Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Yes everything takes practice, but with practice you become more competent/efficient in your abilities (hammocking and outdoor activities def included). Like riding a bike.....

With a Hex (all tarps really) if you were to hang the tarp too high you could get hit with sideways rain, which is generally the issue with diamonds. A way to combat this (with a diamond) is to have it custom made (or DIY) with longer sides, which would effectively widen the sidewall area of the tarp where the hammock is located, there-by providing more coverage where it's needed.

This is apparent in the Gargoyle Tarp, with his design he took the best attributes of both the Hex and Diamond and combined them, now if one were to use this type of design and use....say.....Cuben it would be a light weight package with plenty of coverage. Just a thought.

IMHO all tarps must be hung properly to reduce the chance of getting wet.
    Here my next question in terms of hanging. My hammock is doubled sided with the bug net on one side and if you don't need bug net you can flip it over. If the bugs are in full swing, it seems the suspension for the bug net might rise up the tree. Least it did when I rigged it. Would the elastic cord for the bug net interfere badly with the tarp? I'm fairly certain I'm save to get the Warbonnet Edge tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    Here my next question in terms of hanging. My hammock is doubled sided with the bug net on one side and if you don't need bug net you can flip it over. If the bugs are in full swing, it seems the suspension for the bug net might rise up the tree. Least it did when I rigged it. Would the elastic cord for the bug net interfere badly with the tarp? I'm fairly certain I'm save to get the Warbonnet Edge tarp.
    Not too sure I understand you question/problem correctly?????????

Your hammock is designed to be flipped over and used net-less when no bugs are out (but the net is still attached), and when used with the net side up it has an elastic cord to keep the net up and out/off your face/body correct?

Most hammocks that come with a net already attached (like hennessy and warbonnet) have whats called a ridgeline, this line attaches at the ends of the hammock and is what keeps the net from falling down onto the user.

Most tarps sit a few (anywhere from a inch on up too almost a foot) above one's hammock suspension line and or the ends of the hammock (depending on the size of the tarp and length of hammock used together) having a line come in contact with the edge of the tarp even after being loaded (you in it) can be a possible place for rain water to come down that line and eventually drip on the occupant.

Same applies to a hammocks suspension, you might have heard of the use of drip lines or drip strings, or water break.

Rain has a very hard time moving down a horizontal line, but can move down a line with any degree of downward slope! So can you mod the bug net line to either attach to the end of the hammock, or the hammocks suspension (close to the fabric ends)?

Sorry for the long reply.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Here my new hammock. So, what you're saying the lines that running across the hammock holding up the bug net is called a ridgeline and water can run down that line during a good rainstorm and get me wet? If so, how do I solve this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your setup is similar to my Switchback hammock. I attach the bugnet bungie cords to the D-rings on the tarp. That keeps them out of the rain.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    Here my new hammock. So, what you're saying the lines that running across the hammock holding up the bug net is called a ridgeline and water can run down that line during a good rainstorm and get me wet? If so, how do I solve this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Your setup is similar to my Switchback hammock. I attach the bugnet bungie cords to the D-rings on the tarp. That keeps them out of the rain.
    Mad777's way works extremely well, another way is to use a small continuous lop attached to the d-ring of your tarp and use a mini biner, s-biner, dutch hook, or similar (these can/will serve as a water break) and attach the net lines to the biner.

So it would go net lines - biner - loop - tarp d-ring (same on the other end).
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    These guys know more than me, but...
    I have the same SBP as you. I dropped the shock cord. Took a couple old tent poles cut the shock cord out so that the sections would be free of each other. Took two of then and cut them ( even tho i am useing 4 poles total, where 2 become one )with the dremel to a total lenth of 39 3/8 long. Now just stuff the ends of the poles into the loops designed for the shock cord. Then I running a piece of paracord from one carabiner to the other ( the ones that came with the hammock ) this servers to lift the netting, and a a ridge line. Now everything is up and under the tarp, no worries about it getting wet
    Plus I just tie some cotton-ish cord to the suspension for a drip line

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    When I get a tarp I'll try those methods. Thanks, guys.

I'm eying the Tad Pole tarp by Wilderness Logic at this moment. I found several brands at 100 or less that suitable. I'm amaze at the amount of information on this site!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    thanks for the pics looks good

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKBENOIT55 View Post
    I would go with the hexe tarp
    Exactly!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I have a ENO fastfly it is a diamond tarp it is a piece of crap. I will replace it with a hex soon.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast