Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Looks good to me. Might try it myself now.
    Thanks Jim, nice video!
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

Hammock
    Anonymous
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Eno UQ + relectix
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I know this tread is a little old, but... I'm still finding the best option for me (until I can spring for a nice underquilt). On my first night of expected cold, I used a CCF pad with reflectix over top, and then my 10 degree sleeping bag. I also had a tarp to block wind. It didn't get as cold as expected (only 50 degrees) so I had no issue with being cold. However, I need to be ready for real cold weather (est. in the 30 degree range).

Medic Jim said that his friend slept in this setup (reflectix underquilt) down to 17 degrees. My question is "what else was in the setup?" I'm guessing he had a sleeping bag or top quilt, but did he have a pad or any other bottom insulation? Or did the refectix UQ work all the way down to 17 degrees.

If that's the case, I can't find a reason why I don't see more of these. That set up couldn't have cost $20 (w/ bungees & metal tape), and it doesn't appear to be too restrictive for diagonal sleeping.

What's the drawback?

Fijioz

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Drowning in your own condensation - that's the drawback. And yes, he definitely had a sleeping bag or TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Drowning in your own condensation - that's the drawback. And yes, he definitely had a sleeping bag or TQ.
    Punch some drainage holes in the bottom!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Reflectix works by, well, reflecting your own heat back to you. You need to be in almost direct contact with it to work. It works the same way whether you put it in the hammock and lay on top of it, or put it under your hammock with only the hammock fabric between you and it. Because it reflects heat bnack to you, it requires that you have an insulating layer on top of you to trap that heat, otherwise it just radiates out into the atmosphere.

However-----

If there is any airspace between you and the reflectix, its practically worthless as you would first need to heat that airspace---with your own body heat---before you would derive any benefit.

No insulation produces heat. All of them preserve it close to your body or, in the case of reflectix, sends it back to you.

Here is a bit of logic:

If reflectix is an effective insulation for hammocks, why isn't everybody using it?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have used reflectix, but only between the layers of my hammy. I like the warmth, dislike the condensate. I think a better alternative would be warm window. I used a full length 20 degree underquilt with a 2/3 length 20 degree underquilt on that. I had a layer of the warm window between the layers of my hammock and took that combo down to 14 below. http://www.amazon.com/54-Ivory-Warm-...ds=warm+window
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijioz View Post
    I know this tread is a little old, but... I'm still finding the best option for me (until I can spring for a nice underquilt). On my first night of expected cold, I used a CCF pad with reflectix over top, and then my 10 degree sleeping bag. I also had a tarp to block wind. It didn't get as cold as expected (only 50 degrees) so I had no issue with being cold. However, I need to be ready for real cold weather (est. in the 30 degree range).

Medic Jim said that his friend slept in this setup (reflectix underquilt) down to 17 degrees. My question is "what else was in the setup?" I'm guessing he had a sleeping bag or top quilt, but did he have a pad or any other bottom insulation? Or did the refectix UQ work all the way down to 17 degrees.

If that's the case, I can't find a reason why I don't see more of these. That set up couldn't have cost $20 (w/ bungees & metal tape), and it doesn't appear to be too restrictive for diagonal sleeping.

What's the drawback?

Fijioz
    he was just using a sleeping bag with not sure the rating of the bag.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Reflectix works by, well, reflecting your own heat back to you. You need to be in almost direct contact with it to work. It works the same way whether you put it in the hammock and lay on top of it, or put it under your hammock with only the hammock fabric between you and it.
    Interesting statement. I find there is much more perceived warmth when there is insulation (sleeping bag, blanket, etc) between me and the Reflectix than when the Reflectix is closest to me. Maybe the heat being reflected back is warming the insulation as it passes through each way.

Because it reflects heat bnack to you, it requires that you have an insulating layer on top of you to trap that heat, otherwise it just radiates out into the atmosphere.
    I think that is true with or without the Reflectix. Makes sense there would be a greater difference with Reflectix simply because there ought to be more heat passing upwards with Reflectix under us.

No insulation produces heat. All of them preserve it close to your body or, in the case of reflectix, sends it back to you.
    An important though often overlooked point. Feeling warm and adding warmth are not the same thing. Insulation is in the "minimizing the loss of what is already there" game.

Here is a bit of logic:
    If reflectix is an effective insulation for hammocks, why isn't everybody using it?
    Quite a few of us do avail ourselves of the benefits of Reflectix. Never heard of anyone successfully using ONLY Reflectix though.

Cheers!
    (insert pithy quote here)

I used a small chunk to solve the cold feet problem. I Had a 5 foot by 24 inch peace on the inside. It went from the upper thigh and curled around the top of my feet, above the sleeping bag. I had Hennesy insulation on the outside, which is good enough at 30 except for the feet.

another time, reflectix worked alone on the inside at 40, no under quilt. I wonder how long it will last. Does it wear out quickly.

For me, the trick was to cut it 2 feet extra long and let the extra curl over the top of my feet. made a big differance.

Hammock
    Mana Outdoors dbl. 10.8ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Outdoors
    Insulation
    UGQ(10* UQ,30* TQ)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Dutch
    Has anyone tried using reflectix between their hammock and underquilt?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast