WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Woopie sling / strap length

Hello all, I'm thinking of switching to whoopie slings for my WBBB. I'm currently using the stock webbing & cinch buckle suspension.

Question: for most east coast / appalachian hanging, how long of a tree saver webbing strap do you recommend, and how long of a whoopie sling do you recommend?

I've searched the forums and most of my searching for "whoopie sling and length" has returned detailed instructions on how to measure and make my own whoopie sling or UCR suspension. I'm looking to buy a premade sling. I just want to know if I should order a 4, 6, or 8 foot whoopie sling and how much webbing I should add.

Thanks
    Justin

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    6 foot huggers and 6 foot slings are most typical. They will cover almost any hang you'll want to do.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I'm using 6' slings and 6' straps and have only had trouble 2 times. I think I'm going to lower that to 3 or 4' straps because I always have my amsteel extenders anyway. They are 5'.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    We've got some crazy big live oaks here in FL so I went with 10' straps. For most Appalachian trees this is kind of overkill. It's nice though I have an extra couple of feet of strap dangling down on each end (just in case of a strap failure). This is also a very convenient place to hang my pack, boots etc if it's good weather. I'll just put in another hitch using a handy stick on the free strap then hang my goodies. I think my whoopies are 6' (JRB standard).

You will find varying replies on this as some go as minimal as they can, and then other's who don't really care about weight or have HUGE Tree's in their area have longer suspension! Also area's that you frequently hang will play a roll, Southern Appalachian vs. mid vs Northern Appalachian common tree diameter would/could be different from each other!

As Angrysparrow mentioned most start with 6/6 and this is the most common and probably the best starting point and after some time with them you can change do different length's if needed!

I use to use 6ft straps and 6ft whoopies, I have since switched to 4ft straps and 6ft whoopies, here shortly I will be shortening my whoopies to 4ft! I also carry 2ft dynaglide extenders so if I can't find tree's small enough in diameter (which doesn't happen too often anymore) for my 4ft straps to fit around! I think in the last 5 hiking trips (each trip being about 4-7 days long) I have had to use them maybe 4-5 times!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL / WB Edge/SF
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    6 ft huggers and 6 ft whoopies are a good start. You could also use the long webbing from the stock wbbb suspension as straps for a little while until you work out a comfortable length for you, that its as long a you don't mind carrying huge huggers for a little while.

• + New Posts