Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Haven't tried one but looks too confining for me for long term use. In a rain storm I like the area around the hammock to be protected so that I have a dry place to keep my pack, shoes, etc., and to cook. But like others have said, looks intriguing as a day hike/emergency use shelter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    awaiting cannibal photos ( that sounds funny)
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

me too.. cant wait to see the pics and get his take on it ..

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    So here's a few pics for you. I swear they are all the same hammock, but we're having one of those weird 'yellow sky' days right now, so the colors are all over the place. Factor in the ultra high tech photo gear I use (iPhone) and it looks like three different colored pieces of nylon. Oh well.

Here it is spread out. The corner is lifted to give you a view of the difference in surfacing between the two sides. A shiny side and a dull side. I use the dull side up for the hammock and shiny side up for tarp.

Closer view.

It has one tie-out tab in the center of each side and a tie-out tab in the center of the tarp's topside for an external ridgeline.

Now see, here's your problem. Threading the line down the cinch channel is a PITA if you don't have anything other than your fingers. I was apparently feeling very stubborn because I flat out refused to go get something...like a coat hanger. Nooooo, just stood there in the drizzle cursing. Here's the cinch channel.

Twenty minutes later...

And about two minutes after that...

It isn't a terribly uncomfortable hammock, but the material is understandably stiff. It would easily do for a good nap, but I wouldn't carry this on a multi-day trip. Too many other, more comfortable hammocks out there.

I lounged around in it for a while. Tried to do the 'pull the extra fabric over me while in the hammock' thing. Umm...whatever! I suppose with enough practice on exactly where to place your hips, shoulders, knees, and feet so that they are all covered, it could technically be done. But no way you're not going to get wet. The 'extra' doesn't come close to draping over the opposite fabric edge, so it's just going to act like a rain collector and funnel water down the hammock. It might just give you a temp boost on a breezy day, but a real pain to accomplish and not very comfortable once done.

I'm too lazy to put together lines to deploy it as a tarp right now. So you'll just have to wait for that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    aweasome man. I was mainly wondering abut being able to pull the other piece around to protect you . glad I know that thats not a great idea. I think id still rather carry a tarp but I dont know. Im in the process of slowly pulling my debit card out to buy a superfly but im not 100% decided on it
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    thanx you the man I was really wondering how good and how it looked in hammock mode
    They make pretty good wet weather hammocks as they are pu coated. When used in the Winter, it is its own vapor barrier as well. They are huge. I reckon I'll hang mine tonight while my Linville Gorge hammock "airs out".

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    So here's a few pics for you. I swear they are all the same hammock, but we're having one of those weird 'yellow sky' days right now, so the colors are all over the place. Factor in the ultra high tech photo gear I use (iPhone) and it looks like three different colored pieces of nylon. Oh well.

Here it is spread out. The corner is lifted to give you a view of the difference in surfacing between the two sides. A shiny side and a dull side. I use the dull side up for the hammock and shiny side up for tarp.

Closer view.

It has one tie-out tab in the center of each side and a tie-out tab in the center of the tarp's topside for an external ridgeline.

Now see, here's your problem. Threading the line down the cinch channel is a PITA if you don't have anything other than your fingers. I was apparently feeling very stubborn because I flat out refused to go get something...like a coat hanger. Nooooo, just stood there in the drizzle cursing. Here's the cinch channel.

Twenty minutes later...

And about two minutes after that...

It isn't a terribly uncomfortable hammock, but the material is understandably stiff. It would easily do for a good nap, but I wouldn't carry this on a multi-day trip. Too many other, more comfortable hammocks out there.

I lounged around in it for a while. Tried to do the 'pull the extra fabric over me while in the hammock' thing. Umm...whatever! I suppose with enough practice on exactly where to place your hips, shoulders, knees, and feet so that they are all covered, it could technically be done. But no way you're not going to get wet. The 'extra' doesn't come close to draping over the opposite fabric edge, so it's just going to act like a rain collector and funnel water down the hammock. It might just give you a temp boost on a breezy day, but a real pain to accomplish and not very comfortable once done.

I'm too lazy to put together lines to deploy it as a tarp right now. So you'll just have to wait for that.
    With the tie out points, one can overlap one side over the other and actually stake it. That does reduce the available room in the hammock, but it also eliminates the need to hold one side over with a hand. Unlike more breathable hammocks, this one doesn't matter when it gets wet. I've got two and they fall into the "rotation" pretty frequently. Note to the wise, put the pu coating on the outside for less friction on the inside. If you want to have a pad stay still, put the pu coated side inside.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Since you use yours frequently, you're the person to ask.

How is it holding up for you?

Mine has probably only seen half a dozen night's uses, so not exactly a good gauge. It doesn't seem like a stout hammock, but I'd like to know from someone that has put some use to it. I like being wrong about that stuff.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Since you use yours frequently, you're the person to ask.

How is it holding up for you?

Mine has probably only seen half a dozen night's uses, so not exactly a good gauge. It doesn't seem like a stout hammock, but I'd like to know from someone that has put some use to it. I like being wrong about that stuff.
    It's a pretty heavy material, and the polyester is more UV resistant than nylon.
    I cannot speak to "long term use" as I tend to use a few different hammocks.
    I have two ATHH's with one being a newer version. The old version was stiffer than the new, so it does not get used much. The "newer" one probably has 75-100 nights in it ranging from indoor, to backyard to actual camping. I can't tell of any wear on it yet. The only change I made was to the suspension replacing the S-hooks with spectra and cinch buckles.

I find that the waterproof nature of it lends its best use in either very wet warm conditions or cold conditions when it can work as VB between me and my insulation underneath.

Most of the time, I prefer a more breathable fabric, but it does make an excellent Winter hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12