Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    There is no "best setup", only the one you like the best at the present. Years ago I picked up a Claytor as my third hammock, it is still going strong. The Claytor's don't get a lot of notice 'round here. But those of us who have them, they end up as our go-to hammock for a variety of reasons. In the end, you will either get one hammock and that will be "the best for you" since you will have it all figured out. Or you will end up with a number of hammocks/tarps/insulation etc..., and probably still have your favorite which may be very different than the masses. No matter what you end up with, enjoy the life above (the ground).

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I started with a Trek Light double, and it's still my favorite. I tried the WBBB & Traveler, and just wasn't as comfy as my TL. Selling them on HF was super easy, and now other members can enjoy two very well made hammocks. I have a MacCat Deluxe tarp with doors added by 2QZQ, and Hammockgear 3 season Incubator & Burrow. I use my hammock set-up from spring to fall on river rafting trips. Instead of having multiple set-ups for different seasons, I tried for one system that would take me all the way. I've also added a 2QZQ breathable UQ protector, but haven't used it yet. For suspension, I use the webbing & cinch buckle set-up. Simple to use.

All that being said..... since I'm carrying my gear on my raft and not my back, my choices will differ greatly from an Ultra Light hiker who has to "weigh" their choices more carefully. Start simple, check out gear at a Hang if possible, then dive in. You'll figure it out. Oh, and one other thing...... hide your credit card. Once you get hooked, you'll want it all.
    KJ

I really appreciate all of the well thought out and intelligent replies, and I will try to do a better job of describing it's use.

I'm 6'1 and 175 lbs, and at 47 the ground has become harder. I'm a hiker, and I want my pack to be as light as possible while still being a prepared hiker. For me that means heading out for say five days at 33 lbs with a full load with two liters of water. That weight includes a tent and thermarest that together weigh about six pounds.

Many of my trips are one nighters and I'd like to get the pack weight to around twenty pounds with three season gear. I don't hike a lot in the heat of the summer, or the bitter cold of winter.

There are rules of thumb (for me) that I use to advise people regarding weight for various gear, such as a tent or pack should never weigh over four pounds, so with that in mind what should the upper weight limit be for a hammock, rigging and tarp?

I like things light, but also durable.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Hey, 750ml! Welcome!

I will echo the responses about trying to attend a hang or just find a couple hangers in your area for a demo of various brands and types and to get the lowdown on things like tarps and suspension options and see the insulation options at work.

I personally have a DIY made hammock, a WBBB, and JRB Bridge that I use for backpacking. I can't speak to the other brands, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Of the ones I own, I love them all. Speaking only from my experience and not to say the other brands are not equally great (because, from what I've heard, they are), for your height and weight and expected use, you can't go wrong with the Warbonnet BB 1.1 double with integrated bug netting. This (combined with a tarp and some insulation - pad or TQ/UQ) would be an all-around, light-weight solution that will address anything you might run into out there. Hoping it might help you, here's a two part video that shows me playing with both my Jack's R Better Bear Mountain Bridge and WBBB. Note: I have since changed out my WBBB suspension to whoopie slings, making it a bit lighter.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/creative.../1/bGAFv8_cUCw
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/creative.../0/PX3n6whw_Qo

And here's Raul's fab review of the WBBB and Traveler - http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPere.../1/q3LD-GMzA5c

I recommend visiting the vendors area for product reviews and, as I said, HIGHLY recommend arranging a group hang demo to try some models out.

My best to you! I can't wait to see what you end up with.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    here's where i have ended up after a few years of hanging...

warbonnet hammock (traveler may suit you best if you're not out in the summer).
    zpacks cuben tarp - imo the best tarp you can buy

those will run you close to $450. in the hammock world, much like the rest of life, you get what you pay for...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have dealt with Warbonnet (WB), Arrowhead Equipment (AHE), and Hammock Gear (HG). AHE rules the roost for speedy delivery, HG is tops for customer service, and WB is as reliable as they get. Now, the quality and customer service on all three are great...great enough to find no real fault with any of them. The vendors on HF rule so you can't go wrong with others not listed either.

In your shoes these would be my choices (YMMV);

WBBB 1.1 dbl hammock and whoopies.
    HG Phoenix 3/4 UQ and Burrow TQ (3 season).
    AHE Shangri La Tarp and a Bear Burrito Oven (BBO).

I'm not in your shoes but my motorcycle boots so my dream kit is;

WBBB 1.1 dbl with adjustable webbing (have the 1.7 dbl and a Traveler).
    HG Incubator and custom Burrow (3 season, Incubator in hand Burrow enroute).
    AHE Shangri La + Toxaway tarps and BBO (got them already).

Take your time sorting out your kit and by all means attend a group hang if you can. Good folk here and I'd bet the rent someone would even loan you a rig to try at a weekend hang. Oh and stuff your head with Shug's beginner videos. HERE

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    For hammocks I really like the ENO Doublenest, or the Warbonnet Traveler. Or you could go DIY and make yourself a simple gathered end hammock. I think you can't really go wrong with any of these, and of course this is not meant to be a definitive listing, as I have not explored all the available bugnet-less hammock options for quite a while. I've been really happy with my simple DIY gathered end hammock.

I like having a removable bug net (because I don't need one in all seasons) and I use a hammock sock / cover for the coldest part of winter to keep the warmth in. Spring and Fall around here you can get away with just the hammock and a tarp and not worry too much about bugs for the most part.

To me this system is very flexible.

I did not address the tarp part of your question though. There are many tarps on the market that are great depending on how much weight you wish to carry and how much coverage you think you need.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    incubator+burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I went through the same thing as you, a few months back.

I came to the conclusion I've pretty much got the ultimate setup for comfort. Notice I don't say ultralight.

Hammock: Warbonnet blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Underquilt: Hammockgear 3 season incubator 900 fill
    Top quilt: Hammock gear 3 season burrow 900 fill
    Suspension: 7/64th amsteel whoopies, tree huggers, and amsteel tree hugger extensions (for really large trees)
    Tarp: OES MacCat ultra silnylon (I wanted extra coverage for wind blown rain, in many climates a smaller tarp probably would work fine without the additional weight).

If I was going to put together an ultralight setup:
    Hammock: Grand trunk nano 7
    Underquilt: Hammock gear summer phoenix
    Top quilt: Hammock gear summer burrow
    Tarp: Zpacks Cuben fiber hammock tarp

I doubt it would be quite as comfortable as my setup above, but it would be orders of magnitude lighter, if thru hiking is your thing.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm new to this stuff my self, and like you I read and looked around a bit. I set my starting budget, favorites etc...and a time frame to get the basic set up. I know from the on set that I would make a few items, and mods later.

Since I had limited budget I watched the sale page for a week or so, when my first choice didn't come up I bought my second, which was an HH Expedition, first choice was WBBB (of course a few days later it was full of BB, but they move quick)

So far so good, got the hammock, a new Maccat Deluxe waiting for me at home (I work on boats, MS river system), used 20* bag, Solite pad.... but my project list is getting longer...

All very good information. I'll certainly give the Warbonnet a second look. I'm hoping to get by with three pounds or less for the hammock, tarp and rigging. Is this reasonable?

I suppose it's time for me to start doing some real legwork.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast