Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3/4 or Full Length? Advice appreciated!

Hi all, I am putting together a hammock system and am trying to figure out the underquilt situation.

I mostly camp and backpack in the Northeast, strictly 3 season. I have a 20* sleeping bag that has served me well as a ground dweller, and I spent one comfortable night (right around 40*) in hammock using a therm-a- rest z-lite and a 40* 3/4 length underquilt (with 20* bag as top insulation)

I'm probably going to buy a 20* quilt set, but prioritizing the underquilt. The lesser weight, bulk, and cost of a shorter UQ appeals to me, but I do sleep cold and am concerned about lack of insulation under my head.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If winter is one of your 3 seasons then I would highly recommend a full length quilt especially if you are a cold sleeper otherwise you are going to have to take a pad of some type which will offset the weight savings of a short quilt and still leave you with the potential of being cold.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If winter is one of your 3 seasons then I would highly recommend a full length quilt especially if you are a cold sleeper otherwise you are going to have to take a pad of some type which will offset the weight savings of a short quilt and still leave you with the potential of being cold.
    Nope, spring-summer-fall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    A pillow can help greatly at the head end. I personally prefer a full length for anything under 50 degrees. If you sleep cold, that gives a great level of insurance. Discount full length models can be had from Wilderness Logics, Hammock Gear, UGQ Outdoors, anf Loco Libre, maybe others. The added weight is a small price to pay for comfort. Best of luck!

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I love my full length under quilt and I would suggest going full length. I used a full length one for months on months on the AT and they are very comfortable and warm. I started with a 20F from hammock gear and swapped out the the 40F for summer months and also use it on my inside sleeping hammock.

I also have a 3/4 and cant really notice the difference in bulk in my pack(40L). That being said if you really want the shorter one get an inflatable pillow for under your head and then sandwich it with your jacket or extra clothes you dont wear to sleep in. On colder nights you will also need something to put your feet on. I cut some sections off my zlite and use it. Sounds like you already have one of those to source from.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    In my experience, if you were comfortable w/ a 3/4 UQ at 40, you will usually be fine at 20 w/ a properly rated 3/4 UQ at 20. Just make sure to have a comfy footpad and pillow. Obviously, some disagree and need full length in colder temps. Only way to know is to try it and see. You will usually have good luck selling high quality, popular, nearly new gear at a high price if it doesn't work out.

I prefer a section of open cell foam w/fleece "pillow case" for the pillow and a self-inflating sitpad (I use REI's, Shug uses Thermarest's).

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Love my 20* Pheonix but haven't spent extensive nights in it at 20. I got a pad from Dutch I believe was around a half oz, or an oz. Works well and doubles as a comfy butt pad.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like 3/4 UQs down to 30* F. Anything below that, and I feel a full-length quilt is best for me. I also believe in a 10* buffer - between the quilt's rating and the expected lows. So if the expected low is 30* F, then I'll feel comfortable taking my HG Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ.

It doesn't always work out, though. I went on a trip in early November where the Weather Channel said the expected low would be 37* F, so I took my Phoenix 20* 3/4 UQ. Of course, the low was 23* F, and my feet were freezing, even with an insulative pad in the footbox. I finally got the bright idea to put my wool anorak in the footbox, and wasn't cold anymore.

So figure out what you can tolerate - if it's weight that most concerns you, get a 3/4 UQ. On the other hand, if you don't want to be cold, get a full-length UQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I only have 3/4 length but if I was in the North East I would probably have gone straight to full length.

I guess I prefer it so far down to 23° which is around it's stated low rating.

My head never gets cold (from the bottom) with a 3/4 UQ. The Dutch sit pad has served me well.

Screenshot at 2017-12-16 18:19:16.png

I also have to insulate the footbox with a jacket when it gets down below 30°.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 Robic XL (SL, GE, 11')
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps

3/4 or Full Length? Advice appreciated!

I made an underquilt that is pretty much 3/4 length, figuring that my topquilt/sleeping bag footbox would keep my feet warm. Then I realized that since I usually sleep with my knees bent, approaching the fetal position, my feet are rarely beyond the underquilt anyway. As long as I have my pillow under my head, I'm fully covered below. So if you sleep somewhat curled up, that's something to consider.
    Last edited by keever86; 12-17-2017 at 22:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast