Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ingenious.

For years I have been trying to design a workable bug net for my Bridge Hammocks. I simply refuse to use chemicals that are designed to kill living tissue on my body. I know that the makers of Deet and permithrin swear that it is safe to use, but I am too old to any longer believe people with a profit motive in convincing me of their true honesty.

For this reason all bug nets for my Bridge Hammocks must have full coverage, top, bottom and ends. I have been stuck in the mode of thinking of zippers and Velcro, neither are to my liking with noseeum, especially Velcro - ruined too much noseeum with Velcro.

So as soon as TiredFeet brought your design to my attention, I knew immediately that my quest for Bridge Hammock bug netting was solved. Thank You very much.

The Bridge Hammock is different from a gathered end hammock in full coverage bug netting design. For a gathered end hammock, the sides are wider than the ends. So the usual design of draping the bug netting from the ridge line, letting it hang over the sides and gathering on the ends and underneath works very well.

A Bridge Hammock is narrower in the middle than the spreader bars. The hammock then tapers to a point at the apex of the suspension triangle. So simply draping the bug netting doesn't work. You end up with huge gaps in the middle. So simple draped bug netting doesn't work like it does for gathered end hammocks.

The only solution for full coverage that I could get to work in the past was lots and lots of bug netting and zippers. Then I had the proverbial question: horizontal or vertical zippers?

Well, the TED design is brilliant. No Zippers, No Velcro. Simple shock cording and only a few inches on one or both ends connected by 1.75 mm Lash-It works very well. Entry from either side is possible (not possible with zippers or Velcro).

I sew the top flap to one side of the entry only, so entry from one side is much easier than the other side. That sacrifices the entry from both sides, but keeps the flap attached to the netting and thus impossible to lose.

I sew a parabolic end panel on the ends with triangles to fit the suspension triangles and I have full coverage.

Easy entry/exit and the netting snaps back into place. No hassle, no fiddling with zippers or Velcro. Pull the netting down, sit down, swing into the Bridge and let go. Done.

Thank You Again.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    That's wonderful that you've designed a TED for a bridge hammock, TeeDee! PLEASE post some photos or a video of your TED in action. I would LOVE to see it!!! Happy hanging!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    That's wonderful that you've designed a TED for a bridge hammock, TeeDee! PLEASE post some photos or a video of your TED in action. I would LOVE to see it!!! Happy hanging!
    I don't have a digital camera, so pictures will have to wait on the roll of film being used to the end and developing. I was taking pictures as I developed the pattern and cut and put together the pieces, so I'll post those also.

I'm using Organdy for the main body. For the parabolic end panels and suspension triangles, I'm using nanoseeum that I salvaged from an older attempt at designing a full coverage bug netting. I had to use more separate pieces of the nanoseeum than I would like since it was salvaged stuff.

In the future, I'll use either Organdy or Organza entirely for the netting. Slightly heavier (not much) and a much finer mesh than nanoseeum or noseeum, but that's fine also since I can get the Organza or Organdy locally. Organza or Organdy have a great advantage over nanoseeum or noseeum, the stuff can be sewn easily since they are slightly stiffer. I have about 10 yds of camo noseeum, but that stuff is heavier since the camo is painted on.

Anyway, as soon as I get the roll developed, I'll post pictures.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Images
    [QUOTE=rreevestmmk;485711
    I'll get total weight later, but total cost about $13![/QUOTE]

How many yards did it take and where did you get it. I need to make some for my kids hammocks.

Hammock
    Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hi Pipsissewa,
    Just wanted to thank you for your post, and let you know you inspired me to build a Top Entry bug net for a bridge hammock also. For those who haven't seen it here mine attaches to the hammock rather than covering the whole thing, but otherwise pretty much just a direct adaptation of your design. Your top design was brilliant...I especially like that I can get in and out on either side, and so quick! Your video is definitely what got me moving on this, thanks!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Hey, Tenaya! So glad you're enjoying your TED! But, the top entry design is ALL Hangnout's brilliant idea!! See: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29395

Hangnout's design has inspired a lot of variations: the TED (my detachable version), a TED for bridge hammocks and different versions of Hangnout's zipperless attached bug net. But thanks for the shout out, Tenaya! I really appreciate it! Again, your bug net looks awesome!!! YOU will be inspiring NEW ideas!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Hey, Tenaya! So glad you're enjoying your TED! But, the top entry design is ALL Hangnout's brilliant idea!! See: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29395

Hangnout's design has inspired a lot of variations: the TED (my detachable version), a TED for bridge hammocks and different versions of Hangnout's zipperless attached bug net. But thanks for the shout out, Tenaya! I really appreciate it! Again, your bug net looks awesome!!! YOU will be inspiring NEW ideas!
    Without a doubt! Hangnout started what is in my mind a major branch in hammock evolution.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Bump

I just think this deserves a "Bump" and to be sticky. There is a lot of useful information in this thread. Your all so darned bright!!

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtinaz View Post
    How many yards did it take and where did you get it. I need to make some for my kids hammocks.
    8 yards is the amount of material, got it from Joammes fabrics on sale for $1.79/yard. Shock cord from a "untied" cargo net @ Harbor Freight, @5.99.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Very nice bug net

• + New Posts