Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    That looks great! Grats!
    Thank you
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    all my UQ's i made are one 40 inch wide i fine it just right and i'm 5'11" 210lbs
    i don't want alot of extra on the sides to cut down on weight
    it really comes down to how wide the user wants it .. i could make one 45 inch but it would take another chamber 1oz more of down and take the weight up over 20oz ... like i said it all comes down to needs of the user
    i used a 36 inch wide UQ once and it worked out nice so you really don't need a wide UQ thats just my take on it

to be honest i only make them once in a while i don't really make them for the masses just close friend really it gets to be too much work and i don't feel it's right to use HF's as a means to make money or start a small business that and with all whats going on in my life right now it's hard to find time to do it (i have new gear ideas i'm trying to get done LOL) .. 4.5hours was just the sew time add another 2 hours for prep time(measure,cutting all that fun stuff) but i never count the prep time in also the vendors are way better at sewing then me ... there UQ's are way nicer.
    mine are very simple no darts or pleats so it takes alittle more work to get a nice seal but once you get use to it and how to set it it's no big deal
    Thanks for the info on the width. I've pretty much decided on a 3S UQ from a vendor here on HF. Mostly kidding about making the quilt. I really like yours though. I'll be buying one very similar. However, in the future, I'd like to make my own winter quilt once I've had some practice sewing. With lows around 10-15 degrees, do you think a full length UQ would be more prudent, or could I get away with a 3/4?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst81 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the width. I've pretty much decided on a 3S UQ from a vendor here on HF. Mostly kidding about making the quilt. I really like yours though. I'll be buying one very similar. However, in the future, I'd like to make my own winter quilt once I've had some practice sewing. With lows around 10-15 degrees, do you think a full length UQ would be more prudent, or could I get away with a 3/4?
    this all depends on your needs if you plan to use it more backpacking go 3/4 ...
    if you plan to do more car camping go full i always used a 3/4 in the winter time and i found it to be just fine i put my foot pad in the foot box of my TQ so i don't worry about it sliding away on me ...

it's all good about the kidding i just figured put that out there so i don't get 20 PM's about making ppl quilts LOL ..

to be honest i only made 2 stuff sacks and thats it befor i jumped into making down UQ's i picked Dutch and Stormcrows brains for hours LOL i have them to thank really ... there really not that hard it's more planning then anything and once you get down the basic idea of it it's really easy to do
    all my plans and numbers are in my head i only measure out my chamber sizes and thats it everything else i do by eyeing it up and from memory
    but it's really not that hard it just takes time and know how and once you get that down your going to be pumping out some sweet UQ's
    one thing i stick to is i keep mine very simple .. no darts or pleats
    also i use this to figure out a starting point for how much down to use...
    LxWxH/fill power .. so take the one i just made
    44(length)x40(Width)x3(hight or the baffles)/800(fill power of the down)=6.6oz of down so i used 8oz to give it alittle overstuffing
    this is not a standard that i know of but it works and it's how i get my starting point

it's nice to make your own quilts because you can make them to fit your needs ... when i say $75 for the cost of all the fabric and down it sounds cheap but once you add in your time 7 hours x say $8 an hour thats another $56 that takes the cost up to $131 so if i made it with darts or pleats that would add another 3 hours easy to the prep and sew time it would be close to $160 so your not saving alot by making your own UQ but the pride of making your gear is well worth it

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Looking nice man! I bet you can't wait for the 15 degrees to test it out.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Looking nice man! I bet you can't wait for the 15 degrees to test it out.
    HAHAHAHA you have no clue man

i know it will do the job but man i wanna test it bad

Looks awesome! Really liken the green!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Awesome under quilt there, GLP! Good job.

BF

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    ...it took me 4.5 hours to put it together(close to 7 with prep time) ..( yeah i know i'm a speed demon with a sewing machine LOL)
    It takes me 4.5 hours of drinking just to work up the courage and patience to deal with baffles, so you got me beat!
    Looks like a nice quilt, looking forward to the results.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Looks like an awesome quilt. Very nice job. Looks nice and toasty. Cant wait to check out some of your DIY gear at the next hang or whenever we get to chill out next.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast