Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Durability of Cuben Tarps

I've been out of the loop for quite some time. I see that a substantial number of you are using Cuben Fiber tarps now. I made one for my long hike and was severely disappointed in it overall. Although lightweight and absolutely waterproof, I found it was easily punctured by sticks and pinecones that fell from trees during windy and/or stormy nights. It was easily patched with tape but that is not something I had an unlimited supply of and it adds weight to the tarp. I could have bought a heavier weight Cuban but then I might as well get Spinnaker fabric (much cheaper and about the same weight). I am just wondering if any of you have really put your tarps to the test and how they faired against falling debris. Thanks for your insight.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    With all the new offerings (and temptations), this is something I would very much like to have a greater understanding of.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Which Cuben did you use?
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images
    I have only had mine a short time now. I hung under some pines at the Spring MAHHA for 2 solid windy days with out issue. This weekend I was under some hemlocks for a night, again without issue. I heard a few things hit the tarp as the fell from the trees. No sign of damage. I consider my cuben to be the same strength as my silnylon, just lighter and doesn't stretch.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Which Cuben did you use?
    It was .48 oz s/y. There is spinnaker fabric that weighs .5 oz s/y and .75 oz s/y for about $11.00 s/y. If the weight is the same, I am just wondering what the advantage of Cuben is over spinnaker.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Snipe
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I too am curious about this. I'm not convinced that the tried and true sil/spinn tarps will become obsolete, but I do want to upgrade to cuben for my thru hike next year and I've been a little nervous about the durability. Lots of folks have been using them for awhile now with no issue though, so I'm sure they hold up quite well.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    My CF tarp from Zpacks was made with .51 cuben - If it's any less durable than spinnaker it's not noticeable to me. If the problem is the fabric being pierced - that can happen to any tarp if something heavy and pointed hits it with enough force.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    My CF tarp from Zpacks was made with .51 cuben - If it's any less durable than spinnaker it's not noticeable to me. If the problem is the fabric being pierced - that can happen to any tarp if something heavy and pointed hits it with enough force.
    Cuben will be pitched a lot tighter so when it is hit by something sharp it does tend to get a hole easier than silnylon. From my exprerience the hole will not continue to tear and is easily fixed by tape. I made my cuben tarp about the same time TBack got his a couple years back. I do like the .7 weight cuben for just a little more durability.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    If you had the same weight cuben and spinn, wouldn't the cuben be thicker, and therefore just as puncture resistent if not more? My understanding is that weight and thickness are not the same. Could be wrong though. My cuben food bag seems like it is considerably thicker than my sil bags, and weighs less.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

My experience... It is very strong, doesn't stretch much but is not extremely abrasion resistant. You can pull it taught, no problems. But it doesn't hold up real well if scraped. Take care of it and it should be fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast