DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Yeah, it was probably pushing its 300th night when I noticed water tickling my face. Even if it was worthless by that point, it would have proven its worth, but I have it back in action again. The coating process does add some noticeable weight. Unfortunately, I forgot to do a before-and-after weigh-in.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    That's good to know. Honestly it blows my mind that any tarp of the fabrics we use can even last 300 nights. Let alone only be misting at that point. talk about money worth, its good to know even after that you can put a new coat on it and bring it back to its prime.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I don't know. I wonder if it's the spray application that could be the problem? I had some other fabric that was advertised as sil but leaked like a sieve with that test. I did the caulk and spirits thing with a squeegee on that stuff and now can't get a drop to pass through under the sink. I'm sure your spraying is really even, but if that's somehow causing small bubbles to form on the surface, that might be a problem...
    I'm not sure, I'm going to respray it some day, but, it's a matter of setting up the spray room to do it, and I have no time this time of year. Maybe later. If the tarp worked well it would be great, because it is very light and compact for it's size.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I know I'm not alone in experiencing some misting under my tarp in a downpour. It's not really leaking; it's just very small droplets falling and tickling my nose just enough to prevent a deep sleep.

My main tarp is a DIY 10x11 with olive sil from OWF. I made it two or three years ago. It gets something like 100 days of use a year, and often gets stuffed into the pack soaking wet.
    I too have a DIY tarp made with materials I bought from OWF. Actually I've got 2 and my husband uses the other one. Both are in the same size range as yours. The one I use gets about the same usage as yours. I've noticed misting although I'm not sure if it's actually coming through the tarp or if it's condensation. I think for me, it's both.
    If it's raining hard, or gonna rain hard, I set my tarp up with a rather steep pitch and then I try to not touch the inside of it. This has helped with water that wants to drip, it ends up just running down the sides and dripping off the edges. I've never sealed my tarps except for the ridgeline where I sewed it together.

Keep us posted on how your newly sealed tarps hold up.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12