Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Another Single Line Tarp/Hammock Suspension, Whoopie Addition.

I didn't want to step on anyone’s toes by posting this in their thread. I'm still kind of new around here, and from what I can tell it’s all friendly. But sense they are a little different I thought maybe separating them would help.

First off, the thread that got me interested in this idea was started by JohnOscat, UCR Variation. Then forum members Captn & ^shane^ came in with a little more input with ^shane^ showing a couple o pictures to help me visualize this setup. Then thanks to UncleMJM, he pulled from what I gather the original creator of this fine little setup, tbctx into it. He helped me understand more of what’s going on in the setup and posted links that he so painfully looked up. So thanks to those who have helped and provided the information needed. I had so many questions in my head as to how this works, I figured I might as well just make one and find out. After doing this I figured maybe someone else would like to see some details and this system in action, so a video was born.

Links below provided by tbctx, which took a but kicking using the search to provide.
    My original thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=ridgeline
    Another thread where it came up was:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=ridgeline
    Some pictures of my original one are:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=567846758

A little detail on this particular system I did, which I think is exactly the same as tbctx & ^shane^, correct me if I'm wrong fellas. This has whoopie slings on both ends of the continuous one piece of 7/64 amsteal instead of UCR's. The way this is setup is to attach your tree straps, then marlin spike hitch. After that I have this single line suspension hooked to my tarp with soft shackle prussic & S-biner. So I pull my tarp out, hook one end up, then the other, pull the whoopies tight, last tie out the tarp. After the tarp is all setup I can pull my hammock out and hook into the Alpine butterfly knot loops. Setup is complete.

A couple of notes before watching the video. I'm not a video kind of person, this is my first one. I shot this over the weekend and believe me, after many attempts to get what I have, I may never do another (you should see some of the bloopers). Although I do have another video I shot at the same time to share, so I'll get that up later. I also have video of this system without the tarp on. So you can see the entire system without the tarp. I can try to post that if anyone would like to see it also. It just takes so darn long to upload video; I even reduced the video quality down from the original HD format.

Onto the notes about setup. You will notice in the video when I get into the hammock that the tarp looks like it comes down allot, but please pay attention to the top center, bottom center, & tie outs of the tarp, not the top edges. If you watch this over a couple of times at that point, you will see the tarp actually doesn't come down that much. You can also see what looks like sag on the outside edges of the tarp. This is due to the fact that I have my doors just hanging and not tied up or down. I also speak about being able to run the tarp under this single lines ridge line. Yes you can, but, if you watch the top ends of the tarp in the video at the point I enter the hammock, you will see the tarp actually lay flat out. This is because your weight pulls the ridge line tight and flat, so water would have a little tougher time running out the flat line, but if you’re not in it or at an angle, it still could run down underneath. I guess you could add a drip loop/line or something. But if you’re really worried about it, just flop the tarp over then back under, no need to take it off to achieve this. With this setup, as mentioned in other threads, you achieve the same lie in the hammock every time you setup. This is because the butterfly knots are at a set distance/length and hang down from the single line at the same angle every time, doesn't matter how far up, down, or tight you string it up. The two trees I'm setup between are 27' apart inside. You will see the height I have setup in the video. I also set the straps up higher with looser single line, and a tighter single line. The Higher & tighter you go, the further off the ground you will be, the looser, the lower. With this in mind you can set this system up with the tree straps closer to the ground on a larger span between trees and have the same hang as you would if the straps are further up in the trees. I usually don't have too much of a problem with getting my hammock setup with a regular setup, nor am I as particular about getting the same lie every time. I'm one of those people who could fall asleep on a rock pile when tired, done it.

What I really like about this setup. Pull out the tarp, setup, snap my hammock on, done. Quick, easy, simple, with no additional setup required, and if it's raining, I don’t have to go back out into it to tie up my hammock suspension. Now you are limited somewhat to the distance between the trees, it requires a larger distance between them. This is because I'm using whoopies on each end with a 10" bury plus a couple of inches for tarp adjustments between the butterfly knots. I have not tested this setup without line tensioners, it may work ok, I don't know. I may make another set of tensioners a little smaller so that I could get the tarp closer to the ground if I need to. Who knows, you may not need them at all and I will test this. As far as strength of the system goes, I have not seen a problem with it yet. Like I said, I'm using 7/64 Amsteal, tree straps, and a carbon arrow shaft as my spike. The knots have not slipped a bit, and I doubt they ever would because of the tension that is basically put on both sides when loaded. I am 6'4" tall, weigh anywhere between 170-180 lbs. I have bounced around in it a few times, I have strung this thing up as tight as I could pull the whoopies, sat in it to get all the stretch out of everything, then tightened the whoopies more, no problems. I believe it’s a pretty solid system, for me anyway.

I'll try to get all my measurements on the system I made this evening and post those. By the way, it sets up just as good in porch mode along with flipping one end of the tarp over for a more open view. In porch mode I really like the tensioners pulled out tight. This way I can lower my hiking poles and my porch roof down while still keeping tension on the tarp without retying.

I hope you all enjoy the video and it's somewhat helpful & informative. I'll try to answer any question you have, but like I said above. (Spotlight On) tbctx and others are probably more knowledgeable about this system than I, mainly because I just made mine and still experimenting with it. Oh, check out my new Rastaman Black Rock Hat with different color threads. Sweeeet!
    I also have a couple hats coming from MountainGoat with some tarp skins. I can't wait to add those to this setup, and my head.

Link to video just in case
    Last edited by BearChaser; 05-02-2011 at 15:57. Reason: added video link.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Looks great Crackedup! Nice video and great set-up. Your write up is outstanding. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks, CrackedUp. That's an interesting setup - I might want to try something similar. Thanks for the info.

You should teach that dog to walk quietly - sounds like a bear coming past the camera.

Oh - nice hat.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Great video CrackedUp! Looking forward to the measurements to try this out.

And I like the hat - got one coming myself.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Thanks Uncle. I was hoping it had enough info to show whats going on with this system. I know its a bit long, but I like to try to get all the informaiton I can into something, as you can see from just this reply alone. Also thanks for getting tbctx involved. He may not realize it, but he helped me understand this system allot with just a few comments.

krugd your right about the dog. She's not the most graceful thing walking through the woods, a bit clumsy. Get her in water and its almost a thing of beauty to watch her swim. I'm really liking this setup, I have not had a chance to really test it out well, but I see no problems yet. Hopefully I get a chance this weekend to test it a little more. I think you would like it, and could adapt it to your bridge hammock.

dragon, I'm going to try to get those measurements up tonight. I have rough measurements wrote down, but I'm going to double check everything as I had to adjust everything a little on the fly. Your gonna love the hat.

I know I said I may never do another video, but I may try to get another to show setting everything up and how quick & easy it is. I'm already uploading another on an interesting frame pack I have, who knows, I may become a video bug with a few under my belt.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Great video CrackedUp! Looking forward to the measurements to try this out.

And I like the hat - got one coming myself.
    I tend to make my hammocks have a 105 inch "line" for where the end of the continuous loop is coming off the whipping for the biner to attach too if the loop is at a 30 degree angle (lets me switch hammock on the suspension at whim). I also take tarp length and add 2-5 inches depending on how I'm attaching the tarp to the line for a distance between the alpine butterflies and then adjust the loop size to go down to that 105 inches (loop length includes the biner). As I said on the other thread if you start in the middle and work out you will have it alot easier than starting at an end and having to force it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Thanks tbctx. Seems my difficulty is trying to decide on the size of the alpine loops. Knowing that a straight line would obviously be longer than that of a line trying to maintain the 30 deg angle, my issue was in trying to accomodate my largest tarp (12') and maintaining the proper 30 deg hang. It seems in the video that CrackedUp, in accomodating his tarp, had to increase his alpine loop size drastically from the original measurements he gave in this thread...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=31929&page=3

I appreciate all the help. This is a great setup and look forward to testing it out myself.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

- Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    You are correct dragon. My first attempt I forgot to allow for my tarp to be on the insides of my knots. Luckily I cut my line plenty long enough as I knew I needed to experiment. For my setup with the WB Superfly tarp, plus around 4-3/4" for connection points on each side, the distance between knot centers ended up being 141-1/2" (11' 9-1/2") and my loop length 19-1/2". I also have right around 6" from the biner I'm using all the way down to the larks head of the continuous loop on my hammock.

I'm trying to work on DIY instructions on how to get everything at least close when starting to make one of these. It's really not too hard, you just have to take into consideration a fair amount of things like tarp length plus connection, how far you want the tarp above you, how long your loops are, how long you want your whoopies. I think I started with an amsteal length of 492" (41') and ended up with just over an adjustable length of 285" (23') down to 156" (13') Approximately.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Thanks guys. Very much appreciated. I seem to have the general idea - been hashing the numbers around for a bit. Initially I wasn't even planning to include the tarp on the line - I tend to enjoy pulling up my hammock and clipping it to the tarp ridgeline to give me more room under the tarp to bang around especially when raining.

But I also want to keep my options open - especially for any beginners I take out who can do with a great and simple system to try.

The instructions would be great to compare against but in the end I may take your measurements as a start and just experiment away and see what happens.

- Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the great video explanation! I started experimenting with this yesterday and could not seem to get the lay right.

I had about 40' of amsteel an 11' tarp ridgeline and blackbird hammock. I started with about 12' between between the butterflies (after loading I just measured it at 12'7" my butterfly loops are 17". 3" until the woopie burry which were measured to 10" at creation (about 8" complete).

I took the stock suspension off my blackbird and replaced with an amsteel loop made using double fisherman knots thinking that would be the easiest safe way to adjust the lie of the hammock. Loaded double fisherman knots are not easy to remove from amsteel. I was able to adjust the knots, but it took some effort. After some experimentation I ended up with loop + biner sizes of 20" on one end and 14" on the other. Better knot suggestions for experimentation would be welcome.

I had the whoopies as tight as I could pull them and in order to get a comfortable hight off the ground I had to push the tree huggers to about head hight (six foot) or a little more. This was within 1 foot of my minimum ridgeline length, so it probably wouldn't work at all for trees much further apart. I tried shortening the loops on the on the hammock, but then the hammock ridgeline was too tight.

I never tried the tarp, but looking at the measurements it appears I could probably shorten the middle of the ridgeline and add that to the butterfly loops which may help some. Any other suggestions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast