Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    The only way my CCF pads work for me is by cutting them. I took a blue pad from WalMart and cut it in half. One half for my upper torso, turned 90° so the pad wrapped around my shoulders. The other half of the CCF covers my backside and legs. Works much better than a full-length pad because a full-length pad doesn't conform well to the shape of a hammock, since the hammock is conforming to your body shape and is much more malleable.

That said, my pad days are all but over because under quilts are superior in almost every way. As others have mentioned, pads are great for low cost and in moderate temperatures.

Pads do have one great place in my pack right now: I have a piece cut that doubles as my pack frame, sit pad, kneeling pad, foot pad, and lower leg insulation in my top quilt foot box.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    These pads tend to work the best between the layers of a DL hammock. They are 40"X60" which means that they are wide enough to cover your shoulders. The Evazote foam also stay put while bending more freely than blue ccf pads. When it looks like temps won't dip below the mid 40's, I often just use a pad like that in my DL hammock. If it is warm, I spread it out to the full 40X60. If it gets cooler, I can fold it into a 30X40 that is twice the thickness. I have other types of insulation, but this is about as bombproof as it gets. Water won't compromise it. You can use it for a big camp chair as well. At 30 bucks, it is quite a bit more than a blue ccf pad, but then again it is quite a bit cheaper than an UQ.
    If 40X60 is too big and 30 bucks is too pricey, try the smaller JRB version made of the same type of foam for about 10 bucks.

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

yup

Have to agree that pads are a bit of a pain. I use one when it's really cold to augument my 3S Crowsnest, or just under my feet on less cold of a night. Can't wait till i can get a full length underquilt. All that adjusting, slipping and unwanted folding gets old after a while.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12