Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grey721 View Post
    You"re using a lot of fancy lingo I don"t understand ("R value", "radiant", "degree solution")
    The "R value" is the same number you see on a roll of pink insulation at the home improvement store. Roughly speaking, an R value of 1 provides about 11 degrees of insulation. So if you get cold at 70, an R 1 pad will keep you warm down to about 59.

"Radiant" is what Reflectix is. It is a radiant heat barrier. I blocks the emission of heat via radiation.

If I say a "16 degree solution", I mean that an average person will remain warm to 16 degrees F.

There are three types of heat transfer: conductive, convective and radiant. All of them apply to hammocks.
    Reflectix stops radiant heat loss with the aluminized outer covering. It stops convective loss by being wind and water proof. Conductive heat retention is accomplished with its R value.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Been thinking about this Reflectex UQ thing. And what I can come up with is that it would require some serious geometry to get a proper snug fut under the hammock but with that would come added wieght. I'm not sure if it would be viable over a traditional UQ. Of course the other option would be to use Reflectix as a pad in a double layer or inside a single layer.

Of course I could be completely off with my thinking of this.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasen4_30 View Post
    I've been having similar thoughts.

My thinking is taking some silnylon and attaching an emergency blanket to it and making an underquilt. I have a 70D silnylon tarp I got extra when I bought my HH ULBP. I was thinking of using that cutting the same size as my JRB underquilt then attaching an emergency blanket reflective side up using spray adhesive. A summertime underquilt/ doublelayer hammock. Light weight and not as bulky as reflectics.

Any thoughts or comments?
    That's an awful ot of work when you can get one of these for 12 bucks already bonded and finished. The heavy space blankets weigh about the same as nylon but already have a reflective side. They're also much longer lasting and make less noise than mylar. I've had mine for years. It already has grommets and can be used as a ground cloth, tarp extension, weather shield or as a 10-15 degree boost for insulation.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Been thinking about this Reflectex UQ thing. And what I can come up with is that it would require some serious geometry to get a proper snug fut under the hammock but with that would come added wieght. I'm not sure if it would be viable over a traditional UQ. Of course the other option would be to use Reflectix as a pad in a double layer or inside a single layer.

Of course I could be completely off with my thinking of this.
    You're pretty much on track. As a pad, you only need about 25" wide by however long you want. That sort of set up can be rolled to the size of any other 1/4" pad. As an UQ, you need wider coverage and more seams.
    Honestly, turning reflectix into an UQ sounds about as viable as turning a Hammock Gear Phoenix into a fractional pad.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Don't misunderstand me. I'd love to be wrong and see a Reflectix UQ work out well.
    That being said, An UQ generally needs to have a snug fit to under hammock to keep heat from escaping. Perhaps instead of Reflectix, you might want to consider Insul-Bright or Warm Window. The Warm Window would not need much if any sewing. You'd just need to find a way craft a suspension for it.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    you guys are the best
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Reflectix is ok, I personally wouldn't use it under 35-40 degrees. It provides very little wind protection as well. Before I bought an UQ I thought it was the best thing ever. It's great on a nice sunny day for sure!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Reflectix is ok, I personally wouldn't use it under 35-40 degrees. It provides very little wind protection as well. Before I bought an UQ I thought it was the best thing ever. It's great on a nice sunny day for sure!
    Isn't reflectix impermeable to wind and water? That should mean that no wind can penetrate it. Now if the reflectix were not used with sufficient coverage, any area not covered would be susceptible to convective heat loss.
    Reflectix alone has an R value of 1.1 when it has no air gaps. That would be useful only to the 54-59 degree range with no other insulation. If one were using a sleeping bag instead of a TQ, another 10-15 degrees might be had depending on the insulation in the bag and how much it is compressed.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Here is the one fixedbydoc made

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Looks better than I expected! Sounds to me like a really cheap ($50) UQ. Come to think of it, you could make 3 of those from one $50 roll of reflectix...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast