Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    So every time the bug net is removed/applied, you have to remove/insert the shockcord after setup? Sorry if I'm still not understanding this.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    At the start of bug season the net would be added to the hammock. This can be done at home before heading out doors. Shock cord knots are put into suspension and left. Hammock is taken down and set up again without removing the bugnet. After bug season the shock cord knots are removed from suspension bugnet is removed and hammock is used with out bug protection.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang009 View Post
    So every time the bug net is removed/applied, you have to remove/insert the shockcord after setup? Sorry if I'm still not understanding this.
    no the shock cord stays in place, it runs inside a channel on either side on top.
    You sew a channel on either side at the top of your netting and run the cord through it
    and make a permanent loop.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Flashbang009, if you wanted an installed bugnet the one Tee Dee made isn't for you. Its made to be removable. But the concept is the same, zipper and/or velcro less entrance.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    No I am looking for a removable net. I think what I'm really looking for is something to slide out of the way (via a drawstring opening discussed a few posts back) so that it would simply slide to the end of the hammock, and then to take it completely off you would slide the entire net off past the suspension (before/after the hammock is hung)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What you are looking for is Sgt. Rocks bug sock. Papa smurf makes and sells them I believe.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    even with those great pictures, I'm still confused about how the net attaches to the ridgeline/the shock cord is attached on the ends. Can someone post or describe the process of putting it on the hammock/ridgeline?
    It is really quite simple - of course I have the luxury of standing in front of the actual bug net instead of pictures and trying to understand my less than illuminating text .

The shock cord goes through 2 channels. When the netting is installed, the two channels with shock cord are at the top right alongside a structural ridge line (or where a structural ridge line would be if you had one). There is a gap between the 2 shock corded channels. Grab one channel, pull down to the side of the hammock, sit down in hammock, lay back and let go of the channel. The shock cord pulls the channel back next to the ridge line.

Now that leaves a gap at the top of the netting. There is a flap the full length, from end to end, that is attached to one of the channels. This flap is flipped over the gap to seal it. It slips back into place automatically when you get into or exit the hammock.

The shock cord get attached to the suspension lines. Since the netting isn't a closed sack, but open at the top, it is easy to install the netting around the hammock. Simply open the top and let the hammock drop into the the netting, attach the shock cord to the suspension at one end and then the second end. Of course it is slightly more complicated than that, but the details are obvious once you have both the hammock and netting in hand and go to do it.

Now for my suspension and hammocks I have my own way of attaching the hammock to the suspension. My suspension is 2 Whoopie Slings. I have a structural ridge line attached between the whoopie slings. The ridge line is simply a length of 1.75 mm Lash-It with a fixed eye spliced on both ends. The ends of the ridge line are then larks headed to the fixed eyes of the whoopie slings. In this way I have a single continuous suspension from tree to tree.

To attach my hammock to the suspension, I have a Diamond knot tied on the line at each end of the hammock. One Diamond knot is slipped through a fixed eye of one of the whoopie sling fixed eyes. The diamond knot at the other end of the hammock is slipped into the fixed eye of the other whoopie sling. The hammock is hung on the suspension line. I have Solomon Bar knots tied around the whoopie sling fixed eyes that slide down and close off the eye to capture the diamond knot. If you look closely at picture #5, you can see the diamond knot (it's that knot with the loop sticking up) sticking up through the whoopie sling fixed eye and immediately to the left you can see the gray Lash-It I used to tie the Solomon Bar slider.

Looking at picture #5 you can also see the 2 shock cords from the 2 channels along the bug netting top inserted into the whoopie sling fixed eye also. I have spread the 2 shock cords in the picture so that they are easier to make out. If you look at picture #6, you can see both shock cords side by side. Remember that normally the shock cords are in the sewn channels of the netting. They are sewn in the channels permanently and are never removed. Just the ends of the shock cords are exposed so that they can be inserted in the whoopie sling fixed eyes.

Now there are several options with the bug netting:

1. Install at beginning of bug season and leave installed until bug season over. This means packing up hammock and netting together.
    2. The bug netting can be installed when the hammock is set up and then taken off in the morning or when the hammock is taken down for packing. With this option the netting and hammock can be packed together or separately, your choice.

Maybe there is another choice that I haven't even thought of - that is likely.

Which option you choose is your choice.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No I am looking for a removable net. I think what I'm really looking for is something to slide out of the way (via a drawstring opening discussed a few posts back) so that it would simply slide to the end of the hammock, and then to take it completely off you would slide the entire net off past the suspension (before/after the hammock is hung)
    The TED design allows the bug netting to be moved out of the way without removing it. Simply grab one of the top channels as you would when getting into the hammock, pull the shock cord and netting down under the hammock and let it go on the other side of the hammock.

The hammock is now outside of the bug netting.

Just reverse the maneuver to put the hammock back inside the bug netting.

Of course you will have the bug netting hanging down along one side of the hammock.

If that bothers you then removing the TED bug netting is easy since it can be done without taking down the hammock or having to thread the suspension through the netting or anything like you would have to do with a closed sack netting.

Personally, I find that the TED design is far easier to install and remove than any closed sack design I have used or seen. Also, I think it is easier than any I have seen that are attached to the hammock with Velcro or even zippers, although I have to admit I haven't used one of that design that use a zipper, only Velcro. I have watched while someone else stowed and deployed a bug netting that was permanently attached along one side and had a zipper the full length of the other side. I didn't like the zipper since it was easier said than done to close the zipper once inside, but then my body isn't as flexible as it was 6 decades back. I'm finding that influences my decisions more than I could have imagined when I was 20.

Also, I wouldn't like the netting permanently attached to the hammock. It closes off my options. If I don't want or need the netting, my only choice would be to use a different hammock. I don't want or need a collection of hammocks for each season. One is enough for all seasons for me.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Tee Dee I apologize. I thought the bugnet was closed on the ends. It just hit me why your bungees go to the suspension. If the closing flap is thrown over the hammock and the shock cord released then the bugnet will fall off the hammock. Completely removable yet completely enclosed.

Okay so I need to build this tonight to take my bridge in the woods tomorrow. Length I am guessing is ridge line length along the top and slightly larger then hammock body on the bottom?

P.S. How do you get your whites so white. (nice socks)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Would it be possible/logical to figure out a way to attach the shock cord to a biner (or any other quick release) to clip onto loops on the suspension? That way if you wanted the net completely out of the way, you could simply unclip one biner and clip it on the other end of the hammock..?

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast