WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles

Soft Shackle weight limit

I know there isn't going to be a tested lab tested limit for this question but anyone using soft shackles in place of biners who is a big boy? I know these have been around long enough to be used by several folks by now. I need to know how much I can trust these on a loaded hammock.

I'd guess with me, clothes, my partially empty pack (hangs from my hammock at the gather) and UQ/TQ, I'd be nearing 280lbs.

Thanks, Perry

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    I've hung a lot on them but I'm only about 200# loaded. Opie is a big guy and I know he's hung on them. I picked up my 700 lawn tracker with them and they didn't even strain. These were all 7/64" ones like we sell in the store. I made some with diamond knots as the stopper and picked up the rear end of a Chevrolet HD2500 Diesel crew cab pickup with a camper shell, bed mat, misc. tools and a 300 pound technician in the bed. It didn't show any signs of distress. Without repeated lab testing, I wouldn't want to put a particular number on them and I'm too small to afford that lab testing. If you're hesitant, may I suggest some of the Nano 23 climbing carabiners we offer. They come in at only 23 grams and we have them for $5 right now. Hopefully some other big boys will chime in with their experiences.
    Last edited by SmokeBait; 06-01-2011 at 21:30. Reason: adding Diesel as they have a larger/heavier rear diff

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    The number I am about to give is a mathematical extrapolation from a 7/16 shackle I had proof tested and certified...

In the 7/64 variant in a soft shackle configuration you can expect the shackle to fail around 2233 pounds. It will fail in the knot. The knot derates the line by 30%, but since you have 2 legs in the equation, you are halving the total load on the SS. This is why the failure point is above the average rating of the line. If there was no derate, the failure point would be 3200 pounds, give or take. 3200 x .3 = 960. 3200 - 960 = 2233. If you want some safety factor in your SS, use the minimum strength of 7/64 which is 1400 pounds, which would mean your starting number would be 2800. 2800 x .3 = 840. 2800 - 840 = 1960.

These numbers do not take into account and sharp radius bends, line abrasion/degradation etc. New line based on destruction tests I had done on a 7/16 shackle.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Wow! Opie, you mind if I use that data to convince me wife we can Cristen my hammock?

Thanks Bro!

Smokebait, when I get the en route order and set up my tarp, I'll shoot you another with a few things I have since discovered I want.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    plaunius, be careful shock-loading the dyneema. Doesn't like it and I doubt your wife would like hitting the ground during christening.

• + New Posts