Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ramblin the slap straps are easy. I still take them to the park at times. My next DIY hammock i think will have ring buckles. they do look easy.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Amsteel Slap Straps

How about this?

I made a bunch of continuous loops from some 1/8" amsteel I had lying around. I then attached them into a chain using larks heads. The rest of this particular setup uses a fixed ridgeline and webbing/ring suspension. I just set the ridgeline height at the appropriate hangle and then I can slap whatever hammock i feel like using to whichever rungs on the strap provide the best hang. So far so good and the setup and adjustability are super simple. I've got some more amsteel on the way to swap my webbing/ring system for a UCR setup to reduce some weight. I'll keep you posted.

Peace.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    I made a tree hugger over the weekend 42" long using a braid of three strands of amsteel 7/64".

Tried it out and it worked great. Only a small loss in wt 0.5 grams (Hennessey tree hugger 28.9 grams; braided 42" amsteel 28.4 gms.) but gained 3x the strength.

I had to figure out hoe to back weave the eyes for both ends.

I have pics but the wife has the camera and will be back end of the week.

I plan to make another about 60" using 3 strands of different colors. It will make the weaving of the end eyes much easier.

By the way, I use a toggle and not a carabiner to attach to a whoopie sling.

nice and light, great to develop skills, but not good for the tree.
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I tried spacing alpine butterfly knots on a length of Vectran a couple of years ago. Vectran is high-tech synthetic, quite a bit like Amsteel (but reportedly with less creep), pretty slippery. The alpine butterflys would not hold, they collapsed under load.

Others have reported success on HF with tying this same knot in Amsteel...so I dunno....YMMV
    I have used alpine butterfly's on amsteel with success by sheathing the 7/64" amsteel with paracord (with the core removed). I think i used about 10" of sheathing per knot, and used the core string to whip it, securing it in place. Works very well, and increases the bend radius which should help with the strength concern (A study I saw at the time showing significant increase in breaking strength with using knot's and sheathed dyneema, vs un-sheathed)

My concern with what the OP wants to do is usually slap straps wrap around a tree. PLEASE do not wrap amsteel around a tree to hang a hammock. It will damage bark, and regardless of if the tree will survive, it creates a negative perception of hammockers, and closes doors for us. Make sure you will use tree straps with this system.
    Last edited by Boston; 01-23-2014 at 08:47.

As an experiment, I used Amsteel to make a half-dozen small locked-brummel fixed loops, then locked those loops to a single line. I then attached this to a tree-strap. It worked, but honestly...the only advantage that this offered over a slap-strap was the gee-wiz-look-what-I-made factor.

I ended up replacing that suspension with a whoopie sling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123