1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great pics Aardvark.

I didnt realize the shock cords were connected to the ridgeline.
    Does the top of the bugnet sag too much if not attached to RL?
    Do you have to unhook shock cord from RL before pulling down to exit?

I pictured the tension of the shock cord being the only thing that held the top of bug net up.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Bridge TED

Finally finished the film roll so that I have pictures of my TED. Had TiredFeet upload the pictures while I was busy with my wifes Honeydo list.

I used 10 yards of polyester Organza from JoAnne's - you can get it at Hancock Fabrics also. I used their Chocolate Brown instead of black - like the softer color much better. The raw weight of the material came to 0.94 oz/sq yrd. Better than noseeum, but a little more than nanoseeum.

In order to get the needed width, I cut the 10 yrds into 2 5 yrd pieces and sewed together to get a double width. Nothing fancy I just overlapped the selvage and sewed it together. Easier and lighter than cutting the selvage and hemming, probably stronger too - that selvage is strong:

I had already computed the pattern and cut it out, so I just laid it on the material and traced the pattern on the material with tailors chalk. Actually I used 2 patterns: one for the main body and one for the parabolic end panels. One parabola for the head end and one for the foot end. The main body pattern is narrower at the foot end than the head end. I computed this so that the bug netting hung level underneath the Bridge Hammock, the same distance from the hammock along the entire length. This made things neater and reduced the amount of material in the bug netting.

Here is the whole pattern traced out. If you look closely you can see the parabolic head end panel traced in white tailors chalk:

Here is the pattern cut out. It comes out as a single piece of material, then all I have to do is sew it together. The "wing" on the right has the flap that flops over the top to close the gap. You can see the chalk lines for the hemmed cord channel. Also, you can see the chalk lines on the left "wing" for the cord channel. I sew the cord channels on the wings first and then sew the end panels. The parabolic end panel gets sewn to the wings up to the "wing tips" and then the tips are sewn to the triangle at the top of the parabolic end panel. The triangle at the top of the parabolic end panel then forms the closure underneath the suspension triangle. The top of the triangle is flat so that a cord channel can be sewn. A length of 1.75 mm Lash-It is threaded through that channel and used to tie the TED end around the suspension to seal the TED ends.

For the cord through the channels, I use a combination of 1/8" diameter shock cord and 1.75 mm Lash-It. I minimized the use of the shock cord because that stuff is strong yet heavy. I used 16" lengths of shock cord on the head end and 14" lengths on the foot end. The Lash-It is 82" long. I tied an overhand knot at one end of the shock cord and spliced a locked brummel eye on each end of the Lash-It. The fixed eye is sized to just fit the shock cord so that the knot in the shock cord keeps the shock cord captured. I then tied 2 more overhand knots on the other end of the shock cord:

That end is inserted into the fixed eye of my whoopie sling suspension. The knot at the very end is used to grasp the shock cord.

Here are both cords inserted in the suspension:

Here is the TED installed on the Bridge. You can see the top flap hung over onto the near side of the TED. The Bridge is not occupied.

Here is the same thing with TiredFeet in the Bridge Hammock:

Here's what it looks like inside:

I can also remove the Bridge Hammock end panels to get a breeze blowing through the Bridge:

Makes things much cooler when there is breeze.

Specs:

weight of material cut out: 8.30 oz

weight of material sewn w/o cords: 8.60 oz

Final weight: 9.55 oz.

The 1/8" diameter shock cord adds almost a full oz. If I had used the shock cord the full length, it would have added another 2.6 oz. I tried smaller diameter shock cord, but the 1/8" diameter stuff is the smallest I could find that was strong enough to support the bug netting without excessive droop.

The TED design is the best design bug net I have used. It is similar to the Hennessy in that it is extremely simple to use - no zippers to close and no Velcro to match up. I have used both zippers and Velcro and both are a PITA to use in practice. Also both are very heavy in comparison to the 1.75 mm Lash-It.

I liked the Hennessy design except for the fact that the bottom of the hammock and hence your body is left open to mosquitoes.

I refuse to use chemicals on a hammock (seen too many adverse reactions to chemicals, even those which are 'claimed' to be okay for human use ) and so the bug netting must fully enclose the hammock for my use.

The TED design is the best, simplest to use and lightest I have used.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Tee Dee, the cord channels are just pinched material? Also the diamond shapes on the ends are for the spreader bars correct?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Tee Dee, the cord channels are just pinched material? Also the diamond shapes on the ends are for the spreader bars correct?
    There are 4 cord channels: 1 each on the wings to form the open top and 1 each on the top of the triangle on the top of the parabolic end panels which seal off the TED ends to the suspension. The cord channels are all hemmed channels.

By the diamond shapes I'm guessing that you mean the triangles in picture #4. If so then no. They get sewn to the triangle on the top of the parabolic end panels and enclose the suspension triangle up to the structural ridge line (really the shock corded open top of the TED).

If you mean the odd shapes on the near and far ends of picture #4, those are the parabolic end panels. Think of my Bridge TED as another Bridge enveloping a Bridge. Those are the end panels for the enveloping TED Bridge. The Enveloping TED Bridge end panels then have triangles on the top of the parabola and those triangles are panels that cover the underside of the enclosed Bridge Hammock suspension triangle. I think that is clear?? If not please ask again and specify which picture you are referencing.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

I got started working on a new tailored version but haven't had time to finish it yet, just a slightly different version based on the same great simple design.

I tailored the ends at the bottom at either end to eliminate the unnecessary sag, which should make it a bit more steady in windy conditions.

The TED has proved to be a great design, I might extend the side openings further down to allow for a quicker setup time.
    The 10" top cover has proved to be adequate for my needs...

I will be using tulle again when I get around to making the tailored version, I like the material, it's super light, very cool, lets the air through while keepng the bugs out, and good visibility from the inside with plenty of natural light getting through. Tulle comes in a lot of different colors so if you are color conscientious I am sure you will be able to find the color of your choice.
    Last edited by LeDude; 09-13-2011 at 19:59.
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by LeDude View Post
    I got started working on a new tailored version but haven't had time to finish it yet, just a slightly different version based on the same great simple design.

I tailored the ends at the bottom at either end to eliminate the unnecessary sag, which should make it a bit more steady in windy conditions.

The TED has proved to be a great design, I might extend the side openings further down to allow for a quicker setup time.
    The 10" top cover has proved to be adequate for my needs...

I will be using tulle again when I get around to making the tailored version, I like the material, it's super light, very cool, lets the air through while keepng the bugs out, and good visibility from the inside with plenty of natural light getting through. Tulle comes in a lot of different colors so if you are color conscientious I am sure you will be able to find the color of your choice.
    Are you going to incorporate the velcro into your tailored design?

Quote Originally Posted by flashbang009 View Post
    Are you going to incorporate the velcro into your tailored design?
    alas velcro and tulle don't work very well together...
    tulle sticks to velcro like glue and you can tear it trying to free it...
    I use small transparent plastic snaps instead
    Happy Hanging ....
    LeDude ...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    If you mean the odd shapes on the near and far ends of picture #4, those are the parabolic end panels. Think of my Bridge TED as another Bridge enveloping a Bridge. Those are the end panels for the enveloping TED Bridge. The Enveloping TED Bridge end panels then have triangles on the top of the parabola and those triangles are panels that cover the underside of the enclosed Bridge Hammock suspension triangle. I think that is clear?? If not please ask again and specify which picture you are referencing.
    No, this clears it up for me. The parabolic end panels when sewn to the main bugnet create the width needed for the bridge spreader bars.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    even with those great pictures, I'm still confused about how the net attaches to the ridgeline/the shock cord is attached on the ends. Can someone post or describe the process of putting it on the hammock/ridgeline?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    There is a big flap that you use to get into the hammock. If you open it and put the hammock inside then feed your suspension cord through the holes on each end the hammock will now be inside the bug net. All that is left is to put the shock cord knots through the suspension knot as shown in photo #5 and your done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast