Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Setup

Best Setup

I'm ready to take the plunge into a hammock, and I have read a fair amount. But with any gear purchase there are always tried and true products that just always work.

So I am asking experienced members here what brand and model, with a tarp, can I not go wrong with. Of course weight, quality and comfort are all issues, and I would like to order a system. So experienced user, if you were me, what would you buy?

Thanks in advance!

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    You will probably get as many answers as there are members on this forum to this question. I would try to maybe catch a group hang and check a few out...

That said... buy a Warbonnet blackbird or traveler
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Its your first post, so welcome from Kentucky.

I won't try to answer your question. If you look through the forums you will see certain product names over and over again. These would be the tested products. But what is best for me is not what is best for you. And you will find that there are many answers to your question.

Some questions you might want to address to allow better answers: Are you backpacking? Lightweight? Or car camping? Where are you camping and what seasons? Are you looking for comfort, lightweight, safety? All these variables come into play.

If possible, you should attend a hang, or get together with some HF members and try out some gear. That would give you an idea of what will fit your own needs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you want to order everything from the same maker, you could go with Warbonnet Outdoors. The Blackbird is the most popular hammock here. You can get the tarp of your choice as well as an under quilt and a top quilt. Those are the four big pieces of gear.
    Having said that, there are plenty of great manufacturers here. Just look around and you'll see what gear is highly regarded. From my personal experience. Warbonnet Outdoors, OES Tarps, Jacks R Better, Arrowhead Equipment, and Hammock Gear all make great stuff.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    What they said.

I know not much help there, but people love thier hammocks and people's indivual bodies and preferences make trying to narrow down to the one best hammock all but impossible. I'd suggest figuring out what you want in your perfect hammock and taking that list and comparing it to the features of hammocks out there.

Of course there is always the DIY method.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Buy a nice, big big RV and pack whatever hammock you want. And bring along a hammock stand in case there are no suitable trees. You now have solved with one intelligent purchase all the issues that confront the would be hammocker: rain, cold, and where to put the dog. (not to mention sore feet!)

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    my personal go to setup is
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    3season yeti UQ
    3season hammockgear TQ

then for really hot weather I have a hammock sock or can also be used for additional UQ protector in colder weather

Tarp. Superfly, Mamajamba, Anything from MacCat family - there's, AHE who has a family of tarps, wilderness logics & a few others. Depending on how much coverage you want & if weight is an issue - each of these tarps have its own little feature

Good luck!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Tarps... huh... I have OES and Warbonnet tarps... which is better? Can't answer. You will love either. I've seen Gargoyle's Mega-Ogee and want one of those now too.

Hammocks... huh... I have Warbonnet and Tree to Tree Trail Gear hammocks... for me personally, I LOVE the WB Blackbird design, but I am more comfortable in my TtTTG Switchback (and I LOVE the SB design too). Probably the most comfortable hammock I've ever been in was Smokehouse's home made 11' long gathered end hammock (probably cost $30-$40 to make(?). Try and try until you find your fit. If you buy and don't like, you can move it here on the forums.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    I've been hanging for about a year now, but just recently found the site. I used a Byer Moskito Traveler at first and almost loved it to death. (It's getting pretty beat up.) I just recently took the dive into a Warbonnet Blackbird, as well as a Warbonnet Edge Tarp. Couldn't be more satisfied. As stated above, Warbonnet does top quilts and under quilts as well, so if you want to take care of everything in one order, that is probably one of the best places to do it. In terms of which Blackbird to pick, there is a pretty good guide on his website to help you choose. In terms of tarp, well, think of it as small, medium, large. Obviously price and weight are directly proportional to tarp size. You pick your coverage that you're comfortable with. Finally, for insulation, most people would agree that three season quilts are the best way to go in terms of one stop shopping, assuming you are a three season camper. Obviously, if you just do stuff in summer, then you probably only need summer quilts, but that's pretty self explanatory. You can always vent if you are warm, but it's tough to add warmth when you are cold. If you are willing to look around a bit more for the pieces to your system, OES has a great reputation and following on the site, as well as the gear and customer service from HammockGear.com. (The latter I can speak from experience. Highly recommended.) All in all, it's going to be difficult to go wrong. If you give us a bit more info about you and your plans, goals, values, etc., we may be able to help more.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I agree that you should try and find a group hang and test out a few hammocks. I bought two Blackbirds based on all the great reviews. My fiancee loves hers but I couldn't get comfortable in mine and had to sell it. Bummer too because it's a great hammock. Ended up going back to my old GT Travel. Tried a Switchback in Hot Springs and it felt pretty good as did Ed Speers hammocks. One good thing though, you want have any problems selling the top brands on here and getting most of your money back. Tarps are a little more forgiving. However, if you are going to go in the winter, I recommend getting one with doors. The Big Mamajamba is a pretty good choice with the door kit. You can leave the doors at home when you don't need them. Otherwise, you may look at buying two tarps and using one with doors for winter camping. I've used the Speer Winter Tarp the past three winters and it has done really well. It is currently being redesigned and should be back on the market soon. Tree to Tree Trail Gear had some good looking tarps in Hot Springs this year. I really like the way they re-enforce the edges of their tarps. And as I said earlier, their Switchbacks were pretty comfortable and very well designed. Lot's of choices out there so good luck in making yours.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast