Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images

Delay?

I ordered a MacCat Deluxe on April 29th. On May 2nd I inquired if the 2 week delay was still in effect and on the 4th Brian responded back that that yes there was still a 2-2.5 week delay but my MacCat would ship “as soon as I return from Trail Days”, now to me, the uniformed consumer, that means the beginning to middle of this week. Of course technically it could mean anytime Monday the 16th until Trail Days 2012. I responded back on the 4th stating thanks for the quick reply and asked if the tarp would ship the third week of May. I have not heard back since.

Since the 4th I e-mailed, PM’d and sent a message via the OES contact form all advising that if at all possible I would like to have the tarp this weekend and would gladly take whichever color he had available and would pay the up-charge for Express mailing. I have not received any response from any of the forms of communication I attempted. Well except for the comment in yellow that was added to the contact form advising he was “catching up with e-mails as quickly as possible”.

I would liked to have had the Tarp this weekend so I can do some new equipment adjustments and shakedown, for my 7 day trip I’m taking the week of Memorial day.

However I need to have that tarp by next Friday the 27th.

My frustration comes not so much from the delay, but from the complete lack of communication.

I am well aware that Brian is a one man operation, that he has a life outside of OES, that Trail Days put him behind, etc. I also know of the detail put into these tarps, I have seen them in the wild and would go as far as saying they are of extreme quality. I was also aware when I placed the order that this has happened before, and is why based on the blog post dated April 13th, I figured on 3 weeks.

The tarp may be done, maybe ready ship, or is next in line, I don’t know, because there has not been a response, at least to me.

So, if anyone does have steady contact with Brian. Could someone check on the status of order # 3416?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I know he was making a couple of stops on his way home from Trail Days, so that may be the reason for the lack of communication.
    Still kind of surprising you haven't heard from him at this point.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I'm sure he'll make it happen by memorial day. My experience with Brian has been amazing. I can understand the frustration strictly from lack of communication. I get it as well. But its not unlikely that he has 50+ emails waiting for him at home on top of the big catch up.

By the way I emailed him a few days ago and still ahvent got a response if that helps.

P.s. - if you read this Brian, feel free to put my email on the back burner.
    Last edited by exup; 05-20-2011 at 10:53. Reason: edit?

That is strange, usually there is a slight delay in communication, but not as much as you describe! From my dealings with him he has always gotten me my product in the time frame agreed on!

If things should fall through you could check the For Sale thread and see if there is something that would work for you there??
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    ...he has 50+ emails waiting for him at home on top of the big catch up.
    I'd quess more like 50+ emails per day!!

I honestly think people of unrealistic expectations of the cottage vendors
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    He used to have similar delays when school interfered with business. Now that school is finished, maybe he is beginning to have a social life. Nah, I figure he is so backed up from Trail Days, he isn't even sure if it is night or day.

Take care, and I hope the tarp arrives soon.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    It's no help to you at this point - but I tried buying any cottage gear this month slightly used on the forums - due to the projected wait times surrounding Trail Days.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I'd quess more like 50+ emails per day!!

I honestly think people of unrealistic expectations of the cottage vendors
    I have been dealing with cottage vendors in varying forms for 15+ years, and have heard varying reasons for delays ranging from houses/workshops burning down to shipping containers sinking. Every time I received a response in a reasonable amount of time, it may have taken using a different e-mail address (spam ate the original), or making a phone call etc but I never had someone pretty much ignore attempted contacts. Over a week and three different forms of communication without even an irritated "I'm working on it" reply in my opinion is unacceptable.

I hope he did generate a lot of interest and business at Trail Days, and I am sure he is dealing with that and it may be causing the issue, however my order was placed two weeks before Trail days (ok 13 days).

My only expectation is receiving (or the shipment of) goods that have been paid for in the time frame stated by the business.

Maybe when Brian is this backed up, he should look for a volunteer to monitor a "[email protected]" e-mail address who just kicks out responses. All Brian would have to do is provide this volunteer a spreadsheet once or twice a week with the order #, expected ship date and delay reason. Any custom order inquiries etc get funneled to Brian. I am pretty sure given the following OES tarps here that someone would gladly take an hour every other day or so to do this. Hell, Brian could throw whomever a 20% discount for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    It's no help to you at this point - but I tried buying any cottage gear this month slightly used on the forums - due to the projected wait times surrounding Trail Days.
    Yeah, when I ordered (04/29/2011) I had not seen a post here or comment on the OES website about trail days.
    Last edited by termite; 05-20-2011 at 12:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Probably right, he should be better at communicating. No argument there.

Personally, I'd rather he spent his time making tarps. An assistant might not be a terrible idea, but realistically he's only just now gearing up for full-time tarp making. Prior to Trail Days, it was kind of a hobby between college exams. Yes, he set a new record for himself at Trail Days this year on orders. And yeah, thru-hikers probably get moved to the front of the build list; they would if it was my business.

I'm not a patient person, so I get where you are coming from. However, Brian's reputation for being a little slow sometimes is almost equal to his reputation as a premier tarp builder. You gave yourself a month before you needed the tarp; little less actually. That's almost an unrealistic expectation considering the average wait time seems to be 2 weeks to a month for a MacCat that isn't in stock at the point of order. There are 'cottage shops' that have their gear built in large batches and there are 'cottage shops' that effectively make it to order by their own hands. Brian is in the later category, so patience isn't just a virtue...it's a requirement.

Still, I'll bet you one of my MacCats that you have it by the 27th. In fact, I bet it ships in the next day or two.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl /traveler 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    camo superfly/ BMJ
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies

delay?

Is it worth worring over?
    The end of the world is scheduled for Saturday and if its true you will nver get to use it anyway.
    Seriosly, the guy is a reputable dealer he will get it taken care of.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast