WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Newest DIY Hammock - HH Clone for the boy...

The boy outgrew his old hammock, so I finished his around midnight:

Fabric is Ripstop from Joann's, netting is Joann's "Fashion Tulle" in camo-Gray. (gotta love their 40% off coupons)

The black stripe is a #3 zipper I picked up from Scott at http://Backwoodsdaydreamer.com Zippers were easier to work with than I thought.

Stitching was pretty good on this one until I did the bugnet... but it's comfortable... With luck I can finish mine (DL 1.1 fabric from BWDD) so we can go to Julian and hang Saturday night...

This'll be the third hammock I've made with a built-in bugnet. I'm finally getting the hang of sewing netting... It's difficult to get it to line up since the netting is so stretchy.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I like it and I am sure your son will have a blast in his new rig. The camo tulle looks great.

Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised when I found this Tulle, as most tulle's I have found were quite fragile. This is really strong stuff...

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    how do you sew tulle? I was going to buy some from walmart tonight, but didnt know how to sew it.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Really nice looking job. I am about to put the big net and zipper onto my hammock and am very nervous about the whole endeavor. Any tips?

Did you sew the zipper onto the hammock first, or onto the netting first and then to the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Looks awesome (I envy your boy). You are a prolific diy-er, and as always, excellent work!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    how do you sew tulle? I was going to buy some from walmart tonight, but didnt know how to sew it.
    I laid the tulle against a rolled hem and sewed with a straight stitch... I used a short-stitch length to be sure. It was no big deal. Check out the tulle you buy: most tulle's I've seen are quite fragile. I bought "fashion" tulle in camo from Joann's... I don't see it on their website, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    Really nice looking job. I am about to put the big net and zipper onto my hammock and am very nervous about the whole endeavor. Any tips?

I HEAR a zipper foot helps, but I found my stock foot sews a perfect line 1/8" in from the edge of the zipper. Once I got started, it was much easier than I thought. Since the zipper has a large raised area, it pretty much followed the edge of the foot perfectly. Don't sew your hem too close to the zipper or it will get caught, and if you're sewing fragile/thin netting, consider sewing a strip of fabric between them so you don't catch your netting in the zipper... (See the WBBB diy thread.) Go for it, you'll find (like I did) that it was easier than you thought.

When I sewed on the net, I left the raw edge up, away from the hammock, so the net would be pulled up, effectively folding the netting at the stitching. (does this make sense?) when I was done, there were a few spots where I had to trim the edge, but it came out great.

Did you sew the zipper onto the hammock first, or onto the netting first and then to the hammock?
    Zipper first then netting.

Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Looks awesome (I envy your boy). You are a prolific diy-er, and as always, excellent work!
    Thanks for the kudos... the stitching isn't always straight, but I think it's my best work to-date.

Hopefully this week, I'll finish mine: Double Layer 1.1 Camo w/bugnet, footbox. (lefty) Like a cross between a Jerry 5 hammock and a WBBB. It won't have the horizontal visibility of a BB, but with BWDD's wide 1.1 fabric (68") it's really wide and comfortable... It's heavier than I thought it would be, but I mostly car-camp, so I'll gram-weenie another hammock if I ever get out on the trail again... (I hope to!)

John

• + New Posts