five safety pins to attach the to pieces together for "bed mode" and just use the single piece for hammock mode.
    Considering I don't plan to need this very often, and that I seem to end up in 'workaround mode' most of the time regardless of my plans anyway, this seems good advice. I always carry several small safety pins and a couple of jumbos. I will try a little tape backup. If the net ever gets worn out, I will know where to but reinforcement on my $15 replacement.

If you are in areas that HOT, noseeum netting might be too warm. Noseeum netting is finer than plain mosquito netting and restricts airflow that much more.
    I was going to open this discussion up down the road (I am a new kid on the block) after doing some more research. The difference in air exchange between regular netting and noseeum is a lot more than it would seem. I found (I will get the citation if anyone wants it) that a study in Africa found that standard (about 225 holes/inch) mosquito netting was nearly 100% effective against sand flies if it was deltamethrin treated according to WHO standards.

However, so far I don't know. I think it is great to find people who actually have experience in the subjects.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
    The difference in air exchange between regular netting and noseeum is a lot more than it would seem. I found (I will get the citation if anyone wants it) that a study in Africa found that standard (about 225 holes/inch) mosquito netting was nearly 100% effective against sand flies if it was deltamethrin treated according to WHO standards.
    Last weekend, I tested a 200 mesh net (most window screening is between 250-300 mesh), and I had no visitors. There was, indeed, a considerable difference in ventilation between this net, and finer mesh nets I've used in the past. The net was treated with one of the Sawyer permethrin soak kits, although there was no absorption of the product like there would be with fabric. While others in our group reported hearing the whine of 'skeeters, I didn't...there appeared to be a no-fly zone around the net, which I found comforting.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts