Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Love the setup...Im about to start looking at a tarp and which suspension to use with it-- going with a setup like this might just make things super easy--light and did i say easy ..

Now lets talk about the real start of the video-- GINGER!!!!

Gotta love a sweet pooch like that.. I have a choc lab and a golden retriever also.. Such great dogs..

Thanks for the video

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    I would like to try this setup. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep whoopies at the whipping and make the alpine butterfly loop shorter instead. This would allow to play with the distance from the SRL to the hammock to get the 30*ish angle. Good idea ? Bad idea ? Maybe the answer is already somewhere in the forum, but I didn't find it.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I would like to try this setup. I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep whoopies at the whipping and make the alpine butterfly loop shorter instead. This would allow to play with the distance from the SRL to the hammock to get the 30*ish angle. Good idea ? Bad idea ? Maybe the answer is already somewhere in the forum, but I didn't find it.
    Womble, see post #14 in this same thread.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Thanks & sorry if I may look lazy.

I read post #14 and also the earlier post in another thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ound+clearance

I was rather following olddog's idea of post #18. I didn't see any critics to this.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Womble, this was the only modification I made to Bearchasher's design and I love it. Once set I've only adjusted the end whoopies one time and that was due to hanging over a small depression. There are alot of pro's to this system and so far no problems. I love being able to hang the tarp/suspension at one time in just a few minutes and dealing with the hammock when needed. An added advantage I've found is that the 1/8" Amsteel I used was left at the length that I had on hand which was around 40' long. After tying the Alpine Butterfly Knots and the 2 end whoopies there is still a lot of suspension line which allows me to hang on trees that others can't use.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Well, this is exactly what I've been looking for! I'm brand new to hanging. Bought a wbbb a few weeks ago for an upcoming 5 week canoe trip in MN and Canada. What kept frustrating me was the thought of always having to hang 30 feet high with trees far apart, needing to eyeball the angle all the time, being off and having to readjust, etc. This simplifies things tremendously.

I am not, however, a mathematician, so it simplifies things only to a point. Here are my specifics (and I'm hoping someone on the thread has the same and can supply me with measurements). 100" structural ridgeline for the wbbb. I'll simply be removing the webbing strap and leaving the aluminum trangles on for hooking to the biner (or is there any excellent reason for removing them?. My tarp is a Big Mamajamba (11' at ridgeline). Location of Alpine butterfly knots is pretty clear (same as BearChaser's 141-1/2" between the knots), but I'm a bit unclear on the length I need for the alpine butterfly loop. Do I use his measurement of 19-1/2" and add an additional inch or so for the added space of the aluminum triangles? After all that I'm assuming I just create whoopie loops on each end with the line left over (using 7/64" amsteel, which I have)? And start with 40', working from the middle, as suggested by tbctx?

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    I wouldn't dare doing the calcs for someone else before having tried by myself and reached a satisfying result. I spend my evening with trigonometry, my brain was smoking, but - yeah - it was fun. I only enjoy maths when there is a practical goal.

Another great advantage of this solution is that you can attach hammocks (and tarps) of different lenghts.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Okay. Put the ridgeline together last night. Deceptively easy. I put the tarp and hammock up this morning to give things a quick test. All is well except the ridgeline on my wbbb is a bit tighter than I would like (even tighter than crackedup showed in his video). To adjust that should I move the butterfly knots closer together (they can't be move much, as that would give too little room for the tarp prussics) or do I increase the length of the loops?

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by hommes90 View Post
    Okay. Put the ridgeline together last night. Deceptively easy. I put the tarp and hammock up this morning to give things a quick test. All is well except the ridgeline on my wbbb is a bit tighter than I would like (even tighter than crackedup showed in his video). To adjust that should I move the butterfly knots closer together (they can't be move much, as that would give too little room for the tarp prussics) or do I increase the length of the loops?
    You would have to move them in closer, and it usually doesn't take much to make a pretty good change. Couple other options it to increase the size of the loop in your butterfly knot or make your loop that's connected to your hammock a little longer. Those last two will be putting you further from the tarp though.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BearChaser View Post
    You would have to move them in closer, and it usually doesn't take much to make a pretty good change. Couple other options it to increase the size of the loop in your butterfly knot or make your loop that's connected to your hammock a little longer. Those last two will be putting you further from the tarp though.
    Thanks, BC. I'll try that tonight.
    Just for curiosity, I'm assuming you go prussic to s-biner to tarp so you can switch to another tarp, correct. Otherwise, is there any reason not to go prussic directly to tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast