Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    true, both of the doors in my room open in, but he made a comment at the end that if you hung from a point near the pivot of the door the strength would be higher. I'm definitely going to give it a shot next week. If I bust my butt I'll be sure to post the results here.
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Please find some standard framing diagrams for residential door. Go to several sources and compare them.
    Here's one http://www.finishabasement.com/const...ming_doors.htm

I think you will see that the construction, including the jack studs, is about what you'd expect to hang a 10 lb / 5 kg hollow core door and keep it plumb and resistant in use to twisting.

That is to say: It depends on the framing carpenter, because the header and jack studs are not load bearing. So you may wind up a door which can no longer swing and close correctly, not to mention drywall pulled away from the framing only to have drywall mud drop out of screw-indentations when pressure is relieved.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joehasbeard View Post
    true, both of the doors in my room open in, but he made a comment at the end that if you hung from a point near the pivot of the door the strength would be higher. I'm definitely going to give it a shot next week. If I bust my butt I'll be sure to post the results here.
    Well, watch yourself AND your doors. Without the door frame holding the suspension in place, a lot of that force will be going to the hinges and screws.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Please find some standard framing diagrams for residential door. Go to several sources and compare them.
    Here's one http://www.finishabasement.com/const...ming_doors.htm

I think you will see that the construction, including the jack studs, is about what you'd expect to hang a 10 lb / 5 kg hollow core door and keep it plumb and resistant in use to twisting.

That is to say: It depends on the framing carpenter, because the header and jack studs are not load bearing. So you may wind up a door which can no longer swing and close correctly, not to mention drywall pulled away from the framing only to have drywall mud drop out of screw-indentations when pressure is relieved.
    Agreed. A hotel door or an exterior door will have a much sturdier frame than a closet door.

Hammock
    GTUL
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Cosmic 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Webs
    So I just got home and was looking at the integrity of my door frames and I gotta say, for a house that's probably over 100 years old those door frames really look... terrible. Some of the screws for the hinges aren't even biting on wood, they're just wiggling around in their respective holes. I don't think I'll be using that method at all, however in a newer home or between stronger doors I might. Lot of excellent commentary here guys, thanks.
    Only the dreamer venoms all his days,
    Bearing more woe than all his sins deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    *snip* My 14' steel hammock *snip*
    I'm in a 7'x7' box room, that's why I'd want to go to a hammock to save room.
    "For the Glory of All, The Light Shines on".

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Door frames are undoubtedly the _WORST_ place to hang save plain drywall.. They are not intended to support any kind of weight in the direction the hammock would exert force. That's asking for some extensive carpentry repairs IMO. If you can do it yourself be my guest but otherwise you can end up tapping your emergency repair fund.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Given a 7' x 7' room, the only way I can see to hang a hammock would be to mount two padeyes in the ceiling so that your hammock will hang diagonally to the room. The distance between the padeyes should be equal to the length of your ridgeline. If it is a 9 foot hammock, that's going to hover around 8 feet apart. Then hang a pole or piece of pipe from the padeyes at a height equal to where your ridgeline would normally be. Hang hammock from ridge pole. The added benefit of this method is that you are distributing the load on the ceiling such that each padeye receives 0.5 x your weight. When not in use, the pole could be stashed in a corner.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    I'm in a 7'x7' box room, that's why I'd want to go to a hammock to save room.
    with a 7x7 room you will only have just under 10' diagonally, so you will have to tie into the corner studs, which are usually ganged together in residential construction, as others have said , use caution and know where you are putting your fasteners, others here have used a piece of angle iron ,(like on your garage door) to distribute the load more evenly on the stud. of course this won't stop it from ripping the stud out of the wall, if the stud wasn't nailed properly ,but it will help from putting too much stress on one point.
    fyi, i have been hanging every night from an eyebolt, for more than a year, works for me
    good luck

that video is an excelent example of misinformation on the net...probably the kinda stuff that makes an inn keeper unable to sleep at night. doors are not built to take any thing but swinging open and closed. when they're shipped from the factory they are well braced for the trip. but once the shipping braces are off they are about as sturdy as molded jello! the door framing surounding it is a bit stronger than most studs along the wall, but they all are attached to the ceiling and the floor nailers with the same nails. there's no way around this-"loads that are pulling the wall(s) horozontaly must be carefulyy thought out!" i give this video three thumbs down!!!
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 05-29-2011 at 10:16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast