DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

First DIY Hammock

I'm in the process of making my first hammock. I'm pretty excited. Ive learned at least how to approach a sewing machine and how to get it to crudely stick two pieces of fabric together. I figured I would post up some progress shots for your guys enjoyment. I'm planning on making a simple double layer hammock after this one because I'm not sure how well my current design is going to hold up or how comfortable its going to be but Ill let you guys know.

Basically what Ive done is take a single layer of green 1.1 oz RS and reinforced it with some purple satin that I originally got thinking I was going to make the hammock from it.

I appreciate any comments you guys have and thanks for looking!

Steve-O

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    depending on your weight the 1.1 may hold you just fine. i go about 255 and use a single layer of 1.9 ripstop.
    Hops

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think those reinforcements might give you some trouble. Once you have weight in th hammock, therefore creating tension, you might end up feeling like you are laying in a giant cargo net.

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    That's what I was thinking. I hope its not too bad though. I weight about 190 so I'll need a dual layer of 1.1 oz. well see how it goes.

Steve-O

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The reinforcements might prove to be the opposite. They divide the hammock bed into smaller pieces which would seem to be a good thing. But hammocks stretch by nature and unless the divisions are done with the stretch in mind you can actually end up making the stretch uneven and potentially tearing the base fabric along the stitch lines. I'm not saying it _will_ happen but that is my major concern. The cargo net effect is a comfort issue. The stretch and tear is a safety issue.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Yeah. I'm pretty sure this one won't make it into action but I've learned a lot to apply to making the next one! I'm going to finish this one though and at least try it in the back yard.

Steve-O

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Well I figured since the general conscious was that this design was a bust that Id just go ahead and string it up instead of putting any more effort into it. You guys were correct in the fact that it made some terrible pressure lines. I kinda felt like I had a divided highway holding me up but I was still crazy excited for three reasons. It didn't immediately tear apart, I was hanging for the first time in something that I put together, and I didn't hear a single thread "pop". I ended up being between two of the three parallel straps and I could have slept there but it would have only been marginally better than sleeping on the ground in a tent. It was very supportive though. Needless to say I'm just about to go order some more fabric and maybe some more tree strap material because there's a retarded amount of stretch to the stuff I have now. It was a 1.5 inch webbing I found at lowes for hanging air duct. With that said here is a picture I got my wife to take while I was in there!

Future plans are to make it longer. This one was 114 inches and I tied knots in the ends of the fabric to secure the straps so it would have been a tad longer with whipping and whoopie strings but from other pictures Ive seen here it seems like it should have been about a foot or so longer.

Make it out of a double layer of 1.1 oz material so I can insert a pad or something in the future and not have the pressure strips.

Continue with the green and purple but do it with one layer green and one layer purple.

Order some amstel 7/64 and make some whoppie slings or make some other suspension system.

Any other suggestions you guys have?

Plus would it be OK to take the reinforcement strips out of this version and either reuse the ripstop for a different hammock or maybe make stuff sacks from it?

Thanks for the input!

Steve-O

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Hey Steve - I'm glad you went for it. Moving forward from failure is the key to success. That was a pretty creative idea. Keep showing us your new projects.

Enjoy your DIY.

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveToTheO View Post
    Future plans are to make it longer. This one was 114 inches and I tied knots in the ends of the fabric to secure the straps so it would have been a tad longer with whipping and whoopie strings but from other pictures Ive seen here it seems like it should have been about a foot or so longer.
    Definitely get rid of the knots and try a few different whipping methods. I was using the WBBB method, but recently found that the HH version listed in the DIY Henessey hammock thread to have less calf pressure.

Make it out of a double layer of 1.1 oz material so I can insert a pad or something in the future and not have the pressure strips.
    I'm 220lb, and am working on a DL 1.1, having recently laid in one for a bit, I really like the DL.

Any other suggestions you guys have?

Plus would it be OK to take the reinforcement strips out of this version and either reuse the ripstop for a different hammock or maybe make stuff sacks from it?
    Whoopies and toggles are a great idea, but not absolutely necessary. It all depends on your goals. If I were car camping, I'd go with straps and ring buckles or tri-glides for ease of setup. Backpacking? go whoopies to save the weight.

Stuffsacks, overcovers, etc. could all be made from the fabric you have. I've re-used fabrics several times over for different purposes.

One observation: if you had a longer hammock, you would want a LOT more droop in it, and add a structural ridgeline. A suggestion on your next project: start with Knotty's DIY hammock in the stickeys at the top (Make your Double Layer), and then try different whipping methods to get the comfort you want.

120" minimum on the length, unless you're under 6'. I'm basically 6' and 10'6" is my plan.

After that: maybe a bug net is needed?

Best of luck and keep the ideas flowing!
    John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I love this forum....really I do.

Steve-O