Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flashbang009 View Post
    Would it be possible/logical to figure out a way to attach the shock cord to a biner (or any other quick release) to clip onto loops on the suspension? That way if you wanted the net completely out of the way, you could simply unclip one biner and clip it on the other end of the hammock..?
    I think that could easily be done. Instead of knots in the shock cord, loops could be made and a biner inserted. Doesn't even have to be a big biner cause there is not much pulling force being applied.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Tee Dee I apologize. I thought the bugnet was closed on the ends. It just hit me why your bungees go to the suspension. If the closing flap is thrown over the hammock and the shock cord released then the bugnet will fall off the hammock. Completely removable yet completely enclosed.

Okay so I need to build this tonight to take my bridge in the woods tomorrow. Length I am guessing is ridge line length along the top and slightly larger then hammock body on the bottom?

P.S. How do you get your whites so white. (nice socks)
    TeeDee's off out of town for a day or two, so.....

For the length of the top channels, TeeDee used two different lengths. For the top channel that has the flap attached (and not used for entry/exit), just make the length equal to the length on the suspension from one netting attachment point to the attachment point on the other end.

For the top channel that gets pulled down for entry/exit, he made the top channel length equal to the length of the other top channel plus the length of the head end suspension triangle side plus the length of the foot end suspension triangle side. You need the extra length on the entry/exit channel side to keep from ripping the fabric on entry/exit.

The length of the main body needs to be the length from the outside side of one spreader bar to the outside side of the other spreader bar plus 2" to allow separation from the end panels.

The above of course is for a Bridge Hammock. Don't really know what you would use for a gathered end hammock.

As for the socks, his wife says that using cotton and drying in the sun does most of that.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Miss Pips, glancing back thru this thread nowhere could I find where you extolled the joys of sewing tulle. If I had known how much fun it is I wouldn't have procastinated so long.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Can someone post their total cost for building this net?

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    My version (maybe on page 6 of this post.... 8 yards is the amount of material, got it from Joammes fabrics on sale for $1.79/yard. Shock cord from a "untied" cargo net @ Harbor Freight, @5.99.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    These have probably already been answered but what material did you use Aardvark, and how the heck did you get away with that sale price??

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So, I finally got around to making the TED bug net. Thanks to Pips and all the other posters for the great ideas.

For my second ever DIY project involving the thread injector, it came out pretty well. I made one mistake, but since I could live with it, I left the seam ripper in its case. I attached a photo of it mounted on my DIY hammock on the hammock stand.

It's made from noseeum netting since I wanted complete protection from the critters and the durability of noseeum compared to other options like tulle. Weight is 9.5 ounces including a couple of mini biners for attaching to my hammock suspension.

It's not quite done, as I'm not real happy with how the ridge cap works. I made the cap smaller than Pips did (12" overall - 6" per side) and I also made it out of netting. The reason I'm not happy with it is because it's real loose. If I put tension on the bug net itself, the cap stays tight enough that it probably will not blow off. My other idea is to use a couple of small squares of Velcro to hold it about midpoint (not my favorite idea). Another poster suggested adding shock cord to the ridge cap. I thought of doing that too, but avoided it due to the extra weight. I'm rethinking that.

I used Velcro on the hammock ends so that the bug net can be added or removed easily. I also shaped the bug net like suggested in post number 105 by LeDude.

If I were to do this design again, I would make the bug net so that there was only one side to get in an out of. That would make it faster and easier to make, and cut some weight in the process. I would like to try the nanoseeum fabric and see how much lighter and smaller it would be. I haven't tried stuffing this TED bug net yet, but it's surprisingly bulky.

Supplies came from DIYGearSupply. 7 yards of noseeum (I used 19' 4"), a yard of velcro (used 20 inches), two cord locks, two micro biners, and a spool of thread. Total cost, about $32 not including shipping. Other folks have done it quite a bit cheaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adkphoto; 01-14-2012 at 19:34. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Sold! I'm going to make one, your a genius!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    40* TQ, 20* Zeppli
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Absolutely the most ingenious hammock mod concept!
    Live for today, Prep for tomorrow.
    Pack and Paddle Events Page
    SBJ Outdoor Concepts

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I recently made Pip's TED bugnet from tulle. Entry was from both sides. I used 3/32" shock cord. I measured the length of the hammock along the edge, then cut my shock cord to match that length when it was stretched to 3/4 of its maximum length. That stil left it in plenty of tension along the ridgeline.

I made the cap smaller also. I sewed a 3/8" wide strip of soft grossgain down the center of the cap. I used about 3" of shock cord on one end of the cap where it's attached to the suspension: that keeps the cap in tension too.

The ends of my hammocks have a 12" continuous loop of amsteel which attach to the suspension with Dutch biners. The biners are where I also attach the bugnet. I sewed small loops on the ends of both the bugnet and the cap for this purpose.

I also treated the tulle (a manly dark brown color from JoAnns) with permethrin.

The whole thing, including the baseball sized stuff sack weighs 3.5 ounces.
    Last edited by MAD777; 01-25-2012 at 17:56.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast