DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

My New DIY 15F Down UQ

Well i was bored and wanted to make a new UQ since i have not made one in a few months i wanted to keep my sewing skills frosty LOL

this one is my new 3.5 season quilt i call it 3.5 because this one was made to extend into winter

it's 44 inch long by 40 inch wide with 5 inch wide chambers 3 inch baffles with differential cut with the differential cut i got 3.5 inch of loft and 1.1oz ripstop
    i used 8oz of Hammockgear down (1oz per chamber) this quilt is very Full ... i packed this one with more down because i wanted to make sure it will go as low as i want it to without cold spots
    at this size it called for 6.6oz of down (44x40x3/800=6.6oz) so there is 1.4oz of overstuff
    total weight is 18.4oz with stuffsack

Total Cost was $75 and it took me 4.5 hours to put it together(close to 7 with prep time) ..( yeah i know i'm a speed demon with a sewing machine LOL)

Hammockgear.com - Down
    BWDD - ripstop,thread,shock cord,odds and ends

i hope to test this bad boy out this weekend i just wish it was 20F outside LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by G.L.P.; 05-15-2011 at 22:54.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Hold your tongue 20 ° this weekend

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Nice!

Have you used a 40" wide UQ before? If so, did your shoulders need more coverage?

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Nice!

Have you used a 40" wide UQ before? If so, did your shoulders need more coverage?
    I was curious about this as well. Having never used an UQ before, I'm trying to decide what width I need. Seems like different cottage companies have their preferences. Also, if you ever want MORE practice sewing and keeping those skills sharp, I could use a down UQ.
    Last edited by catalyst; 05-15-2011 at 22:40.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't Wait View Post
    Hold your tongue 20 ° this weekend
    HAHAHAHA i wish Buddy ..... it will be a few months till i can give it a true test
    i just wanna make sure it fits nice i made it short for a winter UQ ... i wanted to make sure it would pack down really small and keep me warm and be under 20oz so i'm happy with how it came out i kinda rushed at the end with the channels for the shock cord cause it was 1:30 in the morning and i just wanted to be done with it

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    That looks great! 4 hours....man, I can't even figure out how to thread the wife's machine in 4 hours...have no idea how I made it through home economics...

Cheers

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst81 View Post
    I was curious about this as well. Having never used an UQ before, I'm trying to decide what width I need. Seems like different cottage companies have their preferences. Also, if you ever want MORE practice sewing, I could use a down UQ.
    all my UQ's i made are one 40 inch wide i fine it just right and i'm 5'11" 210lbs
    i don't want alot of extra on the sides to cut down on weight
    it really comes down to how wide the user wants it .. i could make one 45 inch but it would take another chamber 1oz more of down and take the weight up over 20oz ... like i said it all comes down to needs of the user
    i used a 36 inch wide UQ once and it worked out nice so you really don't need a wide UQ thats just my take on it

to be honest i only make them once in a while i don't really make them for the masses just close friend really it gets to be too much work and i don't feel it's right to use HF's as a means to make money or start a small business that and with all whats going on in my life right now it's hard to find time to do it (i have new gear ideas i'm trying to get done LOL) .. 4.5hours was just the sew time add another 2 hours for prep time(measure,cutting all that fun stuff) but i never count the prep time in also the vendors are way better at sewing then me ... there UQ's are way nicer.
    mine are very simple no darts or pleats so it takes alittle more work to get a nice seal but once you get use to it and how to set it it's no big deal

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    That looks great! 4 hours....man, I can't even figure out how to thread the wife's machine in 4 hours...have no idea how I made it through home economics...

Cheers
    HAHAHA my first few quilts took days to make... it's really almost 7 hours if you count in the prep time but sew tine was 4.5 hours i never count in the prep time.... i dunno why i just never do

i make alot of other gear besides UQ's so i have a good bit of time behind the TI LOL

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    skinny for us guys who lay on sharp angles, but you definitely know how you like to sleep. looks pro

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    skinny for us guys who lay on sharp angles, but you definitely know how you like to sleep. looks pro
    thanks Wags
    to be honest i lay in a sharp angle as well ... it all depends on how you adjust it when you get in ... i never had a problem with it being to short on the width
    most UQ's are 40 to 46 inch wide
    but for the Length i cut it close on this one to save on weight so time will tell if it will hurt how well it works
    so i'll be using a longer pad for my legs for sure
    i plan on making a full length Ver of this UQ for deep winter car camping use...
    it will have an extra chamber so it will be 45inch wide and 72 inch long
    with 3 inch baffles it will have 16oz of down just alittle over 3oz per chamber if all the numbers are right

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast