Cold and sweating....i hope

Hi All

Went out this weekend to some nearby woods - the weather was stunning and we found a great spot (albeit with some whoopie sling issues ive mentioned in another thread), anyway, for some reason (i'm blaming the hip flask for this one) i decided that my lightweight down sleeping bag would be enough to keep me warm, with nothing between my butt and the woods other than my hammock.
    Sure enough, at some point during the night, when the temp got down to about 11-12 degrees C (thats about 52-53 for you boys across the water) i woke up with cold shoulders, hips and a backside. However, i'd also been sweating enough to soak my sleeping bag thoroughly. I hadnt had that much to drink, so i wasnt too worried about it being anything else, but i did notice some condensation on the inside of the hammock in the morning.
    I'm using a DD Travel, and i know that they're not that breathable, but is it really possible that my sleeping bag kept me that hot on top, but the air outside got me cold enough to wake up - surely my body would circulate the warmth and create an average temp. Is it possible it was condensation and not sweat? I didnt have the netting zipped up, but there wasnt much of a breeze. Or perhaps my body didnt like the evening tipple and knackered its ability to regulate temp?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I think you've answered most of your own questions.
    A breathable material is necessary for eliminating condensation. I don't have any experience with DD hammocks. But the principles of science apply here. Try a breathable material hammock.
    Add an underquilt to your kit. Insulating the bottom of the hammock is crucial for a comfortable/warm nights sleep. Most folks find an uq needed for any temps below 75*. A pad can be used, but the uq is the best solution, in my opinion.

(from your other post) Do some research here on the forum. The answers are here. The search function is your friend.

The tree straps go around the tree and are secured with a carabiner, dutch clip or simply running the webbing thru an eye in the webbing. Then a toggle is attached to anywhere along the length of the remaining webbing to allow for adjustment. Use the Marlin spike hitch for the toggle attachment.
    Make sure your using a low stretch webbing. (not nylon)

Sag in any hammock is usually a good thing (your body weight will cause the hammock to lay flat).

Other points to be addressed.
    Stay hydrated. Your body will appreciate it.

thanks for the advice - i couldnt believe i could be hot and cold at the same time!
    Definitely gonna go with the toggle for next time.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    yes, your blood does a lot to equalize body temp, but there can be local accumulations of heat (or lack there-of ) in localized body regions, ie. why frostbite attacks toes and fingers first; larger surface area compared to mass enclosed, also why putting on a hat can warm your whole body (think radiator fins on an air-cooled engine...)
    in this scenario I would recommend a wind blocking layer at the very least under you, perhaps even a fleece throw, clipped to the hammock edges with clothespins or similar. Just try it with something you already have, before you rush out and buy a luscious, downy UQ (which are great and truly worth the cost, but only if it is really needed, in the summer usually not so much.)
    KM (who has a luscious downy UQ (Thanks Adam and Thorwren!) for cooler temps-but finds it difficult to stay cool in summer temps here in TX)

Images
    FWIW, I remember years ago hearing a report or two of some folks trying to compensate for no or inadequate backside insulation by using a much warmer than needed top side insulation. And reporting being to hot- even sweating- on top while still being too cold to sleep on the bottom. Don't know if any of that applies to your situation.

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I think the real problem was that your flask was too small!!! Just a little more and you would have slept through anything! Seriously though, I find it more comfortable to have more insulation on my back, and regulate heat from the top (think mattress and sheet if you're warm, up to a down comforter for the cold). The mattress always provides the same bottom insulation.

• + New Posts