Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I remember leaving the valley floor on a 112-114 degree August day and heading up to the Kern Plataeu. That night it hit 29 degrees where we set up...I can always slide my TQ off if it is too warm but there is no way to slide an insufficient cover up enough when it gets too cold.

HYOH but hey why not get some lighter and smaller packing insulation? Maybe it was missed but are you backpacking?

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would get a fleece with a footbox. Also, you should check out Coolmax or silk sleeping bag liners. I really like the silk ones for summer.

I like the retro aspects of wool, but it would be itchy in hot weather. Most wool sweaters today are high quality, soft wool. Most wool blankets are of much coarser material.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    I'm a fan of wool blankets too. I find they are more comfortable than synthetic blankets over a wider temperature range. So, I understand why you like wool. I have a couple of Fariblaut Mills merino wool blankets purchased before they went out of business and two more merino wool blankets from Australia which are a bit larger dimensions and a thicker weave. No worries about losing insulating ability like compressed down and thick enough that I've not had skeeter bites through the bottom of the hammock.

They are however bulker and heavier than a down bag or over quilt. You did not say if you will be hiking long distances. If car camping or a short hike of only a few miles I'd say why not give it a try. If spending a week on the trail or a long week end walking 15 or more miles each day you may want to look for something lighter to carry. My 2 cents.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Wool is again being looked at by a lot of us so don't feel shunned by the gram weenies..it's just the application. For BOBs and bushcrafting where durability and pure function are critical wool cannot be beat; and in both of these applications fire is a given and we know how fire and synthetics get along. For long distance backpacking wool still has a home in the ultrathin ultralight skin layers.....other than that and the gram weenie kicks in.

Hammock
    Double Nest
    Tarp
    AH Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wild/Log Down UC
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For now I will only be doing overnights and as for backpacking its on my mind but I am unsure of it. I know I will be doing a lot of car camping this summer and would like to do some backpacking but weight isn't really that big of a deal to me. I went through and after doing a lot of research have gotten my overnight pack to 15lbs without food and water. I have been working myself up and have been doing day hikes around 5miles with a 45lb bag figuring if I get used to the heavy weight when I do go with my overnight bag I won't have a problem.

Hammock
    Double Nest
    Tarp
    AH Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wild/Log Down UC
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am also a big guy I am 6'4" and 290...last year I was 350 so I am used to carrying a lot of weight around anyways.

Also I won't be doing any week trips I think this year...the most I will be willing to think of for some time will be maybe a 2 or 3 night but definitely no more then that.
    Last edited by Tradhistorian; 05-01-2011 at 22:09.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I like what Medicine Man posted, after reading the thread a small bit of info has been omitted.

The secret to staying warm is to trap air close to the body, warmer people with little fat can do it with a "Under armour." A wool blanket can do the same thing, but the thickness of the hair is scratchy.... Fleece is smaller filaments and traps air well, but not as well as a sleeping bag. When you open a sleeping bag the filiments are smaller and have ridges and curls to trap even more air and hug it close to the body.

So I hope you get the idea.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Woolen blankets are durable and can last for several years. Just focus on the proper care of these blankets and see them serving your need for decades. And wool is a natural fiber, woolen blankets offer extra warmth and comfort compared to other warm coverings on the market.Woolen blankets are my personal favorite because these are exceptionally good in quality, comfort, and material.

http://www.thewoolcompany.co.uk/ is a UK based company dealing in the manufacturing and sales of woolen products. Everything from the quality, texture and feel of their woolen blankets is out of the world. The company is dedicated to offering pure wool items, and their woolen blankets are very warm. You

Images
    Experience will solve all questions. Get your butt out there and try it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12