Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

MMG IX Sock without SEEP (half Sock) Review

I got a MMG single layer Sock without SEEP for my WBBB over the winter to extend my 3-Season CrowsNest into colder temps. It work great, I was even able to lay a poncho liner in it, loose, under the UQ, and that really warmed it up. It helped me keep warm down to 14* at the NJ Winter Hang. But, to my surprise, I've started using it more and more in the warmer weather to

In fact, I tend to think of this more as an UQ than a sock, an UQ that can be added to my down UQ to supplement. And, with only the 3/4 UQ and IX sock, I don't need a foot pad. When it's warmer, I'm good with just the single layer sock, no other UQ, down to about 55*. It's like a having a lightly insulated shell jacket around my whole hammock. It's like an IX version of the Speer Snugfit.

It's light, at about 12 oz., and stuffs into the same size sack as my CrowsNest came in. As a bonus, it also makes a supper comfy pillow in the stuff sack when not in use.

To sum it up:
    MMG IX Sock without SEEP (w/ CrowsNest Pillow) = Summer Kit
    3-Season CrowsNest (w/ MMG Sock Pillow) = Spring/Fall Kit
    MMG IX Sock without SEEP + 3-Season CrowsNest = Winter Kit

Here is my setup with the MMG IX Sock without SEEP at the 2011 Spring MAHHA. As you can see it goes right up to the zipper on one side and just under the shelf on the other.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    that's an awesome setup!
    i like the additive/subtractive insulation method.
    MMG is good stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Nice setup!

I made a sock with pockets to add/remove foam padding and use it almost the same way.
    As added warmth to my 3season yeti UQ
    or as summer UQ

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words, Dylan!

Just be aware of condensation when you have down inside the IX, and ventilate the sock when necessary. The SEEPless Sock, having an open top, is less susceptible to condensation. Some people rarely have a problem with condensation (like me). Of course, you can put your down UQ outside the IX Sock as well.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Dylan!

Just be aware of condensation when you have down inside the IX, and ventilate the sock when necessary. The SEEPless Sock, having an open top, is less susceptible to condensation. Some people rarely have a problem with condensation (like me). Of course, you can put your down UQ outside the IX Sock as well.
    Oh yeah, I ment to comment on my condensation concerns. My original plan was to put the down UQ outside, but I thought I'd first try my AMK Emergency Bivy 2.0 as a vapor barrier slipped between the layers of my double layer WBBB. I did that a couple of times in the winter and it worked great. In sub-freezing temps, I really think the vapor barrier was the key, but even without the vapor barrier, in not-as-cold temps, I had no problems with condensation underneath.

I also forgot to mention what a great match the SEEPless sock makes with the BBO in the cold.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    ... but even without the vapor barrier, in not-as-cold temps, I had no problems with condensation underneath.
    Most of us are fortunate that way... it's worth a try to find out! The key is to prevent overheating, so unless you are a cold sleeper, it should work fine.

I found a small wool blanket at a thrift shop yesterday... thought it would make a good supplement inside an IX Sock next winter.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts