Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

beginner tarp?

ok, so im sure that theres beenhese questions before, so i figured id ask the hammock gods that be. (i just got my feet tattooed so im kinda in a different place now....)

anywho, id like to get "my first tarp" something that can be 3 season, good bit of protection so i could possibly move around under it, possibly cook too if need be.

and, lastly since i have an eno and aspire to a WBBB im hoping to find something that could be universal.

not a gram weenie and dont need the most techno cool tarp but dont mind small pack size, and light is nice.

ideas? i honestly dont know what id need. i do like the ideas of the doors, but understand thats more for hurricanes and winter (which we dont have here...winter that is.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hey Rev. From personal experience I can recommend OES or Warbonnet Tarps. If weight is not an issue, I'd go for a little more coverage. You might as well get as much weather protection as possible if you are not counting grams. Doors are probably not needed for 3 season camping depending on where you are going to be camping of course. How much do you want to spend? Take a look at the OES Deluxe or Warbonnet Bigmambajama. I have also heard good things about AHE and JRB tarps. Wilderness Logistics Tadpole is a little more affordable. For local choices, maybe stores near you carry a Kelty or a Chinook Tarp.
    Last edited by Bubba; 05-21-2011 at 23:44.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Ohhh the feet. Them is ouchy! Aside from my hennessy stock tarp, my first tarp was the warbonnet superfly. For the price, the features can't be beat. Full coverage with doors and panel pull outs for 19oz I believe it still is. But then of course there's the large amount of stakes and line you got to carry, but if you don't mind carrying 24oz+ of tarp, go for it, you'll be set for any season or condition. Brian at OES also makes a nice looking 4 season tarp that should be considered.

Truthfully for 3 season you don't need that much coverage. My OES macat standard is perfect, though I haven't had it in a storm yet, I'm confident it'll perform well.

There's also always the middle ground of a rectangle tarp. Can be more flappy in the wind and may still use the same amount as tie outs as one with doors, but has a wide array of pitching options including floding the corners in to fashion doors.

Best bet is get to a group hang and see some different option in person.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    +1 on the Super Fly. That tarp will cover you in all conditions! All those stakes are a pain though. It takes between 4-12 stakes to pitch it correctly (and I do mean pitch). For ease of use get a diamond tarp only 2 stakes. My diamond tarp is 13'X11' and I've been in some bad storms withuot getting wet.

P.S. When I say stakes I also mean tie out points like logs, stumps, rocks, etc...
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    keep it simple bro. get a simple hex tarp from any of the reputable dealers. if you get a huge tarp for your first tarp you won't take the time or care to learn how to pitch a smaller tarp to keep you dry...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I've grown quite fond of my Hennessy Hex Fly. Big enough to make a porch and tons of coverage.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I own several tarps and second the recommendation for the BJM and OES you can also check out the mosquito hammocks Camo Diamond tarp for a first tarp. Gives plenty of coverage and is "light" on the wallet. This is my fair weather tarp for when I don't expect to encounter any major storms.

Also check out GARGOYLEGEAR.WEBS.COM Home of the Ogee Tarp. He has a tarp I would love to have that can pitched in a variety of ways.

Lots of great traps out there to choose from.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I have a OES Maccat Deluxe for sale!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

2 For sale

I have 2 tarps for sale as well.

PS...I like your bike.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I've got a wilderness logics big daddy tarp and absolutely love it. I highly recommend it. I don't have any experience with the other vendors stuff, so I can't speak to them. I went with wilderness logics to save a few buck, but I don't think there was any trade off in quality, and it's still made 100% in the USA. You'll love the coverage.

• + New Posts