Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Thanks guys, Keep 'em coming. Please continue your experimentations so that I may be sure of reflectix's abilities. Can't Stop, please push your friend to make a video. Please let me know when and where I can find it.
    leap and the net will appear
    -zen saying

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Are you looking to make a pad or an UQ? Reflectix works fine as a pad, but I doubt that it would give a snug fit for an UQ. A compromise would be to put it between layers of a double layer hammock.
    Ed Speer mentions using it as a pad for several weeks in is Hammock Camping book. Shug uses one for a sit pad. I'm just not seeing it working under a hammock as the form would make for too many air gaps to be useful.
    I see what you mean, but maybe, I'm thinking, if i cut it juuuussst right it'll fit snug and warm. To answer you question: I am looking to make an under quilt. pads seem to finicky to me so I try to avoid them or risk me throwing a fit and stomping back into my house. Also, although I do own two hammocks, one is a $10 army surplus mesh hammock that I generally use as an under belly gear hammock. And I don't plan on purchasing another ENO hammock to match my current anytime soon.
    Last edited by grey721; 05-26-2011 at 07:51. Reason: Forgot to add something.
    -zen saying

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grey721 View Post
    I see what you mean, but maybe, I'm thinking, if i cut it juuuussst right it'll fit snug and warm.
    What if you were to put draft tubes lining the head and foot-ends of the reflectix? This would require only a minimal amount of sewing and you could use whatever type of insulation. You could get a more snug fit that way I'm thinking...
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    What if you were to put draft tubes lining the head and foot-ends of the reflectix? This would require only a minimal amount of sewing and you could use whatever type of insulation. You could get a more snug fit that way I'm thinking...
    Please elaborate. I don't entirely know what you mean by draft tubes.
    -zen saying

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grey721 View Post
    I see what you mean, but maybe, I'm thinking, if i cut it juuuussst right it'll fit snug and warm. To answer you question: I am looking to make an under quilt. pads seem to finicky to me so I try to avoid them or risk me throwing a fit and stomping back into my house. Also, although I do own two hammocks, one is a $10 army surplus mesh hammock that I generally use as an under belly gear hammock. And I don't plan on purchasing another ENO hammock to match my current anytime soon.
    If you buy a roll of reflictix for 25 bucks, you can cut two pieces and duck tape them together yielding a pad 40" wide that bends easily in the center. You can trim the ends to a narrower profile to suit your needs. That should give you and R value of 1.1 and an unknown radiant benefit.
    The benefit of a pad is that it only need to cover the area that you touch. An UQ will need to be larger to provide the same benefit. Bulk may become an issue.
    If bulk is not an issue, just make a reflectix "boat" to surround the underside of your hammock using tape to connect the panels and secure it to the hammcok with some sort of tarp clips. When used in that fashion, the R value advances from 1.1 to 4.5 which is the difference between a 55 degree solution versus a 16 degree insulation level.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If you buy a roll of reflictix for 25 bucks, you can cut two pieces and duck tape them together yielding a pad 40" wide that bends easily in the center. You can trim the ends to a narrower profile to suit your needs. That should give you and R value of 1.1 and an unknown radiant benefit.
    The benefit of a pad is that it only need to cover the area that you touch. An UQ will need to be larger to provide the same benefit. Bulk may become an issue.
    If bulk is not an issue, just make a reflectix "boat" to surround the underside of your hammock using tape to connect the panels and secure it to the hammcok with some sort of tarp clips. When used in that fashion, the R value advances from 1.1 to 4.5 which is the difference between a 55 degree solution versus a 16 degree insulation level.
    You"re using a lot of fancy lingo I don"t understand ("R value", "radiant", "degree solution")
    -zen saying

Hammock
    Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?
    sombody needs to show me a finished product before i flip!
    EMBRACE THE SUCK

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Sorry for delay, Ryan was deployed this am with Red Cross to Joplin for the Tornado assistance, and didn't have time to do a video before he left. I will ask him when he gets back

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk
    I've been having similar thoughts.

My thinking is taking some silnylon and attaching an emergency blanket to it and making an underquilt. I have a 70D silnylon tarp I got extra when I bought my HH ULBP. I was thinking of using that cutting the same size as my JRB underquilt then attaching an emergency blanket reflective side up using spray adhesive. A summertime underquilt/ doublelayer hammock. Light weight and not as bulky as reflectics.

Any thoughts or comments?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasen4_30 View Post
    I've been having similar thoughts.

My thinking is taking some silnylon and attaching an emergency blanket to it and making an underquilt. I have a 70D silnylon tarp I got extra when I bought my HH ULBP. I was thinking of using that cutting the same size as my JRB underquilt then attaching an emergency blanket reflective side up using spray adhesive. A summertime underquilt/ doublelayer hammock. Light weight and not as bulky as reflectics.

Any thoughts or comments?
    My only concern would be moisture buildup. Vapor barriers are useful in winter, when the relative humidity approaches 0, but in summer, trapping all moisture would be really bad...

I still like the Poncho Liner for a cheap 45-degree UQ, if you wanted to cut one up and go single layer, it'd probably be relatively light, but still breathe in the summer... Some here have made Fleece UQ's, Insultex, or Insul-Brite... These are more breathable than a space blanket.
    Also, space blankets tend to wear out, as the aluminum is unprotected...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast