Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question about Indoor Hanging

I was thinking about getting rid of my bed, replacing it with a hammock full-time. It would create alot more room for me, room that cannot accommodate a 12'L hammock stand.

Is it safe for an eye bolt to be put into the wall stud? Would it take 160lbs?
    Has anyone tried this, successfully, before?
    Please get back to me.
    "For the Glory of All, The Light Shines on".

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are two opinions... yes it works if done right... and Don't do it because you can seriously damage your wall. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Personally... I am with the "it ain't worth the risk" group. But others have had good results if done carefully and correctly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUDzJiW_7Q, the author states that the angle of the eye bolt is integral to the structural integrity of the set-up.
    Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUDzJiW_7Q, the author states that the angle of the eye bolt is integral to the structural integrity of the set-up.
    Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?

I have been reading about this for the past few nights... As it starts to get warmer here the hammock seems like it would be a cooler place to sleep and I really don't have room for a stand.

Fastening to the studs seems easy... But like its not worth the risk as others have said.

But many people, and even quite a few manufacturers recommend the use of eye lags into studs... some not even mentioning to do so at your own risk.

There was another post of someone swinging their children wildly in the hammock attached to studs.
    When you say "Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?"
    Who are these others?
    Has anyone here actually read a first hand case of the damage that is so often warned about? I am starting to think that if I can't find any cases of it being a problem... maybe the problem is a bit made up?

All this got me thinking, and so I started trying to find horror stories. Can't find one, short of damaging some drywall with a bent hook, or pulling small hooks out of studs.

When you say "Perhaps that (hammock being too taught. Putting all the pressure on the treads of screw, being pulled horizontally) is what went wrong for others?"
    Who are these others you speak of?
    Has anyone read first hand reports of series damage being done to studs/the frame of a house by hanging a hammock from the wall?
    I am starting to think if I cannot find a single case of it going wrong, with as relatively often as it is done... Perhaps the damage is a little made up? (especially as I am ~ 150lbs...)

Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    I am starting to think if I cannot find a single case of it going wrong, with as relatively often as it is done... Perhaps the damage is a little made up? (especially as I am ~ 150lbs...)

The potential for damage is quite real. The actual force applied horizontally to the wall can be much more than your weight, depending upon how tight your hammock is stretched. If you are content to let it dangle at a 45 degree angle, the force on each wall will be about half your weight, or 75 pounds. Decrease the angle to 30 degrees, and the force rises to about 130 pounds. At 20 degrees, it will be about 206 pounds. Tighten it to 10 degrees, and you are up to about 425 pounds. As the angle decrease, there is a real chance of pulling a stud loose at the top, particularly in modern tract housing.

If you have the clear space along the walls, I would still favor a free-standing unit consisting of a pair of triangular stands, one against each wall, with a compression member between them. The stands should be only a couple of inches thick, and the compression member will be up against the ceiling, with the hammock hanging from the ends. Without the hammock, little room space is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by GW Sears View Post
    The potential for damage is quite real. The actual force applied horizontally to the wall can be much more than your weight...
    As an engineering student I understand the potential... But I also understand that testing is more accurate the models... I have been googling for the past four days and have not been able to find a single failure greater then crumbling some drywall around bolts that bent slightly when they were not angled properly... I have however seen MANY people swinging wildly, even a hammock with multiple children in it being swung in circles by two adults.

I was thinking of starting a new thread to see if anyone has any first, or even second hand accounts of serious damage from only using 1 stud at each end. Maybe I am just trying to convince myself its OK, but if it is a danger it seems weird I can't find a single person having trouble.

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Getting a stand is the other, low risk, option, no need to worry about the walls that way.

There are TONS of stand reviews as well as more than enough DIY stands on the forum.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Eye bolts are designed for in-line loading where the threads take the force. Like I said before... you pays your money and you takes your chances. For me... it's not worth it. Others have been successful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I don't like the ideas of stands, they just seem too bulky for a single purpose, maybe tying webbing around a bunk frame and hanging from that would work.

eyebolts or padeyes in studs

I'm planning to use eye bolts or padeyes. At first I was going to just use a hammock outside for naps, then saw that people actually use them in their houses for sleeping! Viola!! However then I discovered about all the walls being pulled out, and the necessity of putting up extra 2x4's across studs, and/or extra floor to ceiling beams. That freaked me out a bit, and so I was planning to use one of those options.

However I think the pressure on the walls greatly depends on one's weight, and also the angle of attachment of the hammock. I have a 6' tall steel pole in the back that is set in concrete in the ground. I can grab the top of the pole, and very easily bend it back and forth a few inches at the top. However if I hang at the top and try to pull directly downward to the ground, the pole doesn't budge, because it's not possible for me to push the pole downward into the concrete in the ground, nor to bend it by pulling downward in that direction. It is the same for the studs in the walls. They are much stronger in their vertical positions.

With a Mayan or Brazilian hammock as I'm planning to get, the force is almost directly downward, where the studs are the strongest, and I'm about 150 lbs. So I've decided to go ahead and use eyebolts or padeyes and straps, set right in the centers and near the tops of the studs. Those eyebolts in the video (msg #3) appear to only go about an inch in the wood. I think it's better that after the holes are predrilled, they go at least two inches into the wood, not including the sheetrock.

Eye Bolts
    http://images2.powerreviews.com/medi...53266_full.jpg
    http://images2.powerreviews.com/medi..._53265_raw.jpg

D rings <-- might be the best option
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...6&postcount=14

Pad Eyes
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...06&postcount=4
    Last edited by johnlvs2run; 05-28-2011 at 20:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast