Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Was this a full length or partial uq? If partial, you may have needed a pad under your feet.

There are a myriad of other things that can impact the lowest temperature an uq can go. Bomber mentioned several. I would add wind, clothing, additional layers, cold/hot sleeper, tarp pitch, hot water bottle… The list goes on, but I don’t think a 20* uq should fail at 50* even without any of these additional factors as long as the fit is tight. This seems to indicate an air gap to me.

There's a reason we call this CBS, because the cold is coming from underneath. It’s almost always due to either insufficient loft for the ambient temperatures (unlikely in a 20* uq with 50* ambient and little wind) or an air gap/bubble. I would make absolutely certain that the uq is snug up against the hammock, not just at the ends but also along the entire length. This cannot be ascertained while the hammock is empty. You need someone, preferably yourself, in the hammock to see how snug the fit is when the hammock is under load. Also, make sure that the down isn't compressed. You may have to give it a good shake-out before hanging the uq.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakozacho View Post
    Nice to see another hanger so close to me (Conyers).
    I actually live in conyers now as well

I may give it another go at it tonight with the pad and carefully noting the uq's position/tightness.
    "Lets Start Today"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    when I was in barnesville a couple of weeks ago - i didn't have anything under my feet & got quite cold. it was cold dry air in barnesville- kind of how it was last night around here in Acworth. try again with something under your feet
    Barnesville? You should have rang. That is where I live.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling

Thumbs up

You say that you cinched everything up tight. Which I suspect is your Problem, on my blackbird I leave about 14"open on each end. So as not to compress the down. And have been warm at 20 degrees

K

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    what you need to do the first few times is actually get in the hammock and have someone else doing the adjustments while you're in there. then it will be sealed up correctly. after that you can get out and see what it looks like when there's no one in there to be able to replicate the adjustments later.

there's no way you should be cold in the 40s with a winter uq.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Sounds like drafts to me, due to air gaps. It does help to have someone assist you in making adjustments. Bottom line is if the UQ isn't snug against your body, then drafts can certainly cool you off. If you have shock cord on the sides, then it needs to be tight enough to lift the UQ snug against you. The end channels need to be adjusted so that the UQ fits snug against the hammock on the ends. I was having some cold spots with my Incubator, until I had someone adjust it while I was in the hammock. The solution was actually loosening the foot end channel just a bit. When it was cinched up tight, it didn't fit as well. Each hammock/body combination takes some tweaking. Just be patient.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/LeighloUQ
    Suspension
    webbing & whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    You say that you cinched everything up tight. Which I suspect is your Problem, on my blackbird I leave about 14"open on each end. So as not to compress the down. And have been warm at 20 degrees

K
    ^ This.

I just bought one of Leighlo's UQs. Heard so much about them, so excited when waiting, and my first night out with it, was cold! I was very disappointed, and was almost embarrassed that she could have messed up the UQ, that it was defective.

I contacted her, and got a long response with very good directions on how to hang the UQ. After reading and making the proper adjustments, I realized that the UQ was too tight under me, and I was compressing the insulation to the point that it was no longer effective. I hung the UQ again, making sure that when I laid in the hammock, it JUST BARELY snugged up to my shoulders, back, and legs. The down insulation was not compressed, and I was very snug and warm. I can't recommend her product enough now!

The method and technique that is applied to this gear is just as important as the quality of the gear itself. Play with it, better yet, get an experienced hanger to help you out. It's worth putting in the time.

WWhermit

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12