Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Glad you could be able to make it big papi, I was hoping you could. Dbasi, I'm guessing its around an hour from newark, maybe a little more. If we do wildcat do you guys want to do the same camp as we did last time? Either way I'd like to get some hiking done, so if that's the case ill probably park off that forest road and cache some stuff at camp and maybe do the big loop and make my way back. Unless you guys want to hike then hang somewhere along the trail?

I'm still up for suggestions though. Does anyone else want to go elsewhere?
    I wanna do that north loop too!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    HamMike, I'm glad you can make it for memorial day weekend. I wish I could make it out to east fork the 13-15 too at east fork. I've yet to check that place out yet. Any ideas where we should go for memorial day weekend? Wildcat? It seemed to have plenty of hang oppurtunitys. Does anyone know if there's water to be had along the trail? I'm open to any trail though.
    I don't think any of the water you might come across in wildcat hollow is advised to drink but my cuz and I did filter some past the old schoolhouse in that valley by the small campsite past a pine area. It tasted fine.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Papasmurf, I know the feeling, haha. Hope you can make it out for another day.

HamMike, the north loop is around 10 miles, maybe a little bit more. If I get there early enough, and its not pooring rain, one of us could park at the trail head and another could park by the camp area like last time and cache water and stuff there. I think I could knock the 10 miles out in maybe 4ish hours and be back at camp early afternoon.

Last time we were there we did have some beer and stay up pretty late around the camp fire. With me I can take it or leave it. I don't care. I don't mind kids either at all. The only suggestion I have is maybe picking a camp area a bit further from others in case we are up late talking. I would hate to keep the kids up. Also these are backcountry areas where hikers have previously established camp areas. There is no water around that I know of other than what HamMike mentioned so I would count on hauling water. The area we're talking is about 2.5miles from the trail head but a forest road passes by it pretty close. There's room for a few cars to park and that's maybe a half mile or less from the area we camp at.

What's everyone elses opionion on children.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    IF Eastfork I can go 14th & 15th.
    I used to maintain the backpacker trail there, some nice places around the lake with some interesting hiking. None of the hiking is terribly difficult, but it has enough hills to keep it interesting.
    NOTE: you are supposed to camp ONLY in the 4 designated campsites. I haven't in the 5 times I've been there AH (After Hammocking) so,,,,,,,,,,

My favorite place is what I call "White pines" which is directly on the Perimeter trail. It was a tree farm, so the trees are evenly spaced, & with the rain we have had in the last 2 months the nearby stream should have water in it. There is only space for about 5 hangers or so, but if we spread out A LOT, there can be space for more.

Campsite #1 has a large open area,,, not as nice as white pines, about the same hanging spaces.
    Campsite #2 is much like #1, with more hanging options. DO NOT GET WATER FROM THE STREAM ALONG THE (abandoned) ROAD!!!! It is the outflow from a sewage processor..
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I don't mind kids, but i like the idea of them spreading out so when the adults are up late, we don't keep the kids up. I also like to see people bring their spouses. The more women that show up, the more likely my wife is to try it out on one of these overnighters. She is working that weekend, but maybe sometime in the future.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I certainly don't mind families. I do however prefer a little room for getting up at night to "write my name" without offending any nearby hangers. It's a big forest and there is plenty of room to pick a pair of trees away from other folks. I'm planning on asking my 2 sons to attend (14 & 21).

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    IF Eastfork I can go 14th & 15th.
    I used to maintain the backpacker trail there, some nice places around the lake with some interesting hiking. None of the hiking is terribly difficult, but it has enough hills to keep it interesting.
    NOTE: you are supposed to camp ONLY in the 4 designated campsites. I haven't in the 5 times I've been there AH (After Hammocking) so,,,,,,,,,,

My favorite place is what I call "White pines" which is directly on the Perimeter trail. It was a tree farm, so the trees are evenly spaced, & with the rain we have had in the last 2 months the nearby stream should have water in it. There is only space for about 5 hangers or so, but if we spread out A LOT, there can be space for more.

Campsite #1 has a large open area,,, not as nice as white pines, about the same hanging spaces.
    Campsite #2 is much like #1, with more hanging options. DO NOT GET WATER FROM THE STREAM ALONG THE (abandoned) ROAD!!!! It is the outflow from a sewage processor..
    Yeah I wanna do East Fork the 13-15( this weekend) and wherever everyone else goes memorial day weekend( pretty busy weekend for most places).

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Papasmurf, I know the feeling, haha. Hope you can make it out for another day.

HamMike, the north loop is around 10 miles, maybe a little bit more. If I get there early enough, and its not pooring rain, one of us could park at the trail head and another could park by the camp area like last time and cache water and stuff there. I think I could knock the 10 miles out in maybe 4ish hours and be back at camp early afternoon.

Last time we were there we did have some beer and stay up pretty late around the camp fire. With me I can take it or leave it. I don't care. I don't mind kids either at all. The only suggestion I have is maybe picking a camp area a bit further from others in case we are up late talking. I would hate to keep the kids up. Also these are backcountry areas where hikers have previously established camp areas. There is no water around that I know of other than what HamMike mentioned so I would count on hauling water. The area we're talking is about 2.5miles from the trail head but a forest road passes by it pretty close. There's room for a few cars to park and that's maybe a half mile or less from the area we camp at.

What's everyone elses opionion on children.
    I have yet to do a 10 miler in 1 day.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well ill go ahead and plan on wildcat hollow, sun 29-mon 30. I will be arriving as early as possible to the camp where we stayed at last time. I will park my car along the forest road where we did the last time as well and bring water and such. If more the 3 other people need to park there I will gladly park at the trail head. I'm sure if need be people can shuttle others back and forth.

I will leave from the camp early to hike the 10ish mile north loop and hopefully be back to setup camp early afternoon. It depends on the weather though weather I hike, I may just do the 5 mile south loop. I will be leaving monday morning. I won't be in a rush though. I'm up for suggestions of different camp areas along the trail if anyone wants to do different. I wouldn't mind doing a good chunk of the trail sunday and camping further along the trail but the same place we went before seems good too.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing everyone I haven't seen for a few months.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I mightl be comin friday so I might park at the trailhead hike in and find a spot about 5 miles or so and camp the north loop sat night, then make it down to the group spot from the feb hang for sunday night. I'd like to hang on that north loop atleast one night. Maybe park at the forest road hike and hang the north loop sat night and meet everyone at the sunday spot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast