Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyWarnock View Post
    What is your definition of a long hammock? 10 feet?
    The biggest hammock ive made is 12'. Its very comfy, but not significantly butter than my 11'. 10' is fine, i wouldnt go any shorter unless your looking at a bridge hammock. I find the 10' Blackbird feels better than a standard 11'. I think the foot box makes the difference.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Branch Camo Demo
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12 Int PM
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin 10* UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Web
    I have never had good luck with the diamond cuts, my two tarps are hex and 4 season with doors (UGQ WD12)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dragon View Post
    I have never had good luck with the diamond cuts, my two tarps are hex and 4 season with doors (UGQ WD12)
    Last Friday night I got absolutely hammered with buckets of rain and high winds for more than 12 hours. I was fine with the HG std hex with doors, but anything less would have been a nightmare.

I am now of the opinion that if I'm going to carry a tarp it might as well be at the very least a hex and not a diamond or asym that is seriously compromised by a small change in wind direction and cannot handle big wind at all.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Branch Camo Demo
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12 Int PM
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin 10* UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Web
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Last Friday night I got absolutely hammered with buckets of rain and high winds for more than 12 hours. I was fine with the HG std hex with doors, but anything less would have been a nightmare.

I am now of the opinion that if I'm going to carry a tarp it might as well be at the very least a hex and not a diamond or asym that is seriously compromised by a small change in wind direction and cannot handle big wind at all.
    Agreed, doors can go along way for such a small amount of added weight in the event of a windy storm.

Does anyone have thoughts about the 11 foot hex tarp vs the 11foot rectangle tarp. I want to buy a dyneema tarp for my blackbirdXL. I’m very new to hammocking and don’t want to make a mistake in this purchase. Buying US stuff from Canada online is always so expensive. Pros and cons of each? About me; I hate getting wet. I don’t want to fumble with the rope so I’ll buy the continuous ridge line with the hardware that comes with it. I want to set up easily.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Rosemarysz, is there a specific reason why you need a dyneema tarp? I’m asking because it is a very large investment and your likes/dislikes could change as you get more tarp experience. You may find that instead of paying $$$ for basic dyneema tarp, you could pay only $$ for a silpoly or silnylon and have more money for options - like doors and other gear.

The tarp shape is just a compromise between weight/bulk/coverage. The rectangle covers the most, the asymmetrical diamond covers the least - but if it covers, it’s job is done. I like a big tarp because I want a nice dry space beside the hammock. I like a Hex because they have less wind flap, provide the same rectangular coverage in the middle, and it can have doors for more weather shielding. But a rectangular tarp - if YouTube videos are to be believed - can be arrange in all kinds of ground shelters - if you run into a “no trees” zone.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112