Hammock Camping out West

Just curious if anyone has hung much out west. Anyone hung in the backcountry of Yellowstone, Glacier, etc...

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Plenty of hanging choices in that country. Most of Y and G are well below tree line. I am heading off to Yosemite this Aug, and some of it will be above tree line, but I hope most of the nights will be hanging sites. I have seen hangers in almost every Western state. Check out the map of HF members.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've done quite a bit of hanging in Big Sur and along the central CA coast, with a few trips in Yosemite.
    Trip Reports: http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BeartoothTucker View Post
    Just curious if anyone has hung much out west. Anyone hung in the backcountry of Yellowstone, Glacier, etc...
    Looking forward to my first official/overnight hangs in the Yellowstone area on my annual trip this summer. Most will be in the Absaroka-Beartooths, actually. I already have the perfect trees picked out and everything (not these two, but close by).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Yellowstone is my absolute favorite place on Earth! I've never been there since I became a hammocker, but hanging in YS would make me a VERY happy person

Careful in glacier though. Bears!
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Many great places to hang throughout the west. Except for the National Parks themselves and California with its high population, the west is a very easy place to hike and camp. There is a lot of forest lands and relatively low usage, so the restrictions and impacts are a fairly easy to work around.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BeartoothTucker View Post
    No, but I have hung on 2 dif week long trips in the Wind Rivers of WY, not far from Yellowstone. ( plus another week long trip in the Olympics of WA)

Of course you can easily get above timberline, but it is also pretty easy to plan trips for sleeping just below timberline, and plenty of forest there. The only trouble I found- in some areas but not so bad in others- is there is so much tree damage due to pine beetles and so many years of drought. Some areas, maybe a lot of areas, it is a greater chore than usual keeping safe from widow makers. It would also be a threat went tent or ground/tarp camping in these areas, but at least you would be free to get out in a meadow.

But despite all of that, I have still done some delightful- and spectacular- hanging in this area.

yea, thanks for the info. i guess i posted specific to the parks because of the designated camping areas. are trees available? etc...

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    All the backcountry sites I have stayed at in Yellowstone have worked well with hammocks.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    The difficulty with hanging will depend on what kind of camping you do. Many designated campgrounds will have trees, but restrictions on hammocking, and if you are reserving campsites from afar and don't know if there are trees in all campsites, you may find yourself in a barren little spot and forced to keep the gear within the boundaries of it - in other words, can't walk ten feet and set up the hammock, without a ranger yelling at you.

Backpacking is different. Research the trail you are doing and find out how much of it is alpine. When I go somewhere high elevation I generally pack pads instead of an underquilt, so I am versatile in terms of campsite choices. Being prepared to sleep on the ground is essential for high mountain travel.

• + New Posts