Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

True weight limit of 1.1

I'm curious if anyone knows what the "true" weight limit of 1.1 ripstop is configured in a gathered end hammock. Has anyone tested it to failure (all things being equal and assuming you don't have a significant weak point in the fabric)?

Then, if you double layer, by how much is the weight limit increased?
    Last edited by Meteor; 05-03-2011 at 10:30.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    My wife and I have hung out together in a 1.1 that we made for a while. It held us at someplace over 350 pounds but it stretch...a LOT! and was not comfortable at all. There was no way we could get to sleep in it even if we had to. I have heard of fabric failure at about 300 pounds on 1.1 so I don't think that there is a magic number that says your safe up to X. Trail and error will tell you what you can get away with for both safe hanging and also for comfortable hanging as well.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would tend to agree - I'm sure there's no set limit due to variances in cloth weave and even the distribution of the weight on the load bearing sections of cloth - but the stories of stretch or failure are interesting to hear.

I would doubt that doubling the cloth would equal an exact doubling of weight bearing capacity, but I could be wrong.

If you two were able to survive around 350, I'd say I shouldn't be concerned if Big Cousin Fred wants to try it out...

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    So here is another question that goes with this topic. If you were to reinforce the edges with a polyester or satin and run about 3 strips of reinforcing material along the length and a couple going perpendicular to the hammock at the butt, a couple at the head/shoulder, and one towards the feet would it eliminate the stretch or would the puncture marks of the sewing machine cause failure?

I only ask because Im going to be trying out a similar idea for my first DIY hammock. So far Ive cut the 1.1 ripstop and all the reinforcement but due to the fact Ive never used a sewing machine I had a friends dad help me play with sewing a small equipment bag out of some of the spare nylon last week. Im hoping now that Ive at least had some experience with it Ill be able to put this thing together after finals are over.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveToTheO View Post
    So here is another question that goes with this topic. If you were to reinforce the edges with a polyester or satin and run about 3 strips of reinforcing material along the length and a couple going perpendicular to the hammock at the butt, a couple at the head/shoulder, and one towards the feet would it eliminate the stretch or would the puncture marks of the sewing machine cause failure?
    Gathered end hammocks take the weight across the middle of the hammock more than the edges, IMHO.

The reinforcing strips would likely stretch less, causing some wierd pressure points... think about the woven-strap style beach chairs.

From a tearing perspective, there are a number of hammocks (Eno, Beyer) that have seams down the length of the hammock without issue. I would personally avoid a seam across the width, but I have no experience with that.

I would think that 2 layers of stronger material would be better than trying to reinforce 1 layer...

Let us know how it works out.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts